Cerebral Destroyer Update

19 posts

Flag Post

Hey guys, I’m Atreyu, one of the developers for Legacy of a Thousand Suns. I wanted to give you an overview of what’s been going on with the Cerebral Destroyer world raid and why there’s so much shinanigans surrounding it.

The plan was to release the World Raid today sequentially with 15-30 minute breaks in between, instead of simultaneously, across the three platforms in order to manage the server stability and ultimately lag.

During the time we released the World Raid on Facebook, a Kong player manipulated the Facebook World Raid link to be postable on the Kong platform. The player then posted it on the Kong chat and it spread. Because of this, Kong players were able to cross-platform participate in the Facebook World Raid and hit it.

Once we were aware of this, we found and banned the player, as altering/editing/doctoring links to the point that cross-platform participation was possible, is against our ToS and is a bannable offense.

We were at a crossroad at this point, because there were too many Kong players in the Facebook world raid that had already done their damage. Resetting the world raid, and shutting down the game for a maintenance would not be the ideal solution, as it would affect both Facebook and Kong participants. So instead, we opted to allow the cross-platform participation to occur for this one time only, which would not lose anyone’s progress that they’ve put into the raid. The consequence is the lag that is present at the moment. We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused and thank you for your understanding.

However, we have to be clear on something: modifying links to the level we saw today is a bannable offense and against our ToS. The person who originally seeded the FB WR link on Kong today has been banned, but those who’ve participated/are participating in the cross-platform raid will not be. However, if we find this happens again, you will get banned.

Meanwhile, we will be working to ensure our servers are stable and that you guys have a fun, lag-free experience. The issue which allowed this cross-platform situation to happen was identified and addressed.

So thank you for playing Legacy of a Thousand Suns, and enjoy!

http://www.kongregate.com/games/5thPlanetGames/legacy-of-a-thousand-suns?kv_action_type=raidhelp&kv_difficulty=1&kv_hash=3itH0gGPoy&kv_raid_boss=cerebral_destroyer&kv_raid_id=4452653

Flag Post

Everything fine and nice but your threat to ban anyone in the future who may use a converted link is foolish.
Check the link yourself has posted … Nothing on it gives a hint that this is a fb link.

Moreover when a link is passed to someone through a chat or an http text the link is hidden behind the anchor …
If you are actually suggesting that players of LoTS should check the source portions of chats or other link transfering media then I am afraid that you have a very wrong idea
of what is expected from players and what from developers.

With regards
Norach

Flag Post

I have to agree with Norach, knowingly using a faked or altered link is one thing (or doing the altering itself) – but using a link that has been posted in the chat, one expects it to be a good and normal link. Expecting the generic user to investigate every link is a pipe dream, and can’t be honestly enforced – while it’s easy to track down who FIRST posted such a link and punish that kind of transgression should be enforced.

Flag Post

The world needs to banish only one sinner at a time, such as Hitler.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Krrak:

I have to agree with Norach, knowingly using a faked or altered link is one thing (or doing the altering itself) – but using a link that has been posted in the chat, one expects it to be a good and normal link. Expecting the generic user to investigate every link is a pipe dream, and can’t be honestly enforced – while it’s easy to track down who FIRST posted such a link and punish that kind of transgression should be enforced.

+1

Flag Post

Devs take off their responsibility for this event though they’re guilty in it. “We won’t do correct link, we will ban anyone who is making cross-platform link”. Ban for using security flaw.

Flag Post

Norach has this one; to hell with the threat, the devs can police their own damn selves.

Flag Post

It’s about physically altering the link that was not intended for the Kong platform and then posting it out, knowing full well it wasn’t intended for that platform. That is what was against ToS, not about clicking a raid link that you didn’t know wasn’t for your own platform posted by somebody else.

We were able to track the originator of the link, and when confronted fully admitted to the actions. But what the player did was still a ban worthy offense, whether the player “came clean” or not.

It’s one thing to click on a raid link unknowingly that you, yourself, didn’t modify. That’s fine, accidents happen, but that isn’t what I was trying to convey that’s against ToS. It’s when a player directly modifies a link that clearly goes outside the parameters of their own platform (i.e.: a Facebook link is converted into a Kong link), then with that full knowledge, seeds it out to the public anyway.

Originally posted by Krrak:

…while it’s easy to track down who FIRST posted such a link and punish that kind of transgression should be enforced.

We did exactly just that, and that is the type of offender I am referring to.

