December 1, 2012 Update Build Notes page 3 (locked)

70 posts

Flag Post

Well I for one love the assassin. The ambush daggers are amazing and the needlers are always good to get a kill or two even if you sacrifice yourself.

 
Flag Post

This game has lost it’s flow, unfortunately. Long, scout vs. scout or tank vs. tank battles exist no more. It’s just a few shots, then slice, then dead. Or, for tank, they die way too quickly because of their lack of shield combined with the new classes.

Positives of update:
-Tank shield, which was extremely annoying, is gone.
-Blaster is fun as hell to play with (micro munitions is super powerful and amazing, and the rocket launcher is so damn addictive)
-Stunning weapons no longer exist
-Grapchics of the special effects (fire and poison and confusion) are absolutely stunning! On an iMac anyways.
-Free rotation if classes is fair
-Did i miss something? Oh yeah….SHOTGUN IS NOW IN HELL. THANK YOU

Negatives:
-Blazer is retardedly OP. The heat ray is a flamethrower railgun, which is very easy to aim.
-Blazer flames cause so much lag
-Valtech bombs…I miss those. New bombs are interesting, and fit the classes better, but valtech was awesome for…well, everything.
-Tank shield makes tanks big useless idiots raging around lol. I mean, scouts shouldn’t be able to kill tanks easily, yet with the circum turbo technique and slice finish, theyvant do crap
-The new massive HP numbers…Eh, seems a bit strange but just takes getting used to I guess
-sound effects are strange. The saber doesn’t produce that satisfying sound when you behead another scout that you valiantly bought for the past 10 seconds.

Overall, I love the new classes, but liked the old system with the sound effects, low HP numbers, all valtech, and long battles. The long battles just don’t exist anymore because everything does so much damage. Took a solid 30 seconds to kill a tank that was derping around waiting for the MD after they use their shield, about 10-120 seconds to kill a scout depending on if they are mobile or if they remain relatively stationary. Techs died regardless of anything, except gex, and gunners. I had JUST found an absolutely beautiful way to kill snipers. Might as well tell you guys since it’s messed up.

Full auto on their heads (double damage). After about 1.25 seconds, throw a bombwhile contunuing full auto. Slice their ass once they are done spazzing out from the bomb.
This NEVER failed, even multiple times against pros, like robpro

So yeah, that’s my take on the update. But who cares, as long as people enjoy it, it’s good.

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by solokillz:

Well I for one love the assassin. The ambush daggers are amazing and the needlers are always good to get a kill or two even if you sacrifice yourself.

but why should you use scout with less dmg and less speed,his stealth isnt really much of use for offense when he is so weak in health that random bullet will kill him
sure it isnt bad sometimes for defense to confuse opponent but thats rare,assassin needs buff

 
Flag Post

hey, guys, thanks for all the feedback! lemme address some of the new design features and balancing concerns.

some notes regarding damage-over-time debuffs: the duration of these debuffs scales down with your Defense stat, so for instance Tanks and Blasters will suffer less than smaller battlesuits from debuffs. though its not mentioned in the descriptions yet, the Tech’s Repair Beam will strip a stack of burn debuff per tick from all targets healed by the beam, including the Tech himself. likewise, the Shocker’s Lightning Gun strips one stack per tick of the Assissin’s Nanite Toxins from any friendly targets it hits, including the Shocker himself. the plan is to make in-game Health PowerUps also cleanse all debuffs, so that if you manage to get to the health, and your enemy is not still on your tail, you should be home free. that feature is not yet in game, but should be in the next one or two patches. all this said, the debuffs may still need some tuning in terms of damage or duration. the ultimate test of whether our current damage-over-time abilities need adjustment would be if the Assassin or Blazer are found to be unbalanced when compared to the Scout and Gunner respectively.

seems like we have an even split of folks thinking the Assassin is too weak versus too strong. the Assassin is definitely a somewhat more ‘difficult’ class to play successfully, and the reward for mastering his stealth ambushing, poison stacking/catalyzing is that he is VERY powerful in 1v1 situations when played well. in general, this is by design, so he can ‘assassinate’ enemies when things go well for him, but is something of a glass cannon when caught flat-footed. though, as i’m sure you’ve noticed, this means he is a trickier class to balance, so thank you for your patience while we figure out all the right numbers for him to feel ‘deadly’ but not be ‘out of control.’

