How to abuse the Scout

42 posts

Flag Post

You should constantly be flying around the battlefield. Don’t stop anywhere. Don’t fly in a straight line. Circle around constantly.

You should by flying more often, faster, and more unpredictably than anything else on the battlefield. Basically swoop around even more than you think you should. Your goal is to view as much of the battlefield as possible, and stay OUT of any enemy player’s zone of view. Each enemy will see you for five seconds, then you go out of sight – too high, or around a corner, or skip quickly through a corridor – before they can think about locking on to you. Meanwhile, you know where each of the enemy players is.

Battles happen when slow players meet each other. Your job is to fly from battle to battle, making each duel into a 2v1. If you do this right, you will have all your players survive and the enemy team will be wiped out.

Armor-damage regenerates. Health-damage needs to be healed at either end of the battlefield. So that means you can stay alive for a very long time, because you can disengage from battles AND you can quickly fly to the healing points.

Small tap on the spacebar = leap. Perfect for quickly changing momentum and direction.

Never stay inside the control-point ship. Fly or leap through it every so often. If there’s a battle inside the ship, I like to come down through the roof.

You have the mobility and speed to disengage from any battle you want. Never fight to the death. Generally, when you have 70 Health left, it’s time to go heal.

When you are flying, there is very little that can hurt you except an enemy airborn scout.

When you’re flying and being shot at – full speed. When you’re NOT being shot at, don’t overestimate how much jetpack thrust you need from point to point. You have wings and you’re super light which means you can glide for quite a bit.

A few things are dangerous to you:

1. Melee with an enemy that’s fighting back – unless they are wounded or outnumbered, they will kill you. But, meleeing an enemy that’s facing away from you is an easy kill.

2. The tank’s shield – no point trying to fight if the tank is pointing its shield at you. Don’t engage the tank, wait for it to engage something else, and then come backstab it.

3. The tank’s hammer, gunner’s railgun, and tech’s suppressor beams- all of these can knock you off balance and make you a sitting duck. Don’t get caught by any of these, especially inside the ship.

You have two preferred methods of killing:

1. Fly above or behind a player, so they don’t see you, then swoop from behind for a melee kill.

2. Stay in the air and use your auto-aim gun to peck at enemies from a distance, especially wounded enemies or enemies in a battle.

Your job is NOT to hold or flip the control point. It’s to stay alive and assassinate as many players as you can, tipping the battle so that the slow players can defend the control ship.

The scout will often have the most kills and best KDR. For example I’ve had 15-5 and 22-3 on my last two games (3-4 player teams). However remember that your goal is to kill players SO THAT your team can defend the ship.

Flag Post

I’m interested to hear what you guys think is the most dangerous enemy of the Scout.

Gunner – I think Scout can kill it in any situation. You are moving too fast to snipe, and you can quickly close in and melee, OR fly above it back and forth and annoy it with the machine gun. Gunner is just way too weak.

Tank – you can’t fight the tank, but you can ignore it. Tank has 0% chance of killing you unless you come melee it. So you ignore it and kill all the other enemies, leaving it outnumbered. If the tank is in a battle you can swoop in for a sword kill.

Scout – Scout vs. Scout basically depends on who spots the other guy first. Aerial battles are fun.

Tech – probably the most dangerous? His healing is especially annoying since your damage is so low, and suppressor beams really lower your mobility.

Flag Post

If you were in a fight with a scout it kinda doesn’t matter what class you are. As long as you are good with the class you have then you could win the fight. You just have to make sure you move a lot during the fight, jump, run, whatever, just keep moving so t’s harder for the scout to hit you. Now yes, in a melee fight you might lose the fight given that the scout’s blade does high damage. However, if it does come to a melee fight what you should do is distants yourself from the scout to have the advantage. Also, in any fight, make sure you have the first shot on him. Meaning, shoot the other guy first. If you have the first couple shots out before he does you have an advantage then. Anyway, the most dangerous enemy for the scout is really all the class. You just have to know what to do.

Flag Post

If a scout and another guy are duking it out, and they both know what they’re doing, I find the scout wins. The gunner isn’t all that good, and I can almost always swoop in with the sword and hack them to death. In battles with a tank, that’s the worst possible thing you could do. Don’t melee attack them unless they’re occupied with something else. If they’re sitting anywhere other than the ship, you can circle them and fly over them, pestering them with the machine gun until they’re dead. Inside the ship is a bit more difficult, but still not that big of a challenge. Versus a tech, if they’re healing another guy, kill the tech. You don’t stand a chance against any enemy that’s got that tech support, but if you can take out the tech, you’ll usually still have enough shield/health to finish off the other guy. If it’s just you and a tech, you’ve got it made, as long as their suppressor isn’t around. If it is, I throw grenades until it’s destroyed, concentrating fire on it as well. Once that’s out of the way, I usually have to heal up, and then go back and take care of the tech. Against another scout is usually the hardest battle. They have the same mobility that you do, and good scouts know how to evade and get the hell out of there. If I’m tailed by another scout, I use my turbo-speed to get out of his range, heal up, and then turn around and kill him. I find this is what most other good scouts do as well. Don’t try to fight another scout if he got the first shot. You’ll almost always lose. In melee battles, usually the first hitter wins, so if you can get that in, go for the kill. Otherwise, escape.
I hope this response demonstrates my complete disagreement with Da_Asian1’s answer. Moving around in a fight with a scout will only prolong your death, because any good scout will just keep following you. If you manage to get him down to low health, he’ll get away, heal, and come back. It works every time.

