What is ping

7 posts

Flag Post

Now, this is a serious question. This is the the only game I see ping, and I believe that it effects the lag amount. Which one is better? Low ping or high ping? Is 240 ping good? What effects will ping have, how much ping is ideal? Please don’t Lol and give me a serious answer.

Flag Post

Have you ever seen a movie where a ship or plane used radar? Or do you know how bats use echolocation? They shoot out a noise (a “ping”) and see how long it takes to get back to test how far away something is. Your computer does the same thing. It sends out information and waits to get it back. You shoot someone, your computer tells the server, the server sends a message back telling you the player’s dead.

ALL internet multiplayer games use ping. The larger your ping, the longer it takes you to sent the information back and forth and the slower it takes. 100 ping means it takes 100 milliseconds (I think) to send information to the server and back. 500 ping means 500 milliseconds. The longer it takes the more your computer is behind everyone else, so the more you lag.

Flag Post

240 ping is not good for a shooter. You would hope to be < 100 ms ping for good performance.

Flag Post

That explains a lot….I usually am at 150 ping. Stupid wi fi.
And yeah, OP, all multiplayer games have ping.

Just remember this: The higher it is, the worse it is.
And I believe FRG recommended using chrome and and Ethernet cable for optimum performance…? Something along those lines.

And believe me, high ling can do some VERY weird stuff, including being killed or injured by dead bodies if people you killed, of a dead body spazzing out in the air for a few seconds after death. That sort of stuff.

Flag Post

Using Chrome has more to do with compatibility with Unity than with ping. Definitely WiFi can cause your ping to increase even if you have full bars. Try an Ethernet cable, you’ll like it.

Flag Post

Thanks for the advice FRG! Just one question, can the Ethernet cable be used in conjunction with Wi fi, or must wi fi be disabled in order to use Ethernet?

Flag Post

It depends on your computer. It is best to disable WiFi, so that you know it is off.