with the Blazer, his Flamethrower has been tuned rather strong to make it worth using at closer range, rather than just using Heat Ray all the time. seems like maybe both of these weapons are tuned a bit strong and may need a slight nerf? his flamethrower is meant to cast fear in the hearts of nearby enemies, so we wouldn’t want it to be too weak either. overall he is meant to be comparible to the Gunner, in the sense that both are Striker Chassis (Medium Weight Offensive) battlesuits, though the Blazer is meant to be strong in close and mid range, while the Gunner is meant to excel at mid and high range. Both should be tougher than the Light Chassis suits, but less durable than the Heavy Chassis suits. Striker Chassis battlesuits should be able to dole out the highest consistent damge per second however, as they rely on being more deadly than Lights and Heavies since they are also less mobile than Lights and less durable than Heavies. if you feel that the Blazer is currently out of balance with these design ideas, please let me know and we will see what we can do to bring him in line with the Gunner.

regarding the Shocker, some of his perceived weakness at this point is learning curve in figuring out how to play him effectively (and learning curve of teammates knowing how to play WITH a Shocker effectively). that said, his Aegis Device will have a significant boost (+50%) to its force field size in the next patch, as it is meant to signify a place where teammates are meant to gather and mutually support and defend one another. it cannot serve that role when a couple volleys of Micro Munitions or Rail Gun shots can strip its shield. i may also increase the Lightning Gun’s force field recharging effect on the Aegis, but i will wait to see how the larger shield plays first. it is worth mentioning that the Shocker’s E power (Innervate) fully heals the force fields of all nearby friendlies, including Aegis Devices, so if timed well this can be used very effectively to prevent the force field from being completely stripped. To make Innervate and the Tech’s Nano Surge easier to use in chaotic fire fights, i’m going to DOUBLE their effective radius from 10 meters to 20 meters in the next patch. given the speed at which characters move in this game, 10 meters is just a bit too small a radius for a friendly AoE.

as for previously available weapons that are not currently available in game, such as the Sonic Disruptor, Hail Raiser and Auto-Shotgun: these will be standard weapons for some of the new classes to be released in future patches. we found that many of our weapons were very hard to balance when they were mix and match, but are easy to balance when classes have a single set of weapons that can be balanced with specific stats and other abilities in mind. for instance, the next Utility battle suit will have two offensive weapons (including the Sonic Disruptor), but a short cooldown melee ranged heal on E. that suit, and the Shocker, are akin to some of the old ‘combat medic’ Tech players from before. essentially, by breaking our various styles of gameplay into distinct classes, we make the game easier to balance as well as easier to play (tactics-wise), since when you see an enemy or teammate that is a certain class, you now pretty much know what to expect from them.

and for those who are angry that we are charging for classes (or angry that we charge anything at all), please keep in mind that online games like this cost money to develop, host, and support. we are receptive to feedback about pricing, but cries of ‘why isn’t it 100% free!?’ are not that useful, since the game sadly cannot exist if it is 100% free.

anyhow, thanks for all the great feedback thus far, guys. we hope to get a patch out by tomorrow to address some of the more extreme crashing issues and a few of the balancing concerns mentioned above. happy hunting, and i’ll see you in game!

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by itsinthegame:
Originally posted by aa33a:

Originally posted by aa33a:
blazer’s flamethrower’s range ridiculous! please AT LEAST half it.

The range is fine, its the dmg thats the problem.

sorry i might have meant its other weapon, it can shoot across the entire dock map with perfect targeting and mega damage and burn.

yeah that weapon is crazy they should cut its range by 3 times at least but then it would be no different then flamethrower they need to change the way weapon works so it isnt as game breaking as it is now

It can’t shoot across the entire dock map, it can’t even shoot from 1 base to the other.