Flag Post

this could have been avoided if you would have just sent out the links at the same time >.>

anyway i ask you very nicely. in fact i beg of you to please include an option that allows us players to turn off animations. (both here and in DotD) because i can barely hit a celebration enhancer because it is sooooooooo laggy. this might also help a bit in the WR for me too because i am getting server lag but i am also getting client side lag because oft he animation. i could probably dump faster if i didn’t have that stupid animation.

Flag Post

I get tons of leg from things like the Celebration Enchancer, probably the same amount as you given how much bandwidth my house uses buit you don’t see me complaining.

As for these shenanigans I will only say one thing: If the offender’s banned jsut leave it in that past once the raid is gone. If the security flaw’s fixed even better… so I don’t see why people are making such a big fuss and getting all anti=dev about it. These things happen.

Flag Post

@IANF1
They did not sent out the links at the same time to decrease lag which you are asking for. If you are around when the link was just posted(when the FB WR link got to Kong), the lag was so bad.

And yes, please include a button to turn off animation. It helps with people like me who still have an old pc.

Flag Post
Originally posted by rikikiangel:

And yes, please include a button to turn off animation. It helps with people like me who still have an old pc.

Hell, my comp isn’t too old (got it last year), and the animations lag me. Might be combined with inherent lag (especially given the circumstances surrounding this WR), but just a general good idea. I wonder how many times people have said this…

Flag Post

old Pc’s i’ve got 16gigs of ram and 6 cores running my computer. . it still lags me to hell. Get rid of animations or let me turn them off!

Flag Post

well, in the case of newer computers the lag doesnt have to do much with the cpu power.

you are just feeling the real lag that exists between you and the server.

what other people mean with lag is that for example the mouse button gets slower and the buttons dont get clickable even after the socket returned a result (indicator that the socket returned is that you can see the damage of the last hit but the buttons still are not clickable)

i am on a 1.3ghz dual core with a crappy gfx card, just to give you ppl an comparison what we mean with slow computers ;)

oh and multiple cores dont help. flash only uses one core. ram dont have effect here either.

Flag Post

For those complaining about the lag with the animations, you should read the official forums now and then …

http://www.legacyofathousandsuns.com/forum/showthread.php?7211-(Chrome)-Block-Animations-Tutorial

It says chrome, but has for Firefox also.

Flag Post

I just want to say that this nonsense made matters confusing enough for me that I never participated in the world raid. instructions were unclear/nonexistent/deeper in the forums than I was expecting. I missed out completely because of this. I am, perhaps, partly to blame, but I’m pissed about it nevertheless.

Flag Post

I’m using an eight year old computer with Radeon X300 (RV370) graphics while my laptop is getting fixed and I’ve got no lag on Celebration Enhancer or any animated raids.

Perhaps it’s not the animation? Maybe it’s having 15 tabs open to other pages along with 10 different programs running in the background on the system bar that is eating up resources?

Originally posted by IANF1:

anyway i ask you very nicely. in fact i beg of you to please include an option that allows us players to turn off animations. (both here and in DotD) because i can barely hit a celebration enhancer because it is sooooooooo laggy. this might also help a bit in the WR .

Originally posted by rikikiangel:

@IANF1

Originally posted by Egnar:

old Pc’s i’ve got 16gigs of ram and 6 cores running my computer. . it still lags me to hell. Get rid of animations or let me turn them off!

Flag Post

i only had 1 tab open. granted i have 3 computers plus a wii hooked up to my internet in my house (my mom’s my sisters laptop and my wii) but still the lag is really bad on celebration

Flag Post

@BTwelve
Not everyone’s pc has a graphic card… I’m using my internal 128MB.
and I don’t have a lot of tabs open. I only have my browser and just like 2-5 tabs open the most. I never run any other program when using my browser.
I use Opera.
It’s flash problem since I always lag with heavily animated flash games.

And it’s not the animation that is lagging, since the animation actually runs fine(I think). It’s when I move the mouse to highlight any buttons(it highlights slowly and un-highlight slowly) and clicking the button and popping up button that it is lagging. It’s not when the data transmit to the server that is lagging too.
The evidence is LoTS is slow loading the images at my pc here. So a lot of times for the WR or Celebrator I hit it without seeing the pic/animation and it runs faster when I click the button.

Granted, it’s not as bad that I have to wait a long time, but it’s not smooth and annoys me when button lags like that.