Reading tips....

19 posts

Flag Post

Hey…

I noticed a lot of players enjoy this game because of the storyline, and funny flavour texts on items.. I like to read fantasy/SF books, but most books just bore me out… So kinda asking here for tips on good/funny books to read..

After Lord of the Rings, my personal favorite fantasy book is : the lies of Locke Lamora, by Scott Lynch. The book of ender is my favorite SF..

What’s your favourite? Or don’t you guys read anymore?

RG

Flag Post

As far as fantasy goes its Steven Erikson’s “Malazan” Books. Absolutely incredible scope and chars. G.R.R. Martin comes in second.

Scifi I liked: Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan is a very interesting read.

Flag Post

+1000 to MeanGun on Erikson …
I’ve read the Esslemont novels too.
on SCi-Fi, Neal Asher is well worth a read – even if reading bores you, there is plenty of action, yet without losing the hi-tech angle …
Peter F Hamilton also does grand galactic civilisation opera with an interesting twist.
I did like Altered Carbon too.
Of course, William Gibson and Cory Docterow, Bruce Sterling, Charles Stross, Zelazny, Heinlein.
I’m reading Neal Stephenson at the moment; not his Sci-Fi, but Quicksilver, which stars Louis XIV, and Isaac Newton.

Flag Post

I like Brent Week’s Night Angel and Lightbringer series. :)

Flag Post

Try Neil Gaiman. American Gods or Good Omens

Flag Post

My personal 2 favourites of all time

The acts of Caine, my Matthew Stover (Great author, has quite an internet presence)

And Prince of nothing, by R Scott Bakker

Both very detailed books with heavy amount of thought put into them.

Flag Post
Originally posted by sdork:

My personal 2 favourites of all time

The acts of Caine, my Matthew Stover (Great author, has quite an internet presence)

And Prince of nothing, by R Scott Bakker

Both very detailed books with heavy amount of thought put into them.

Yeah, both on my list. So many books so little time…

@inannakeltoi I read the Esslemont books too (still have to read Orb, Scepter, Throne). They are not as good as Erikson’s but scratch that Malazan itch quite well.

Flag Post

Well someone mentioned zelazny…I kinda forgot to mention the books of Amber as an all time favourite :)

Most funny read ever in my (humble)0 was hitch-hiker’s guide to the galaxy, by douglas Adams…to bad they f-ed up trieing to make a movie out of it..( the answer is 42…btw..)

Really appreciating you posting good reads in here…my credit-card is working overtime…:P

RG

Flag Post

If you want to doze off early read:

Eragon….

So boring..

Flag Post

@Goonta – Eragon and the Inheritance Series are great books, idk how you could find them boring. I find them much more entertaining that LotR’s walking for 5 chapters before something mildly interesting happens.

But OT, you could try the Pendragon series. It’s an interesting series, can’t remember who wrote it atm though. It’s fairly long, more than 10 books i believe.

Flag Post

Eragon looks like its written by a fourteen year old kid…oh wait…

nvm…

Flag Post

I find the Incarnations of Immortality series to be interesting.

I don’t find the Inheritance cycle to be too bad, but it seemed rather cliche, and so many things were left unanswered.

Flag Post

one of my favourite series of all times (for a laugh), piers anthony’s Xanth series.
I especially enjoyed no.3, “Castle roogna”. they’re not sci-fi, but a great fantasy series.

Flag Post

For me, stuff by Brandon Sanderson, and Jim Butcher.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Rollmonkey:

Additionally, if you like Good Omens, try some of Terry Pratchett’s other work. It’s not SF, but it’s pretty amazing.

Flag Post
Originally posted by argnom:
Originally posted by Rollmonkey:

Additionally, if you like Good Omens, try some of Terry Pratchett’s other work. It’s not SF, but it’s pretty amazing.

Terry Pratchett is amazing, i remember the first book i ever read by him was “Only you can save mankind”, and it had me in fits of laughter.

Flag Post

I have good memories being enthralled by the deathgate novels…by Weis and Hickman

Pratchett didn’t work out for me…it’s like Mr Bean in fantasy world…funny, but it kinda spoils the magic…

Flag Post

Would definitely recommend David Weber’s Honor Harrington series

Flag Post

I’ll 2nd the Honor Harrington series, On Basilisk Station is a great book, so are the next -12? or so in the series. My favorites in the combination SciFi/Funny category include:

1.) Lois McMaster Bujold, the Miles Vorkosigan series. Terrifically entertaining & funny.
2.) Neal Stephenson’s ‘Snow Crash’. It’s like reading William Gibson, except frikkin’ hilarious.
3.) Niven/Pournelle, ‘The Mote In God’s Eye’. Possibly the best single work of SciFi I’ve ever read. Well, either this or ‘Dune’. Neither of which are particularly funny as much as Excellently written & hugely entertaining.