 
Flag Post

2 issues with the aegis shield:
1) It goes through walls. IDK if it was intentional or not, but you can kill an aegis shield by attacking it from underneath the platform it’s on (that’s how I usually do it because there’s no one defending it from underneath).
2) Having the health bar way up above the force field is really difficult. I can’t watch the bar and recharge it at the same time. This makes strategically using my e ability almost impossible. It should probably be moved to right above the aegis shield generator.

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by speakofsilence:

2 issues with the aegis shield:
1) It goes through walls. IDK if it was intentional or not, but you can kill an aegis shield by attacking it from underneath the platform it’s on (that’s how I usually do it because there’s no one defending it from underneath).
2) Having the health bar way up above the force field is really difficult. I can’t watch the bar and recharge it at the same time. This makes strategically using my e ability almost impossible. It should probably be moved to right above the aegis shield generator.

1.) I already inquired about the aegis and it is supposed to be like that (I felt it shouldn’t be), but we’ll see how it plays out as shocker gets more use.
2.) Good point

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by cloakerx:
Originally posted by itsinthegame:
Originally posted by aa33a:

Originally posted by aa33a:
blazer’s flamethrower’s range ridiculous! please AT LEAST half it.

The range is fine, its the dmg thats the problem.

sorry i might have meant its other weapon, it can shoot across the entire dock map with perfect targeting and mega damage and burn.

yeah that weapon is crazy they should cut its range by 3 times at least but then it would be no different then flamethrower they need to change the way weapon works so it isnt as game breaking as it is now

It can’t shoot across the entire dock map, it can’t even shoot from 1 base to the other.

he meant other weapon not the flamethrower you know the one that causes jealousy even amongs gunners not to mention it burns you

 
Flag Post

Yes, the heat ray…

That weapon is so op its not even funny… (well is sometimes it is ;P)

What i would recommend is to take the burn down a lot and maybe even have no burn. Take the damage down a little or even make the beam a little smaller and have a scope on it like the rail gun (if it does not already (have not tried it before) so that would help)

Yes i just put a bracket inside a bracket.

Sincerely, monthygreg

 
Flag Post

We rebalance classes with every update. We will patch very soon (but not today).

 
Flag Post

I confirm that the blazer is overpowered at this point in time, especially the heat ray- it needs a range and/or damage nerf. The predator vision (spectral optics) is really really useful, and I wish I could buy it for other classes. I don’t get how to use its q-tility though…

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by velociraptorr:

I confirm that the blazer is overpowered at this point in time, especially the heat ray- it needs a range and/or damage nerf. The predator vision (spectral optics) is really really useful, and I wish I could buy it for other classes. I don’t get how to use its q-tility though…

the Blazer’s Spectral Optics ability (~predator vision) will be even more useful in the next patch. it will not only let you target cloaked assassins and see through walls, but it will also allow the Blazer to target through the Scout’s Haze Bomb. his Radiate power on Q is a 30% attack speed buff for him and nearby friends. just pop it when you want to do lots of damage in a short time and/or when you are near a bunch of teammates.

 
Flag Post

I don’t really think that any of the classes/weapons/skills are really OP. I mean seriously, most of the time i see someone complain about it in game (though i havn’t played much since the update) it seems like they are calling a lot of higher up ranks/pros OP with classes. I mean seriously, don’t blame a class or weapon because someone is good with it. Heat ray, for example, isn’t really so much OP. People complain about range: It does NOT reach the whole map. It doesn’t even reach base to base on shuttle bay. Also, flamethrower is already a low-range weapon, so heat ray is fine with it’s range. Also, move more. once you’re out of lock on range, move away because for most people it will be harder to hit you (though me and some others can still follow you with it). And, it’s supposed ot be the same type/chassis (scout and assassin, tank and blaster, tech and shocker, blazer and gunner) as gunner, so it has a mid-long range weapon, like the sniper. As far as dmg and burn goes, it’s not really that bad. You have to move, you can’t just run in a straight line or you will die fast.
Also, I thought the predator vision could already see through haze bomb?

