Free Range Development Philosophy (locked)

64 posts

Flag Post

Free Range Development Philosophy

Like our name, Free Range Games, we are developing FreeFall Tournament out in the open. We have a track record of listening to player input. Come visit us in the FreeFall Tournament forums, chat with the players, and find out for yourself. Of course, you are always welcome to say hi and talk to us directly. You can also play our game for free and discover the nuances that gamers really appreciate.

Design Principles for FreeFall Tournament

Just as Free Range Games has a philosophy for making games, we also have principles to guide the design of FreeFall Tournament. A few of these are:

- Fun is more important than realism
- Piloting futuristic battle suits should make the player feel super-human
- Each class should have combat advantages and disadvantages, but not be a hard counter to another class
- Every map should have features to showcase advantages of each class
- One-Shotting should be very rare in normal 1v1 confrontation
- Players with good tactical awareness should have opportunities to contribute to their team without requiring lightning reflexes
- Conflicts should generally be won by the team that brings more troops to bear at the locus of contention. However, very skilled/lucky/tactical players should also have opportunities for ‘heroic actions’ that turn the tide
- Players level up mainly through teamwork, not individual performance

Hopefully these help you understand some of the choices we make. Feel free leave your comments and questions below.

Flag Post

Is there a forum on your website? Or are you just talking about this one? If it is another forum can we have a link pls :D.
Aha! So you do allow one shotting (no matter how rare), makes me feel a lot safer now about the RG hitting up to 300 though I’m still not a fan of it.

Flag Post

This forum.

One-shotting should be very rare. You should feel lucky that you did it. If you feel skilled enough to do it again and again, then something is wrong.

Flag Post
Originally posted by freerangegames:

This forum.

One-shotting should be very rare. You should feel lucky that you did it. If you feel skilled enough to do it again and again, then something is wrong.

Its not me one shotting (though I have two shotted a tank before), its me getting one shotted which happens every now and then…. and the scouts DS, have you seen my vid on it?

Flag Post

Yes, but from your video the problem you were trying to point out wasn’t clear. Please switch this discussion to Suggestions or Bugs thread as the case may be.

Flag Post
We have a track record of listening to player input.

i believe that.

- Fun is more important than realism

shows.

- Piloting futuristic battle suits should make the player feel super-human

it actually does. i complain about balance a lot, but how all four of the classes feel kinda OP in their own way is quite remarkable.

- Every map should have features to showcase advantages of each class

that’s why all three maps have something of a cozy room in the middle with several entrances, and open space with several platforms around it.

- One-Shotting should be very rare in normal 1v1 confrontation

never seen that aside from the old saber glitch which felt that way.

- Players with good tactical awareness should have opportunities to contribute to their team without requiring lightning reflexes
- Conflicts should generally be won by the team that brings more troops to bear at the locus of contention. However, very skilled/lucky/tactical players should also have opportunities for ‘heroic actions’ that turn the tide
- Players level up mainly through teamwork, not individual performance

so desgined as a co-op real time tactics game rather than an fps? anyway, CP maps definitely bring that, but the new map doesn’t feel like that yet.

Flag Post

This forum.

the only way i see somebody getting 1 shotted is a tank, with mega damage, and heavy shotgun vs scout and it lands a crit at like >5m.

it COULD happen with a gunner that gets mega damage, and somehow headshots a person from across the map, with a crit while using Q-tility… but i don’t see any class getting 1 shotted besides scout.

Flag Post

hmm, with a 100% damage bonus critical headshot, a Gunner should be dead in one shot, and a Scout even without headshot.

Flag Post
Originally posted by OmegaDoom:

hmm, with a 100% damage bonus critical headshot, a Gunner should be dead in one shot, and a Scout even without headshot.

don’t forget about tech.

Flag Post

I’ve one shotted heaps of people with mega damage, the best one was a cross map snipe when I was mid air and therefore not Q’d.

Flag Post

Mega damage is supposed to be powerful. Is it too much? Please switch this discussion to Update thread.

Flag Post

Mega damage is supposed to be powerful. Is it too much? Please switch this discussion to Update thread.

So we can’t talk about it on this thread now? D:

So…. about that apple…..

Flag Post

I gotta be honest, this game (so far) is very impressive. Some elements need to be rebalanced, but that’s the point of open beta testing. Keep up the good work.

Flag Post

Free Range Development Philosophy

Conflicts should generally be won by the team that brings more troops to bear at the locus of contention. However, very skilled/lucky/tactical players should also have opportunities for ‘heroic actions’ that turn the tide

Hopefully these help you understand some of the choices we make. Feel free leave your comments and questions below.

Are you going to focus this game mostly on teamwork or mostly on individual skill and glory? As of now, the focus and fun (for me at least) is fighting people of similar-or-better skill one-on-one. There’s also vanity in grinding for xp to get a shiny rank. Captain velociraptorr has a much better ring to it than lieutenant velociraptorr, for instance.

Killing a higher-ranked player in a duel is rewarding and brings a sense of accomplishment. Working together as a team to do the same thing is not nearly as rewarding (I get zero reward for helping bring down an enemy champion) and doesn’t feel as if the game is made for it. I have some suggestions in that regard, but I’m not sure if the you even want to take the game in that direction.

Flag Post

You bring up a different issue. While we believe players leveling up through teamwork is how XP should be awarded and our maps have team based gameplay modes, that’s not to say that we will never have a map for duels or duel mode game play. It’s just not our priority right now.

Flag Post

You bring up a different issue.

Sorry, what I originally meant to post was “Conflicts should generally be won by the team that brings more troops to bear at the locus of contention. However, very skilled/lucky/tactical players should also have opportunities for ‘heroic actions’ that turn the tide”. Edited my original post.

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

To the point of “Piloting futuristic battle suits should make the player feel super-human”

This is real present day tech. Auto-aim is our future.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/01/17000-linux-powered-rifle-brings-auto-aim-to-the-real-world/

Flag Post

Removed.