Flag Post
Originally posted by vezwyx:

If a scout and another guy are duking it out, and they both know what they’re doing, I find the scout wins. The gunner isn’t all that good, and I can almost always swoop in with the sword and hack them to death. In battles with a tank, that’s the worst possible thing you could do. Don’t melee attack them unless they’re occupied with something else. If they’re sitting anywhere other than the ship, you can circle them and fly over them, pestering them with the machine gun until they’re dead. Inside the ship is a bit more difficult, but still not that big of a challenge. Versus a tech, if they’re healing another guy, kill the tech. You don’t stand a chance against any enemy that’s got that tech support, but if you can take out the tech, you’ll usually still have enough shield/health to finish off the other guy. If it’s just you and a tech, you’ve got it made, as long as their suppressor isn’t around. If it is, I throw grenades until it’s destroyed, concentrating fire on it as well. Once that’s out of the way, I usually have to heal up, and then go back and take care of the tech. Against another scout is usually the hardest battle. They have the same mobility that you do, and good scouts know how to evade and get the hell out of there. If I’m tailed by another scout, I use my turbo-speed to get out of his range, heal up, and then turn around and kill him. I find this is what most other good scouts do as well. Don’t try to fight another scout if he got the first shot. You’ll almost always lose. In melee battles, usually the first hitter wins, so if you can get that in, go for the kill. Otherwise, escape.
I hope this response demonstrates my complete disagreement with Da_Asian1’s answer. Moving around in a fight with a scout will only prolong your death, because any good scout will just keep following you. If you manage to get him down to low health, he’ll get away, heal, and come back. It works every time.

that sounds nice… but there are some flaws in your strategy:
1. Capturing: Not a scout´s job? Ok, and what do you do if you all are scouts? Won´t work well, right? I was in a game against a team of scouts… and they had good kill/death ratios… but we won. You need to capture to win. Kills give you nothing.
2. Healing: You need a tech for that… or the healing spot. Problem: it can be picked up by someone else. In addition, the enemies could be there as well… and that is the scouts big weakness: If you have to go somewhere… you get predictable. Good for your enemies.

Flag Post

If you are on a team of all scouts you need to convince everyone except the best scout to switch to other classes. If that’s you, switch. Of course a team of all scouts is going to lose.

I have seen gunners camp the healpoint trying to snipe scouts when they come in. It doesn’t really work, I can fly in from any angle, and by the time they spot me and zoom in the scope, I’m already sitting on the platform whacking them with the sword.

The only really life-endangering thing you can do as a scout is pick a fight with someone who knows where you are. Because they will throw grenades down in front of you, melee you, shield you if they’re tank, etc.

Flag Post

Yeah tech is the most dangerous. with a supressor III he can kill Scouts without too much trouble.

Flag Post

In a large game you can just have a gunner snipe the suppressor. I think it takes two, maybe three shots, and you can get them off quite easily before someone realises where you are shooting from. In small games, yes, a Suppressor III is hard to deal with as a scout, although if your long-distance shooting is good you could possibly get it from a distance. The problem comes when the Tank on the CP sees you.

Flag Post

It’s not terribly hard to take out a scout as a gunner if you see it coming. You just have to switch to the machine gun and make sure you Q. Grenades can make the difference on either side. If caught at a disadvantage, it’s hard, but possible, for a gunner to run away.

Flag Post

If you join a fight with surpressor IIIs guarding the ship, your team failed. Destroy those surpressors when they are I. Ignore surpressors outside of the healing and cap places. The most important place is the cap point.

Flag Post

I love this conversation

Flag Post

Pilchard123 A snipe CAN’T destroy a Supressor III if It’s WELL positioned. I know where to put supressor III and it Can’t be destroyed by snipers. If scouts shoot it from distance techs can Simply heal it, from distance your shoots aren’t 100% accurate. Easy as that! I’ve killed many and many scouts and tanks and people using this strategy!

Flag Post

love to see that players are really ‘getting’ the different class strengths and weaknesses. we designed the scout to be the best ‘flanker’ just like the OP describes. when played well, he is really hard to get a bead on, and should always seem to be coming at you from the side, behind, or above. we’ve got a long way to go with balance, polish, and technical bugs…but its really encouraging to see players figuring this stuff out. keep the questions, theorycrafting, and debates coming, you are being heard!

