Game lacks objective

13 posts

Flag Post

So a few days have passed since the update. As somebody who wanted to spend money on the game to get a couple archmage boxes but can’t (blame it on stupid paypal policies), I’m finding myself with less and less reason to spend any time in this game.

So far, the options to free players are the following:

• Earn imperials to buy standard set boosters, and get the very subpar standard set cards that get you nowhere near the squad efficiency that pro-set cards get you. Note that I own the vast majority of standard set cards and played thousands of battles against pro-decks, so I’m not just saying that without knowing what I’m talking about. Also worth noting that cards obtainable without use of ounces represent only around 50%, if not less, of all cards available (and the weakest half while at that).
  • Alternatively spend imperials to buy pre-constructed squads to get a very select few pro-set cards for imps
  • Get a random Ultra-rare pro-set card every 27 days.
  • Get 6-7 ounces a week, save for months/years (if you log in religiously every single day without fail) until you can buy something worthwhile. Or at least over 2 weeks for a single pro-set booster.

Seeing as only the first two options are realistic for 99,9% of the free players, and that otherwise free players are stuck with the weakest cards in the game (for almost every standard set card, there is a pro-set card that outperforms it in every way, save perhaps for Killer cards, which are exclusive to standard), there really isn’t much reason to play.

You can:

• Save imperials to unlock campaigns (most campaigns aren’t worth it, and you can only complete them once or twice for imperials, depending on the campaign)
  • Expand your island (lengthy process, although made easier with the new redirect)
  • Do daily campaigns (24h wait for a tiny reward, should scale with level)
  • Fight friends
  • Fight Barbarians
  • Gamble Try your luck at the Dragon Treasure (yeah, right, fat chance as a free player)

All of the above gets you imperials, which you can spend getting tower upgrades to ultimately get more imperials, or spend the imperials on more useless standard cards. Do you see where the problem is?

So, in short:

• Game has too much paid content compared to free content, to the point the game feels like just a “demo” to free players.
    In most popular “freemium games” the paid content is an alternative to get you things faster without endless grinding, not a gigantic limit to what content free players have access to.
  • Free content is in general very underwhelming compared to paid content.
    This, in a way is fair, because people who pay should be rewarded with better stuff, however punishing free players by having them fight both A.I. as well as (mostly) paying players at higher levels with much better cards that you will never have access to, makes you feel like you’ve accomplished nothing. Especially when no matter how many free cards you buy you’ll never have a fighting chance, save for getting the odd lucky roll.
  • Game needs an alternate way of earning ounces. Popular player suggestions include:
    1) Marketplace and/or auction to trade/sell cards (maybe charging 1 ounce per transaction, to prevent abuse)
    2) Sealed/drafted tournaments (I know this is in the pipeline) with ounce prizes.
    3) More achievements that give a small amount of ounces, it could even replace the imperial reward, and if you need ideas for further achievements, I’m sure the community, me included, could provide many ideas.
    4) Give a couple ounces per level up, maybe have the amount increase as you go. The current 1k imperials per level and 15k per multiple of 10 is a terrible reward, especially when the game gets exponentially increasingly difficult as you level up. Levelling up is literally much more of a punishment than a boon, in the current state of the game.

As it is right now, I just log in to fight off invaders every now and then, while I wait for the next update to bring something worthy of spending my time. I dont even try to expand my island anymore, since elemental experience is still useless, the lab cards are still extremely overpriced and I don’t feel like I need more imperial income to buy more standard set cards to get 1 new (and generally completely useless) card every 10 packs, if I’m lucky.

P.S.: For tournaments, it would be interesting if you would let players pick the order of cards, else it will just be a boring gamble that involves little skill, like the Dragon Treasure is, at the moment.

Flag Post

ur right!

Flag Post

I call THIS a fair analysis. And i’m one of the players that paid for premium content, just to be precise.

Flag Post

Edited with better formatting for easier reading.

Flag Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWMBeLrZoyw

I believe that for a game like this, there should be a way for a free player to have at least a 50% chance to access each of the premium cards after 1 year of playing, thou the amount of effort spent can be of extreme level (for example, 1 friend fight every 20 seconds continuously, or 180 fights per hour, 1576800 fights in the year and thus 315 million imp earned total (level up reward not considered, probably another million or 2 there)

And I mean 50% chance on each cards individually, not 50% chance to get every single card. That means in the end, he should have ~60-70% of all pro set cards(of COMPLETELY random assortment, instead of only the bad/weak ones) and almost every, if not every, standard card.
Note the 60-70% thing is because 50% chance is on the hardest-to-get ones and most cards are easier and some cards can be received via other means.

Exactly how that works? I don’t care. perhaps sell pro packs for 100k imp each. 3000 packs should do about that. All we ask for is a chance.

Flag Post

I avoided high exp yielding fights to not level up, but yesterday I won 20 lands in a single day, and now all barbarians and campaigns suddenly have a ton of promos.

I cannot win a single battle now, losing over 30 battles this evening after I added the lands.

