The ideas I find bad in this game

7 posts

Flag Post

I know none of these are likely to change years after the game is out, but I feel game could have been far more interesting with slightly different systems.

• level (only) based VP system :
    At the same level there are ultra easy opponents sometimes without even a skill equiped, and excellent builds (spe PvP, and/or donnators), but you gain the exact same amount of VPs beating the two ? Looks like extremely bad risk/reward balance, and favors organized suicide to help friends (ie : removing skills/gear and announcing in guild chat to attack you) as you can lose nothing in defensive PvP. A better system would give more or less VP based on the opponent PvP rank or frequency this player is beaten in defensive PvP, rewarding people making an effort to adapt their build to beat strong opponents, instead of just chosing easy targets.
  • avatar wars : increase the affermentionned risk/reward issue. Instead of gaining more beating an hard opponent you gain double vp beating an opponent happening to be in a random avatar group. It’s completely free extra vp (as long there are easy opponents in that avatar group, and if there is none you are just punished by a random factor).
  • diablerie :
    Having one skill increasing both PvP attack and defense, and having a feat both causing damage and healing in addition, is too good, and end reducing by half the skill diversity in PvP builds. Add to that that chloromancy is excellent for a power ultra super easy to developp, you end with 9 non trivial opponents in 10 using the same skills (at least before very high levels). If you had to beat strong opponents to gain the most VP/energy you’d perhaps use more specialized skills more often to counter their builds, but as it is, as long you have the weak opponents option, you have no reason to think further than diablerie + chloro.
  • cooldown on newly equiped powers :
    Another thing that reduce a lot diversity, with tons of powers that have a cool feats but seems never used according to veterans, and players ending disenchanting scrolls before even learning a power (as half end just encumbering powers page).
    If instead of a cooldown on equiping power, the cooldown was only based on each power use, everyone of them would be desirable to continue to have feat options in as many fights possible, and so combat would end far more active and interesting. And I think it would probably even increase a little game income (less situations where you have reasons to wait rather than using a refill).
    (Of course to compensate the higher availability of nukes defensive PvP powers/servants and some pve monsters would need to be boosted a little)
  • PvE talent points gained on monsters you have no way to increase your chances to encounter : At least add quests allowing to increase your chances to encounter the talents giving monsters. Endlessly farming totally trivial zones like R1 in hope to encounter skeletons or waste gouls is extremely boring, give the players options to increase their chances of finding these specific monsters (or base the talent system on defeating categories of monsters of your level rather than ultra specific opponents in probably trivial zones).

I know lots of things being random is a design choice (I suspect this genre developpers to have studied slot machines addictivity psychological mechanisms before turning them into MMOs) but I think just a little less randomness and a little more rewarding of intelligent play, adaptation, diversity etc… would be more satisfying while still keeping the luck based game addictivity.

Flag Post

1: at the very beginning of this game there are a lot of abandoned accounts so yes it will be easy to beat a lot of them, later on it gets much harder.

2: what? “Instead of gaining more beating an hard opponent you gain double vp beating an opponent happening to be in a random avatar group.” What are you trying to say?

3: Your point? Most setups are similar, the reason why, because they work. Get over it.

4: This is to prevent Hit and run tactics. This game revolves around grinding not detailed fighting.

5: This is a grinding game, get over it.

this is not an MMO and the core of this game is an Random Number Generator, thus it is ment to be random.

TL:DR
get over it.

Flag Post
Originally posted by vegebond:

1: at the very beginning of this game there are a lot of abandoned accounts so yes it will be easy to beat a lot of them, later on it gets much harder.

2: what? “Instead of gaining more beating an hard opponent you gain double vp beating an opponent happening to be in a random avatar group.” What are you trying to say?

3: Your point? Most setups are similar, the reason why, because they work. Get over it.

4: This is to prevent Hit and run tactics. This game revolves around grinding not detailed fighting.

5: This is a grinding game, get over it.

this is not an MMO and the core of this game is an Random Number Generator, thus it is ment to be random.

TL:DR
get over it.

