So your new element boosters have a big problem.

14 posts

Flag Post

The price is completely and I do mean COMPLETELY inconsistent with EVERYTHING else you have EVER sold through the store.

Standard Pack 10000 Imperials
Standard Element Pack 12500 imperials…so that’s about a 20% increase right?

Perfectly understandable and quite fair.

Professional Booster Pack – 15 ounces Fair enough even free players can get this

Booster Box of 20 Professional Booster Packs 200 ounces.

200/15 = 13.33 so you are getting about a pack and a half for free. Really its more just buying in bulk which is fine…then everything else gets insane from their but they start to have added bonuses.

So 15 for a Professional Pack we covered that much right….

Ok so please enlighten me why the hell a Professional Element Pack is FORTY FIVE OUNCES? There is no way in any world you can justify this as it stands.

standard to element conversion rate increase 25%

Professional to Element 300%? THREE HUNDRED PERCENT?

This is unacceptable, and should have been tested and evaluated in house before you set this pricing.

This isn’t feedback though you may take it as such this is straight out blatently accusing you of pulling a complete 180 with your fair pricing for everything else in the game so far. Not acceptable by any means.

Flag Post

i agree 100% 45 ounces is just steep. With a promo drop rate of 1 in 5 packs u’d have to spend an average of 225 ounces to expect to drop a promo.

Flag Post

I would not go off the deep end and start “accusing” anybody of being unfair.

The price of the new pro element packs are badly decided, probably because Bytex did not do any market testing (I don’t believe they do, and really designers always should), and obviously the price they chose is a bad mistake. Still it is not “intentional” in the sense you are claiming. They will surely change the price. No need to get more upset than is warranted.

Flag Post

I’m not usually a big fan of forums, but since ShiranaiJittai seems really offended by this new pricing, I’m going to try to explain why, in my opinion, this is perfectly logical :
- the argument about imps booster is not valid because imps are not real money, so there is no business model (bytex don’t care if ppl only buy elemental boosters to finish their non-promo collection)
- If you want promos, any promo, buy a pro booster or a booster box, that’s the best rate you can have
- who are people who pay for elemental boosters? people who want specific cards. So those boosters have only 1/5th (let’s forget the neutral) of the collection. It would be logical to make them pay more : they have 5x more chance to get the card! it’s paying 3x the price to have 5x the possibility. What is wrong with that?

peace

Flag Post

@ Ssawed no you are not estimating corectly. your arguement is invalid, that is why even elemental boosters offer the same rarity levels as the professinal ones. If a standar booster is 10 ounches and the elemental equivalent is 12500 and the professional booster is 15 the professional elemental must me arround 20 ounches. 45 is absurd!
Maybe you get more chances to get one specific card but at the same time you loose chances to get other promo cards and you don’t have a chance to get neutral. And this should be calculated in the price. Why must players who are looking for a particular card, be ripped-off like that after all?

Flag Post

I agree. The problem is – at this price , just to expect to drop ONE promo, any promo, u’d have to expect to use 225 ounces, which equals 15$. To go for a specific card the expected cost will be astronomical. In the hundreds of dollars for some cards. Is there a market likely to exhibit that kind of enthusiasm? Not yet. That requires an established game with a large dedicated following of fans. Is milking the cow at this stage likely to get the game to this stage anywhere soon? Not likely IMO.

Flag Post

The problem is that since they offered free ounces, and every daily login basically gets about a pro pack every three weeks, they need to up the price for element boosters to bring in added revenue. Sure they’re pricey, but you get about 15 ounces every two weeks, right? So an element pack is maybe a month and a half of daily logins. Or you can pay money to speed up the process.

Flag Post

You realise that one answer to the problem as presented is to actually raise the price of a normal pro booster to 35 ounces?

Be careful what you ask for. Yes they are expensive in comparison to other offers (depending on how relevant you think other offers are). So what if they aren’t popular? It just makes the normal pro booster look like a great deal :p

Flag Post
Originally posted by JMCrooks:

The problem is that since they offered free ounces, and every daily login basically gets about a pro pack every three weeks, they need to up the price for element boosters to bring in added revenue. Sure they’re pricey, but you get about 15 ounces every two weeks, right?

No this assumes those who rely on daily logins for revenue would also pay to play this game, which is largely not true. The only “added” revenue they get is from hooking in the few suckers who believe this game has enough lasting appeal to pay.

Originally posted by Dharkmage:

You realise that one answer to the problem as presented is to actually raise the price of a normal pro booster to 35 ounces?

Actually it isn’t. By raising the price you limit those who expect the price to be 15 (or 8) ounces a pack, and thus they don’t pay.

Of those that tried the game, retention rate of regular players is at max 3%, very very low compared to industry standards. Thus, lack of available pro cards further decreases the already small player pool. For a game centered upon a winner-takes-all framework, this scheme would not last.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Dharkmage:

Be careful what you ask for. Yes they are expensive in comparison to other offers (depending on how relevant you think other offers are). So what if they aren’t popular? It just makes the normal pro booster look like a great deal :p

(edited to try to say the same thing less abrasively then I had before)

No I don’t see that as an answer to the problem. In any business whether online or in a store there are key times and reasons to “set a price.”

When you first open your business no matter what it is that price point is what your customers will initially expect of you. There are instances where prices of items go up sure and though technically the store always has the right to set their own price everyone will cry foul over it. News outlets, customers, and competitors will demonize a company that raises their prices usually within an hour or two of “discovering so” Or they will just raise their own but 5 cents less then the competiton did. That is one instance.

