Campaigns & Proftability

22 posts

Flag Post

Hi all, Starting a new topic about Campaigns and their possible profitability – that people can actually see and decide whether it’s worth or not to them to buy a campaign. I’ll start with 2 that I have already purchased, will add more later. Pls experienced people contribute. (I intend this topic to be more informative than a discussion forum what is worth or not.. .. thx for understanding)
Thanks & Greetings K.

The Hammer of Snor:
10 missions; max. possible IMP gain 60k (6k per win on 1st try, if you win on 2nd 3rd time your IMP gain is lower).

Ikhve’s Ax:
10 missions; max. possible IMP gain 60k (6k per win on 1st try, if you win on 2nd 3rd time your IMP gain is lower).

Flag Post

Haste Potion:
10 missions; max. possible IMP gain 50k (5k per win on 1st try)
EDIT: On the second run, each win on the 1st try is awarded with 6k instead of 5

Flag Post

The Staff of Distortion:
10 missions, max. possible IMP gain 50k (5k per win on 1st try, if you win on 2nd 3rd time your IMP gain is lower).
However I play mountain mostly and not having super cards and I had quite some problems. Only 4 matches I won @ 1st try.

Flag Post

Protector of Laar I:
20K upfront cost, 5 battles for the sequence

Perfect win rewards you 3K (x5) = 15K
10K bonus for completing all 5 battles

Net gain: 5K.

Some of these battles look tough so you’ll want to have 3 good decks prepared before making the plunge.

Flag Post

I hate this mechanic you get less, if you dont win the first time. This pushes the player to wait with the campaigns until he has an overpowered deck for that campaign. I like to play different, unconventional decks and I dont like that I’m punished for it… It wouldn’t be a problem if you could replay the campaigns as many times you want though. But now it doesn’t worth using fun decks…

Flag Post

Protector of Laar IV:
40K upfront cost, 10 battles for the sequence

Perfect win rewards you 3K (x10) = 30K
1 loss then win gives you 2K
Losing 2 or more then win gives you 1K

End of sequence bonus: 20K

Net gain (best case): 10K

I’m stuck on the second battle right now, two cards have the “back off” ability so I have to make some decks better suited to beat that.

Final note:
Apparently you can randomize the type and number of your opponents for the Protector of Laar if you click the Battles link at the top of the screen. After getting stuck and then stubbornly retrying various combinations for dealing with the same deck with the two cards having “back off” ability, I decided to go back to the Battles link and noticed the combinations changed. What this means is if you’re clever ;) you could find a combination better suited for what your decks can handle although the battles will still be tough.

Flag Post
Originally posted by nzipl:
Apparently you can randomize the type and number of your opponents for the Protector of Laar if you click the Battles link at the top of the screen. After getting stuck and then stubbornly retrying various combinations for dealing with the same deck with the two cards having “back off” ability, I decided to go back to the Battles link and noticed the combinations changed. What this means is if you’re clever ;) you could find a combination better suited for what your decks can handle although the battles will still be tough.

I think it works with every campain not only that one. I remember doing this with the initial free campains (for the elemental lands) when I didnt have a strong deck, trying to get a 1-squad enemy since I couldnt have a good 2-squad (even 3-squad). And that before even trying to battle the next battle after win one. Win, if it was a 3-squad, I used this to randomize and get a 1-squad.

Flag Post

The smaller prizes if you lose are stupid when luck is such a large element. I mean, I have lost battles just because I had a single bad card match up. For example I had a magic using card that got paired with one immune to magic that also had concentration. Then other times one of my cards gets paired up against another card that is immune to the former’s attack and also has either the commander or leader ability. This is even worse, especially with commander because then I get horribly steamrolled.

Flag Post

Protector of Laar VII
60K upfront cost, 15 battles for the sequence

Perfect win rewards 3K once again (x15) = 45K

End of sequence bonus: 30K

Net gain (best case): 15K

The battles in this sequence may seem somewhat more challenging than the previous battles for the Protector sequence. You’ll definitely want to look for favorable matchups or else you will be eating a loss for every new battle. Luck is a big factor in this game and can work for you or against you; one turn can make a big difference and influence the outcome. As Glaceia has mentioned, there could be one annoying card that you can’t get off the board which either counters or destroys your deck. There are instances where you manage to pull off a win just before your deck is about to get annihilated and other times you just cannot believe the bad fortune of the draw. Not much can be done about the randomness but I guess the best you can do is build a good strategy for the deck and hope for a good draw and matchups.