Yes, most of the game’s core mechanics suck. But rather than play it regardless, I’d recommend quiting. It won’t do you any good to keep playing a game which isn’t your style. Also, 2 is saying rather than rewarding ability, the game rewards luck. The guy dislikes randomized, boringly similar, grindy battles.

Flag Post

Actually I don’t completely hate that luck is important in this game, or that you need to grind, or I wouldn’t play at all. I just find these aspects a little too excessive.

I just think it’s sad when you consider the character developpment part is very rich for this genre, and would be a good base for a far more strategic pvp, it’s wasted as there’s no incentive to do anything but prey on the easiest targets, and while lots of power/gear choices exist in theory, a lot of systems seem only there to reduce the final diversity of builds used, especially in pvp (another diversity killer I forgot in my list is the idea to have a very limited number of sets reducing BL per fight, making tons of people use the exact same 5 items as nobody want to miss this bonus).
Seems devs of this game made a lot of uneccessary work as most players would see no difference if they had just coded the 4-5 powers and the dozen of items they ever use instead of hundreds.

Anyway it won’t make me unable to follow my goal, which would be to developp builds able to farm not the weak but the top pvp opposition as it’s the only thing I may find interesting long term in any rpg with pvp (imagining I’ll have the patience to grind for 80 more levels + farm all the pve stuff needed before I can start doing that, which I’m not totally sure at this point).
But I find sad, considering the rarity of games both fast to play and having rich enough character developpment to make pvp interesting, that this one don’t favor at all this playstyle (hardcores games with well thought competitive pvp are not hard to find, but I’ve yet to find one not requiring lots of consecutive playtime).

Flag Post

PvP at the level cap is much more complicated than you think …. the pvp guide shows some ideas that are prevalent and used.

It’s true that before the level cap the focus is on accumulating rubies and VPs from pvp – hence the repeated bashing of weaker setups. There’s also somewhat less diversity early on especially for hardcore pvpers. That being said, as pvpers start to diversify into pve/pvb and reach higher levels, many other setups become usable – its not just diablerie/chloro all the way anymore paired with all battlemaster stuff.

To really enjoy this game, I recommend doing pvp still, but start to build towards the late game – having a clear idea of what build you want late game helps a lot, as does planning out which items to get first (loot boosters for instance).

Flag Post

It’s because the guide that everyone becomes PVPer on early levels. The thing that you should understand is when will you stop become PVPer and shift to PVE/PVB. Depends on your goal though, is it until getting enough rubies to buy LGLG? or until you fulfill all PVP Talent Points.

Pktime just create the guide because at higher level, PVP becomes much harder not only because the VP price for equipment, but also the number of player on higher level is significantly low. And this is just happened to me, luckily I am able to create a PVP build with Bloodbane 20 and Bloodward 23. though no talent filled at duelist tree.

Flag Post

Precisely I don’t plan to stop being PvPer, as like I said above what interest me in this kind of games is developping builds countering other pvp builds (doesn’t mean I won’t do pve/pvb, but for me they are a way to get the stuff needed to do that, not a finality).

Globally the big interest I find in PvP compared to PvE is you have to adapt to an evolving opposition and evolving metagame (and yes I hope in high levels that opposition force to use diverse builds and require more thinking than equiping diablerie, chloro and same generalist stuff for every fight, or the game would just have no interest for me). And by the way I already have an idea of the 4 or 5 builds I’ll want to developp for high levels.

Now I realise this game favor a carreer plan which is just the contrary of the one you usually follow in PvP games (instead of “do PvE to farm stuff untill you can compete in PvP” it’s “farm PvP in the early levels then you can forget and focus on PvE/B”), and considering that + all people saying you don’t find enough pvp targets at high levels, I’m not sure I’ll find the endgame interesting (as people have nothing to lose in defensive PvP, I fear they’ll see no reason to adapt to what will be dominant, and so the main interest of PvP, having to adapt to counter ever changing builds, would disappear fast).

But I’m expecting/hoping by the time I’ll be in levels 100+ there will be enough opposition (logically most people will be at max level at some point), and eventually some system changes or pvp events like tournaments, making the game more suited for my taste.