I am forced over the edge of the PAY OR QUIT abyss.

Flag Post
Originally posted by OMGWTFFFS:

• Gamble Try your luck at the Dragon Treasure (yeah, right, fat chance as a free player)
  • Really LOLed here!
    the Dragon Treasure is a joke, yesterday i fought a deck with 3 butchers, 3 (or more?)demons with terror 3, a lot of commander 2 promos and chain lightning ( i think) , something unbeatable for a free player ( only with some luck)

…And about the mirror battles you fight against your own deck, 50% chance to win? IF you win:

-10k spended + 15kprize (or more, but need some luck) = 5k profit

and IF you lose:

-10k prejudice

50% of chance, or fight against a unbeatable deck(ok, i’m level 56, but this continue to be absurd, the best of pro set?), for a greater prejuDICE than a benefit? mirror battle is completly luck based and was applied for something of this kind?

Anyway nice thread ^^

Flag Post

Game lacks objective pretty much sums it up.

I agree the game has underwhelming free content, and is substanceless.

Alternate ounce earning ways? Marketplace could work unless those selling the most for ounces are those with the most ounces to begin with. Tournaments I dislike since $$ will still coalesce in the hands of the strongest, disadvantaging new players (IE ounces can buy imperials/land to get more imps, join more tourneys). Achieves are a temp patch but good. Ounces per level are fine.

Overall #1 change: difficulty should scale with cards and amount of cards owned, not level.

Flag Post

OMGWTFFFS and other commented, thank you for your posts. I will forward your thoughts to the developers.

BTW, here is the line of daily log-ins rewards (to fix the incorrect numbers above):
    Daily rewards: 1 day – 500 imp; 2 – 1000 imp; 3 – 2000 imp; 4 – 1 ounce; 5 – 2 ounces; 6 – 3 ounces; 7 – 2000 imp; 8 – 2000 imp; 9 – 4 ounces; 10 – 500 imp; 11 – 1000 imp; 12 – 2000 imp; 13 – 1 ounce; 14 – 2 ounces; 15 – 3 ounces; 16 – 2000 imp; 17 – 2000 imp; 18 – 4 ounces; 19 – 500 imp; 20 – 1000 imp; 21 – 2000 imp; 22 – 1 ounce; 23 – 2 ounces; 24 – 3 ounces; 25 – 2000 imp; 26 – 2000 imp; 27 – random ultra-rare card from pro set.

Flag Post
    Originally posted by AlexBytex:

OMGWTFFFS and other commented, thank you for your posts. I will forward your thoughts to the developers.

BTW, here is the line of daily log-ins rewards (to fix the incorrect numbers above):
    Daily rewards: 1 day – 500 imp; 2 – 1000 imp; 3 – 2000 imp; 4 – 1 ounce; 5 – 2 ounces; 6 – 3 ounces; 7 – 2000 imp; 8 – 2000 imp; 9 – 4 ounces; 10 – 500 imp; 11 – 1000 imp; 12 – 2000 imp; 13 – 1 ounce; 14 – 2 ounces; 15 – 3 ounces; 16 – 2000 imp; 17 – 2000 imp; 18 – 4 ounces; 19 – 500 imp; 20 – 1000 imp; 21 – 2000 imp; 22 – 1 ounce; 23 – 2 ounces; 24 – 3 ounces; 25 – 2000 imp; 26 – 2000 imp; 27 – random ultra-rare card from pro set.

Thanks, Alex, I corrected the first post accordingly.

Flag Post

Bump.

The pve in this game is interesting but runs out fast. Once I save enough money and energy it will take me maybe 5 hours total to do all the PvE campaigns. The game punishes you for leveling. Higher player level = higher level mobs to kill.

The pvp in this game is awful. Koth and Dragon – I don’t even play because the costs of joining are too high, and because I know the same top 40 or so players dominate. It’s also not fun at all – just random collections of cards against eachother. Very limited.

Flag Post

I have played this game quite a bit and I agree with this analysis.

As FullThrottle1 points out, the game punishes the free player for leveling up. This is because those that pay ounces have more ability to make money. Over time this compounds on it’s self, as the free player has to fight tougher and tougher players with less and less competitive decks.

This puts your game perilously close to the pay to win financial model.

I would also like some way to improve other than by simply adding cards to my deck. After a while it can get to the point where only promo cards can truly improve my deck. And Promos are quite few and far between, especially for a free player. We need some alternate way to improve our game while we wait for those rare promos. Maybe a way to level cards or something…

And as for your daily rewards, I may be doing it wrong… but it seems like half the time the game does not recognize that I am on and playing in a new day, even if I refresh. I’m not sure what the best way to make sure it recognizes me is… maybe the latest patch will help.

Very nice game, don’t get me wrong. I gave you 5 stars. Lots of potential, but some improvements do need to be made if you want to keep people and expand the game.

Flag Post

Thank you for your feedback, friends.
    We really try to make the game better. However, development isn’t a fast thing. Therefore, we cannot implement every suggestion the same day. :-)