Flag Post

Protector of Laar VII

The battles in this sequence may seem somewhat more challenging than the previous battles for the Protector sequence. You’ll definitely want to look for favorable matchups or else you will be eating a loss for every new battle. Luck is a big factor in this game and can work for you or against you; one turn can make a big difference and influence the outcome. As Glaceia has mentioned, there could be one annoying card that you can’t get off the board which either counters or destroys your deck. There are instances where you manage to pull off a win just before your deck is about to get annihilated and other times you just cannot believe the bad fortune of the draw. Not much can be done about the randomness but I guess the best you can do is build a good strategy for the deck and hope for a good draw and matchups.

Exactly, we shouldn’t be punished when luck is such a huge element of this game. In most games, it doesn’t matter if you lost before, the prize will be the same if you beat it on your first try or your 100th.

This game mechanic also punishes us for experimenting. Being able to experiment is very important in card bases games, you won’t know what the best layout without experimenting.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Glaceia:

Protector of Laar VII

Exactly, we shouldn’t be punished when luck is such a huge element of this game. In most games, it doesn’t matter if you lost before, the prize will be the same if you beat it on your first try or your 100th.

This game mechanic also punishes us for experimenting. Being able to experiment is very important in card bases games, you won’t know what the best layout without experimenting.

I just bought the Laar 1 and lost 3 times in a row. this isnt a problem, it is great if a game is challenging. but it is a problem i cant try different strategies to beat it because i wont get reward then. so I just can’t play this quest now, which would be fun to find the solution. I have to wait till ill have better cards(and I guess when Ill have the better cards the quest wont be fun, because it isnt fun to win battles at the first time). this is a truly bad game design decision.

Flag Post

Protector of Laar X
80K upfront cost, 20 battles for the sequence

Perfect win rewards 3K (x20) = 60K

End of sequence bonus: 40K

Protector of Laar X achievement bonus: 10K

Net gain (best case): 30K

Once you hit Protector of Laar VIII and IX, you will see decks composed of promos and ultra rares. Protector of Laar X is more of the same, except with more battles in the sequence. Hopefully by now, you have a good strategy/cards with your decks so that you can minimize reward losses and you are selecting opposing decks which give you a better probability of winning on the first attempt. Finishing off the final set in the Protector of Laar sequence is a major achievement in and of itself. The developers deserve props for creating a difficult challenge and when you finally finish off this grueling sequence you definitely feel like you earned it.

Flag Post

seriously…. you even lowered the rewards for some campaigns? :/ I got only 4000 for the first try win in the haste potion quest. So IF I win all the 10 matches I’ll have 5000 imperials (4000*10-35000). so the price of a half standard pack.
edit: and it is even worse. final results:
6 * first try win(4000), 3 * second try win(2500), 1 * 3rd try win (1000)=32500 imperials
so i lost 2500 imperials by finishing a campaign. how generous.
edit2: and the super lol: it costs 45000 for the second try.

Flag Post

not just lowered the rewards, also increased the cost. so (nearly) no more profit to gain from campaigns >.>

Flag Post

I have a few campaigns I bought a while ago and I’m not going to touch them until I have an epic deck. Otherwise it will just be a waste.

Flag Post
Originally posted by kakanar:

Ikhve’s Ax:

Might be outdated. Got only 4800 on 1st try, 3000 on second.
Can’t remember what I got for the Hammer Campaign some days ago.

Edit: Just bought the Haste Potion: 4000 for first win.

Flag Post

Waaaait,… I must’ve missed the fact that if you fail you get less rewards until now.

That would explain why I had varying rewards.
Great design decision – if your deck is weak, let’s make it so you continue to stay weaker for longer. A+ thinking there.
Welp, time to find a new game.

Flag Post

Ok, after playing for some more days I really have to say this mechanic of gaining less reward after the first try is depressing and demotivating.
Spending more than 30 mana for each fight encountering more and more promos (being lvl 35 with zero promos from packs) I know I wont purchase a campaing for a very long time.

Flag Post

I was lucky in that I got two promos from boosters so far. Sadly one of the promos is shockingly weak for a promo. The other is really good tho. Yet even I still refuse to touch the campaigns because I would probably lose anyway.

Flag Post

basing on those data, the campaigns aren’t worth to buy if you’re fairly new to the game… really needs to change.

Flag Post

im a kinda experienced player(22th in lands) and you can see my result of one of the cheapest paying campaigns above. so yeah, i guess you need VERY strong decks to gain imperials from campaigns. I think the only reason to play them is to get the card if it is needed for you. (It is a big question, what can you do in the game if you don’t play the campaigns. not much)

Flag Post

One thing that a lot of people seem to be missing is that the campaign rewards go back up to the maximum over time. If you lose a campaign battle, wait 12 hours before you try again. You won’t get any less reward than if you beat it on the first try. This mechanic isn’t punishing losing or experimentation; it punishes grinding, which I think is good for the casual player.