The others are your competitors your competitors directly influence your pricing. PERIOD. Look at what Amazon has done to the retail industry? I have worked for multiple retail companies, and the number one question of the day no matter where I am is “Do you guys match Amazon?” The only customer who doesn’t ask this is the one who already did 50 times before, and either got a yes or no response and now come to expect that. The best part was when a company I used to work for used to and then it was announced we wouldn’t anymore. You know what happened we lost 30% of our business overnight.

When I wrote this thread I was in a rush so I didn’t really go through to much elaboration on the specifics except for the numbers themselves, so I probably came off like a spoiled child that was never the intention. The intention was always a forewarning that this kind of practice never ends up well for a company. Do they have the right to do so? Absolutely? Should they? It depends on the situation.

Now if we look at Berserk the Cataclysm in regards to this situation then no it is not waranted in any way.

There was an update announcement something like a few months ago saying prices of ounces had been lowered to give a better value. I don’t know what it said specifically but it was something to that effect. Guess when I started spending money in the game? After that announcement.

I have never been the market for the individual professional boosters. I play too many of these types of games when I told myself I wouldn’t. I don’t spend that much but I play enough of them and spend that little amount in them that it adds up over time. I am not a whale and I have nothing against those that are it is their money they earned it they can do what they want with it. If I had that kind of money I probably wouldn’t spend the extent that they do but again to each their own.

My message was more one of disappointment if you think I was a raving lunatic going how dare they blah blah blah I can understand completely how you would get that impression. Was I upset sure. Honestly though it barely affects me. I knew it would be something people who spend money in the game would want a say in, and I knew even with my limited skills in the Math department that it was quite literally going against EVERY price model the game had come to be known for. When they created the game they set the price. If they were the apple of CCG games sure they could afford to make such a risky move. They aren’t. I don’t see this to cause offense to Bytex in crew just to give you some raw stats.

There are probably a good 30 or so other companies with similar games doing the same kind of thing no here just with the ccg department alone. Some thrive some have fizzled and died some are static. Speaking as bluntly as possible. You do not yet have the amount of players or the credibility to warrant such an insane price increase. If you wanted to set this type of price you should done so long ago. Now it is too late. You already set your price point. That is what your customers expect of you now. Should a premium pack be more expensive then the standard? Absolutely it should, but it should follow a specific pricing model. Not only are customers not as stupid as companies think they tend to be….hmm well maybe some are I guess. Your audience here though? We aren’t those type of customers. We are the type of customers that look at the price on google before we walk in to Best Buy.

I can tell you with absolute certainty that most of your customers here play the other games as well they might not anymore because they felt like that company screwed them over or they might play all of them…..I play like 5-7 different ones right now. I would say 10% of the amount I spend I spend on this game. Guess what type of situations cause people to stop playing a game? This one here. The pricing barely effects me but it affects your players that spend more then me. It is not a smart business decision the message was meant as a word of caution as well as a “shame on you you know better.”

Now this next bit might come off as offensive but it is only my opinion. There isn’t enough in this game to warrant the prices you are suddenly expecting. Again as stated before if you had those kind of prices from the beginning no one would know or care they either would or wouldn’t spend money. When you raise prices that much though that is when the customer feels cheated. This game has a really cool original concept. Unfortuantely said concept also means I have no say over when I play what card the only strategy is in how you build your deck and what’s in it. Their is no form of live player vs player. You have no features in this game that warrant this sudden price increase, and because of the way the game is designed you would have to drastically change the game in order to make said features even remotely possible.

The sole reason I have spent any money on this game so far as because of the affordable pricing compared to the competitors. It is not better then the competitor games not by a longshot I can’t do near enough for it to be so. It is better then a lot of them though. You have a good thing going here, and there are plenty here who disagree with me on whether it is or isn’t better I am sure. When you hike the price this much though you slap all your loyal customers in the face customers far more loyal then myself customers that make or break this type of games success. It just isn’t in any regard a smart business move. Feel free to raise and enrage all your prices years from now when the game is more established out of beta and has the amount of players of something like say Clash or Tyrant does. Not saying those games are better or worse just saying they have a much larger database of players, and quite a bit more to do. You need to create value before you raise prices like that. Business 101.

Furthermore I personally think 20 ounces is too cheap. As stated above it is premium currency. It should be treated as such but there is no way for you to justify a 300% increase in the price of a specialized pack based off element. I am willing to hear it though if you want to give your community a reason. You are by no means obligated to but it couldn’t hurt your cause.

Flag Post

As one of your better cash customers (I assume), I can tell you that I am not interested in buying elemental packs at 45 ounces each and in fact am probably going to move away from any future cash purchases if this is the direction you are going in.

Flag Post

Thank you for your feedback.
I will prepare a summary for the developers.

Flag Post

I had bought a few ounces a week ago (not when they were on sale) and bought a single pro element booster (at the sale price)and can say that was the first and last time I would buy one. To buy 1 of them and get no better than a junk super rare a pure rip off. Even 30 ounces for one of these is like digging into my pocket, handing me a fresh loaf, and making me eat it. If your going to rip people off at least offer some guarantees of minimums so we can be sure we are getting what we pay for.

Flag Post

not to be a prick or anything but 15 dollars for 30-some cards and a (single) quality rare is pretty cheap as far as ccg/tcg industry goes. especially concidering the fact that your missing out on trades.