Punished for joining early.

23 posts

Flag Post

This game has punished people for being early players twice now. First time, it did it by halving the price of packs and stuff, so if you bought packs at the double price before, well too bad, you wasted money.

Second time is with the 5 levels, if you use a hard evo to get a level 2, to a level 3, when now a simple evo can do that, and hard evos can get 3 to 4 and 4 to 5, well too bad, you wasted crystals. Also wasted tokens/real money and coins if you used them to buy said crystals.

Even if you think a change is good, IE the half price thing, its still too cruel to long time players. You really should compensate them or something. And it is even more cruel with the 5 levels thing, which not everyone even thinks is a good idea.

Flag Post

- Right, or have X bonus to upgraves with 50% some cards.

Flag Post

And you are still much more in advance to new players. It’s always an advantage to join early , now it makes is only a little less advantage. And it’s fair and it’s only way to gaining new players, they must have a way to catch up.
There is no considence that the best players are mainly who starts early. So just stop bitching about it, it’s good for a game.
(and of course all I’m writing is only about players who doesn’t spend real money on this game).

Flag Post

How is it more advantages in this game to play earlier before these changes?

Flag Post
Originally posted by weshu:

And you are still much more in advance to new players. It’s always an advantage to join early , now it makes is only a little less advantage. And it’s fair and it’s only way to gaining new players, they must have a way to catch up.
There is no considence that the best players are mainly who starts early. So just stop bitching about it, it’s good for a game.
(and of course all I’m writing is only about players who doesn’t spend real money on this game).

If you play before,in 3 months, you do same advances same one player in 2 months for sure, maybe less time. Of course you have playing more time, but the game is more easy now what before is obvius and we must speedn a lot of money for do things what the new players do now for less money.

Flag Post

Also, there are mission complete rewards one can not get a second time.

Flag Post
Originally posted by TruePurple:

How is it more advantages in this game to play earlier before these changes?

How ? It really isn’t obvious ?

Now you do every things with completely the same cost as new players – yes ?
But you already have a lot of cards, better deck, some more experience etc….
And new players even if they pay less , they still have to pay and still have to catch up.

Simple as that.

It has to be done this way… another way there won’t be a possibility for new players to catch up.

It will be not fair if the new players has cheaper prices and you have old onces.
But the prices now are completely the same for you and for new players and you have bigger bag of experiences and much more cards … I can’t explain it simplier.

Flag Post

I wonder if I can demand Apple give me half my money back for paying full price for my iPhone 4 because now it is being sold more than 50% cheaper then when it first came out?

If for some reason Edge decided to increase the prices could they force you to pay the difference for purchases you had already made, because new players would get a “bad” deal compared to old players?

This is just pricing forces at work. I understand that it sucks you spent more money then you would now to buy gems, but the alternative would have been to have gems even more expensive, which I bet you would hate even more.

Flag Post

This game is beta. If you play a beta game you should expect changes, quite possible price changes. It’s very annoying to have bought loads of boosters for 25,000 and evo crystals for their full price; some people including me spent 225,000 on levelling epics to 3 (some people have even paid the 500,000 it cost oringinally). It now costs only 67,000. But that’s the risk you take when playing a beta game and seriously think about it – do you like the fact that level 3 is much easier to get now? Or would you like level 3 to take the second evo as well?

Flag Post

Yes, since it is a beta game we should dump it and start playing when it is not beta? So we can laugh at the players who are loyal to the game for joining earlier and being contribute to the game activity?

I don’t know much about flash game, all other beta game I bought are cheaper as the developers way of rewarding loyal players that HELP BALANCING and HIGHLIGHT BUGS for their beta game and give EARLY CASH FLOW.

When the game goes official then yes, maybe after 6 month the price will decrease.

Edge could, at have price slash give old players like 1000 token or X number of gems as a thank you for old players.

Flag Post

Yeah gnostic85, if it were me, I would have given people a certain amount of coin based on how long they were on up to the first price slash. Then with the second devaluation, replacement crystals for every mission players have already completed that give crystals (assuming one can do that within current flash code know-how for this game) Or something like that.

Now I have seen games go to the opposite extreme and give lots of bonuses for early comers, and when I say opposite extreme, I mean EXTREME it’s like night and day. Better to be in the middle ground I think

And weshu, there is no need for early players to “catch up”, and if that was a objective, adding two new allie levels to everything works against that.