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by cloakerx:

I don’t really think that any of the classes/weapons/skills are really OP. I mean seriously, most of the time i see someone complain about it in game (though i havn’t played much since the update) it seems like they are calling a lot of higher up ranks/pros OP with classes. I mean seriously, don’t blame a class or weapon because someone is good with it. Heat ray, for example, isn’t really so much OP. People complain about range: It does NOT reach the whole map. It doesn’t even reach base to base on shuttle bay. Also, flamethrower is already a low-range weapon, so heat ray is fine with it’s range. Also, move more. once you’re out of lock on range, move away because for most people it will be harder to hit you (though me and some others can still follow you with it). And, it’s supposed ot be the same type/chassis (scout and assassin, tank and blaster, tech and shocker, blazer and gunner) as gunner, so it has a mid-long range weapon, like the sniper. As far as dmg and burn goes, it’s not really that bad. You have to move, you can’t just run in a straight line or you will die fast.
Also, I thought the predator vision could already see through haze bomb?

Right now you can see through it but you still can’t target. And the heat ray doesn’t damage through smoke (a bug I think).

 
Flag Post

the AR on the gunner seems like it had a MAJOR buff. i get 2 bursted on light chassis 3 bursted on striker chassis and 4 bursted on heavy chassis CONSISTENTLY… maybe it’s the shatterbomb that needs to be reworked, but i don’t remember being hit by those when i get completely mauled before i can react!

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by M_Sixteen:

the AR on the gunner seems like it had a MAJOR buff. i get 2 bursted on light chassis 3 bursted on striker chassis and 4 bursted on heavy chassis CONSISTENTLY… maybe it’s the shatterbomb that needs to be reworked, but i don’t remember being hit by those when i get completely mauled before i can react!

True, all of a sudden AR is killing me out of nowhere.

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by cloakerx:
Originally posted by M_Sixteen:

the AR on the gunner seems like it had a MAJOR buff. i get 2 bursted on light chassis 3 bursted on striker chassis and 4 bursted on heavy chassis CONSISTENTLY… maybe it’s the shatterbomb that needs to be reworked, but i don’t remember being hit by those when i get completely mauled before i can react!

True, all of a sudden AR is killing me out of nowhere.

M_16 and cloakerx are OP!

 
Flag Post

It’s probably the shatterbomb that makes the difference. It’s still pretty strong, even though it does the least damage (other than panic and haze bombs) because it’s so much easier to hit with and because of the armor debuff. There are critical hits to be considered, so especially a crouching gunner will be getting some lucky crit streaks that ruin people. That is the main part of the gunner’s prowess; he and the blazer have a higher base crit rate than other classes.

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by tunachar:
Originally posted by cloakerx:
Originally posted by M_Sixteen:

the AR on the gunner seems like it had a MAJOR buff. i get 2 bursted on light chassis 3 bursted on striker chassis and 4 bursted on heavy chassis CONSISTENTLY… maybe it’s the shatterbomb that needs to be reworked, but i don’t remember being hit by those when i get completely mauled before i can react!

True, all of a sudden AR is killing me out of nowhere.

M_16 and cloakerx are OP!

Why thank you kind sir.

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by dodar:
Originally posted by velociraptorr:

I confirm that the blazer is overpowered at this point in time, especially the heat ray- it needs a range and/or damage nerf. The predator vision (spectral optics) is really really useful, and I wish I could buy it for other classes. I don’t get how to use its q-tility though…

the Blazer’s Spectral Optics ability (~predator vision) will be even more useful in the next patch. it will not only let you target cloaked assassins and see through walls, but it will also allow the Blazer to target through the Scout’s Haze Bomb. his Radiate power on Q is a 30% attack speed buff for him and nearby friends. just pop it when you want to do lots of damage in a short time and/or when you are near a bunch of teammates.

I hope you guys don’t seriously intend to do this, because blazers already kill scouts extremely easily. If you still make the predator vision negate smoke, then please please compensate with a serious damage nerf/shorter duration/longer cooldown/whatever.

OR – this would probably be difficult to implement- have 2 modes of spectral optics with different cooldowns-one for seeing through walls, and another (with shorter duration, range and/or longer cooldown) for seeing through smoke and mirrors.