Flag Post

I just love scout. With good landed greneade scout can kill anyone except tank almost instantly. I do this like that

1.Encounter enemy/enemies.
2.Pick weakest target.
3.Harras him with gun for a moment while getting in close range.
4.When im above his head i use greneade then fast swith to sword and finish if guy try to fly swith to gun.
5.If have low health pressing q then e and run instantly if not trying to kill another target etc.

Basically only problem is a skilled tank or 2 or more ppl with tech who constantly heal the members.

Flag Post

As i usually play scout i cant STAND techs… by the time i kill their suppressor 3 all they have to do is auto target and get 2 shots off and im dead. its really hard to kill a tech with S3 in the ship.

Flag Post

hehe, i know a good combo that will pretty much kill a scout easily if 1 tries to make a 2v1 against me or is just dumb to attack me. 1 hit and u’ll be lucky to survive ;)

Flag Post

I played against Pilchard, he’s a pretty good Gunner and was able to take me down a few times.

Also as people become more skilled at Tech, I’m starting to get an appreciation for how much an enemy Tech can wreck your day.

“hehe, i know a good combo that will pretty much kill a scout easily if 1 tries to make a 2v1 against me or is just dumb to attack me. 1 hit and u’ll be lucky to survive ;)”

ORLY?

Flag Post

Thanks! I remember that game, though I can’t remember what class you were. You didn’t play so bad yourself.

As for the positioning of Suppressors, yeah they can be put in places where it’s hard to snipe them, but people (me included) tend to put them right in the centre of the ship, where you just have to get along that line and whale on it. When they’re on the walls and ceiling, then it’s pretty hard to deal with if it’s above Lv1 and there are people near it.

Flag Post

A good gunner can probably kill a scout fairly easily IF HE SEES YOU

If he gets “lucky” and hits you with a sniper shot, then your basically dead since it does a ton of dmg, you will obviously lose in a gun fight since his machine gun is better than yours and can use his special ability.If you try and chop him with your sabre, all he needs to do is fly backwards and up and maybe sideways (or simply drop down), forcing a gun fight which he can win. And if you are trying to escape, he can try to snipe you, especially if he knows you are going to regenerate health. Also, be careful when leaving your base since a lot of gunners like waiting for people to leave and then shooting them. If he hits you once when flying, i think you fall down, if he hits you again, your dead.

Your best chance of killing him is to sneak up on him and chop him a couple times, that way you can win a gun fight with him. Also, you better hope he dosent have a techy guarding him cause if he does, there is basically no way you can kill him by yourself

Flag Post

Yes the Scout is awesome … if there’s a sniper … or another scout that needs to be taken care of. The scout’s the best option … for me i like to run around the whole map … the healing port their base our base everywhere to get constant view and knowledge of my enemies … Techs are retarded I hate them unless they are my allies … However, gunners with precision and a good aim can shoot u down even in mid-air … once u’re flying down … they shoot u again u’re dead … i use gunners often too i know about it.Tanks are stupid (no offence) … 2 scouts can finish it off with the sword or even with the gun … unless they are fighting in the ship …

Flag Post

I’ve played agains some of the users who posted here I think you all remember me. A well positioned supressor III is more deadly than anithing else. you just need to be skilled enough to dodge and heal while the supressor shoots, And if a scout try to melee it simply shoot him and he will be dead =D

Flag Post
Originally posted by Kagri:

Yes the Scout is awesome … if there’s a sniper … or another scout that needs to be taken care of. The scout’s the best option … for me i like to run around the whole map … the healing port their base our base everywhere to get constant view and knowledge of my enemies … Techs are retarded I hate them unless they are my allies … However, gunners with precision and a good aim can shoot u down even in mid-air … once u’re flying down … they shoot u again u’re dead … i use gunners often too i know about it.Tanks are stupid (no offence) … 2 scouts can finish it off with the sword or even with the gun … unless they are fighting in the ship

And the ship is not important… sure.

Flag Post

Tech – The best place for the Sup is along the rim of the hole in the roof. Pretty much impossible to melee, and to shoot at it you have to stand underneath where you can easily be sniped from either end of the map. Very hard to take out this kind of Sup as a Scout. Sup 3 = game over.

Gunner – IF the Gunner hits me with his first Snipe, it’s generally the armor loss + daze + fall if flying that makes me dead meat. If he misses, the smoke trail immediately lets me know I need to kick my flying into high gear. Miss the first time and you don’t get a chance to shoot me again.

Melee with Scout – the smartest thing that a class can do when I come to Melee them is to fly straight up and shoot down at me. Because of this, I have started trying to melee only players that I suspect are out of jetpack fuel.

Flag Post

im gonna try tech. ive played it one time, but at the time i did i was unaware that you could UPGRADE the sup to S3.

Flag Post

just went 23-3 with a tech in a 3v1. they tried scout, tank, gunner and tech and i killed them all with S3. the 3 times i died where once to the gunner and twice to the tank.