Also, since the strongest coin and crystal source is mission bunch completions, in some ways older players could be at a disadvantage to newer players, especially if they were casual older players.

Look the whole idea is time exchange, one pays to reduce the amount of time everything takes. Or one spends alot of their own time playing to make up the difference and the owner gets advertising money, plus people for the pay crowd to play with. But if someone invests real time or money into this game, and oh does it want you to do just that the way it is set up, it is mean and even borderline dishonest to suddenly make their time or money invested for not.

I mean it would be like a store selling their own currency, then radically devaluing that currency all of a sudden. For those that pay, I think its almost stealing to do something like that. And for those that pay in time, well stealing time I suppose or something. Anyway, if this game does this again without compensation, I think it would probably lose alot of players. Who knows how many players were lost because of the first two. The people who are most likely to leave because of this, would probably be those who spent real cash on this game, only to essentially lose their moneys worth.

Flag Post

a new player would see that it costs 700k crystals to upgrade a card and just leave. Now they get a price break and may start playing, same with card packs. When i was getting ready to quit they halved them and i stayed

Flag Post

Yeah, the half price thing helps alot with new players, because even at half price, stuff in this game is expensive. But I am sure other older players felt a bit dejected that this was done without compensation for those who bought at full price of any kind. But sure, they bite their lips, figuratively speaking, and bore with it for the good of the game.

But then there is this 5 level thing, its devaluing impact is even greater, and this change, unlike the half price one, is very controversial, it is clear that alot of people like me, feel this was not a good thing in the first place. Plus we have to deal with the super devalue thing too, kind of hard to bite your lip figuring its for the better of the game this time.

Now if we never get compensation, and more devaluing changes happen in the future, that are equally controversial without compensation, I think players will leave en-mass.

Flag Post

No one told you to buy bosters / crystals. If you think that something is overpriced, write on forum, do not buy, wait for the patch / update.
now :
prices for boosters – OK
cost of common cards upgrade – OK
better cards upgrade – too expensive
elite cards upgrade – terrible!

new player.

Flag Post

better cards upgrade – too expensive
elite cards upgrade – beyond terrible!

fixed.

Flag Post

Yeah, the half price thing helps alot with new players, because even at half price, stuff in this game is expensive. But I am sure other older players felt a bit dejected that this was done without compensation for those who bought at full price of any kind. But sure, they bite their lips, figuratively speaking, and bore with it for the good of the game.

But then there is this 5 level thing, its devaluing impact is even greater, and this change, unlike the half price one, is very controversial, it is clear that alot of people like me, feel this was not a good thing in the first place. Plus we have to deal with the super devalue thing too, kind of hard to bite your lip figuring its for the better of the game this time.

Now if we never get compensation, and more devaluing changes happen in the future, that are equally controversial without compensation, I think players will leave en-mass.

If your favourite restaurant has revised their prices such that your favourite dish is now half off in order to attract new customers, will you stop going there?

If a loyalty card used to require 100 dollars of spending to redeem a free gift, and you like the card and the gift so you’ve redeemed 5 such gifts already, then recently it’s made a revision so that now future redemptions only require 50 dollars, does the company owe it to you to ‘compensate’ you for all the past effort?

Prices change IRL economy all the time, if demand is too low at a certain price, smart companies will drop prices to encourage more people to purchase their product. It’s only because there’s very high transparency and it’s a sudden big change causing you to be upset. Instead of being upset over the effort taken in the past, perhaps you should be pleased that in future, nice things are now easier to get.

All this being said, smart games also reward their older players with loyalty-related prizes, such as limited edition art or other small benefits to make players feel appreciated. CotD’s pet system comes to mind. Edgebee could go a bit of a ways towards player recognition, it is somewhat lacking in that department.

Flag Post

Your analogy is not good. A better one- it would be like buying a home, only to find out that if you ever wish to sell it, its current market value is at best, quarter of what you paid. for it, and that if you had only waited a month or two to buy it, you could have gotten it for alot less too. Now lets extend this analogy and say your houses value keeps on plummeting for random reasons you aren’t aware of, I am sure you would not be a happy customer.

