[Guide] Buying land

93 posts

Flag Post

After you’ve buyed a few lands you should have quickly noticed that the Price get’s higher each time you buy a land.
Of course, every player wants to get the best ratio of Income for their Gold. That’s why I’ve made a simple Table to help you with this.
You should try to buy in packs of 10. You’ll save lot’s of money.

You can Download it here as a XLS

Or access it here online.
(I’ll check the spreadsheet occasionally and revert it back to it’s original form if it was trolled)

I recommend the XLS-Version as it is much faster and useable for personal use.

Flag Post

I see what was done there.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Mapatti:

I see what was done there.

reverted to useable version.
Use the XLS if you’re tired of trolls

Flag Post

I think if you call it “Guide” you may add more than a simple calculation^^ You could explain a little bit of school mathematics and make one example where you show how much time is needed to get back the gold you spend for the land.
Apart from those little things: VERY NICE, sir.
Enlarge it, bring it to the DotD forum at 5th planet and request sticky there!
Keep up the good work.

Flag Post

I’m out of ideas what to say to this more then what has been said.
I haven’t thought about the effective Moneygain/hr yet, nor I intend to. Should be trivial to those who care about this enough to use this.

Flag Post

The Spreadsheet seems to be used frequently. Some Feedback would be nice!
Thanks

Flag Post

I’ve dowloaded the excel file, that’s pretty useful. The buttons don’t work on LibreOffice, but it’s not really important. I wished I had that when I begun :-).

Flag Post

If anyone still cares…

Current land cost is Current Cost = Base Cost * ( 1 + Number of that Land Owned / 10)
When you buy sets of a land (that is, 5 or 10 at a time) you play the current cost for all (5 or 10) of the lands.
When you buy land one-by-one, the cost goes up with each purchase.

To buy the first 10 Cornfields, base cost = 4000.
One-by-one, you pay: 4000 + 4400 + 4800 + 5200 + … = 14.5 * 4000 = 58,000 gold
Five-at-once, you pay: 4000 * 5 + 6000 * 5 = 50,000 gold, saving you 8,000 gold.
Ten-at-once, you pay: 4000 * 10 = 40,000 gold, saving you 18,000 gold.

Flag Post

or, buy it 1 by 1 when you get the money and you get more income.

Flag Post

Danielhead has a point. how many hours does it take to save up an initial 40,000 gold to buy the 10 farms? sure the price goes up by 400 (at least the first time) but unless you can make another 4000 gold within the next 4 hours, you might be better off buying one at a time.

Flag Post

This has been greatly useful for me Snowman, thanks for your work _

Flag Post

I guess we should factor in the fact that you must stash your money more often to save enough for buying by ten, this will have a cost too (alas not so small for me, I didn’t bother to level Ruth :/)

Flag Post

To give some closure to this, it’s NEVER more convenient to buy in sets of 10 or 5. Always buy one by one. This generates a higher input, and as the price raise is fixed (10% extra for each of that land owned), you can easily make the math with that simple formula to see that it’s more profitable to buy one by one, taking advantage of your income increase. Also, to “make the most of it” you should take into account when is more profitable to keep buying the same land, due to fast income increase, or when it’s better to buy the next type of land. For example, if you have 12 cornfields (1st land) then the price will be like 8800 for next one, giving you +100g/hr; while the next type costs 15000g for +300g/hr. In this case the earlier +100g/hr doesnt make up the +300g/hr not even close.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Eisvogel:

To give some closure to this, it’s NEVER more convenient to buy in sets of 10 or 5.

It should be noted that a pack-buy IS better if you already have the Gold to buy in Packs. If you didn’t visit your game because you were sleeping and now got enough to buy 9 Cornfields, then you wait for the gold to buy the 10th and buy them bundled.
Another factor why it may be better to buy in packs is that Land isn’t your only gold source! It’s WAY better to buy land in packs while in a World Raid because you get literally TONS of Gold at WRs. This means that you get more out of your land if you buy in packs while you’re under the Break-Even Time for single buys.

Flag Post

The XLS-Version is currently not available as my Webserver seems to be unresponsible. Please try it anyways and drop me a note when it’s accessible again.

Flag Post

@Snowman25

To clarify what Snowman25 just said, IT’S ALWAYS BETTER to buy lands in sets of course if you already have the money to buy the set. The analysis was given in the situation of getting the gold over time. If you already have it due sleeping or the other reasons Snowman25 explained, it’s of course and by all means more convenient to buy the lands in sets as it’s always cheaper in an “instant buy” basis.

Flag Post

[bump]

Flag Post

Good news! My Server is online again.
This means that the XLS-Version is available again!

Got an idea how to make it better?
Want to leave a feedback?
Don’t be shy!

Flag Post

Trolly again. someone thought they would be shwoopy-loopy.

Flag Post
Originally posted by mynameisgryphon:

Trolly again. someone thought they would be shwoopy-loopy.

Reverted

Flag Post
Originally posted by Eisvogel:

To give some closure to this, it’s NEVER more convenient to buy in sets of 10 or 5. Always buy one by one. This generates a higher input, and as the price raise is fixed (10% extra for each of that land owned), you can easily make the math with that simple formula to see that it’s more profitable to buy one by one, taking advantage of your income increase. Also, to “make the most of it” you should take into account when is more profitable to keep buying the same land, due to fast income increase, or when it’s better to buy the next type of land. For example, if you have 12 cornfields (1st land) then the price will be like 8800 for next one, giving you +100g/hr; while the next type costs 15000g for +300g/hr. In this case the earlier +100g/hr doesnt make up the +300g/hr not even close.

If you want to “take advantage of your income increase”, you just shouldn’t buy land at all. I like how you’re trying to compare the “profitablity” of buying land one by one vs. saving for a pack when it’s obvious that if you’re calculating that way, you’d never even be able to afford a single piece of land at all since the best return is 100 for 400 gold, that is 25%, and the cost only increases as you go up. The higher you go, the more disadvantageous it’d be to buy one by one as the return decreases rapidly. By the time you get to the 10th piece of farmland, you’d be at 2.5% return, and that’s better than the FIFTH piece of property, the pub.

Flag Post

u are missing the solid point of comparing different units packor XD, comparing plain gold against an income of gold per hour is…. well, i have no words for that. It’s plain math, the formula is easily deducted with series. As is one of the simplests ones, you can use Gauss to find it’s convergence value without any effort also. So you can quickly see it for yourself with that steps.

Flag Post

I’m not missing any points. You keep talking about a formula, yet you haven’t really given any concrete examples. You can keep talking about how you gain more cash by buying one by one as you earn the cash, but the fact is that that cash doesn’t cover for the extra cost you’re taking by buying this way. In fact, you probably didn’t even bother to really calculate it. It’s also very plain that the less income your investment returns, the more costly it is to do it this way.

Flag Post

Interesting how the online spreadsheet is regularly being messed with the last few hours. I wonder what other related event happened in the last few hours?

Flag Post
Originally posted by NormaTheNorman:

Interesting how the online spreadsheet is regularly being messed with the last few hours. I wonder what other related event happened in the last few hours?

Reverted it again.
I don’t think that RedSun is doing this. But if he does, then… that would be just sad.