If you think that something is overpriced, write on forum, do not buy, wait for the patch / update

If we knew ahead of time that would be the case, then sure. Should we all not play then, because of patches and updates that might happen?

Flag Post

If you think that something is overpriced, write on forum, do not buy, wait for the patch / update

If we knew ahead of time that would be the case, then sure. Should we all not play then, because of patches and updates that might happen?

Price for boosters and crystals were also significantly higher than those now.
And now, they are still too high (for crystals cards uncommon, rare and epic!).
Boosters prices and crystals for upgrade cards common are OK.
So probably will be patched, but when this fixed, when.

Flag Post

Let’s go with the house analogy. So you buy a home outright and the the home prices drops dramatically. You may not be happy about it being lower in value, but if you enjoy living in it you will keep it, and if you had extra money you may even want to buy more houses since they are so cheap. You wouldn’t expect the person that sold you the house to give you money just cause houses are cheaper now.

Flag Post

Ok, and if the reason the house price dropped was not market pressures, but because of a direct decision of the person that sold you the house?

Also, in the end where the analogy and the game part is, in the analogy of someone selling a house, they have real profits on the line. It doesn’t cost the game developer money to give a bit of compensation for these things. But it might get them money in the end if they keep, rather then drive away, players by being a bit more considerate and compensate them for value (earned by players from time and real money) lost , based on changes to the game.

Also, to listen to players when for example, they tell you we want cards that can be in multiple decks at a time, so that we don’t have to pull decks apart and put them back together over and over.

Flag Post
Originally posted by actuaryal:

Let’s go with the house analogy. So you buy a home outright and the the home prices drops dramatically. You may not be happy about it being lower in value, but if you enjoy living in it you will keep it, and if you had extra money you may even want to buy more houses since they are so cheap. You wouldn’t expect the person that sold you the house to give you money just cause houses are cheaper now.

Well the person that sell you the house have to keep on selling house for a living, the does not sell the house to you only and that is the end of story. He sucks at after sales supports and does not even try living the said house sold to you. Then there is the problem that your house value keep plummeting for random reason.

If he irritate enough old customer, these old customers will warn new customers about him and will have a harder time to get new customer due to bad reputation. If he give some door gift or some good house maintenance then the old customer may be happy enough to introduce friends to him.

When his competitors like guardian cross actually give old customers a gift when introducing new customers, one wonders why this house seller that is punishing this old customer can hope to get more money.

Even if putting all moral value aside, the game developers want to get more money and keep players playing.

Will rewarding the old players with say like 1k token and 100K gems actually reduce their revenue or increase it?

Their are only giving virtual money, which the player cannot refund into real money or use on other competitor games. They make the old players feel appreciated and maybe instill some itch for them to buy token looking how convenient spending token is.

With epic evo costing 5K token, the players will not get so much stronger that they do not need time / money to invest in the game.

Flag Post

I don’t see how your analogy is better at all. The loyalty card analogy I thought through and drew a lot of parallels; you do activity A enough times, you get currency B, you claim prize C at exchange rate D. C cannot be reconverted to B. You repeat as you wish. If rate D becomes halved to E, you’d be happy that you can now get more of prize C at the same rate of doing a that you used to, instead of being upset that new customers can now get C easier than you used to. Heck, you have more of C than they do, why be upset? You’re making yourself unhappy by comparing with others.

What you’ve done is replace a good analogy with a poor one just to try and reinforce your points. The house analogy is a very poor one, because packs and items have no reasonable resale value. In some sense it’s a house you’re never going to sell – I highly doubt you were planning to sell your epics and rares. Your epics and rares are no weaker now, and you cannot sell packs back. There is no ‘value that keeps plummeting’. Your cards have zero (or negligible, if you sell cards) ‘coin’ value once you open the pack, because the game has no trading system. House value is important because property is the single most important investment in the layman’s life. Not here in this game, a single booster is not that big a deal.

You’re also going to buy more packs in future so unless you didn’t realise a price drop actually benefits you too, whereas most people aren’t rich enough to buy more houses.

The only accurate thing about your analogy is that if prices keep dropping regularly, the savvy customer will keep holding his money until prices drop sufficiently and stabilise.

gnostic makes good points about trying to keep customers happy, especially your most loyal ones who spend the most. However do note that edgebee does not OWE it to anyone to compensate you for past expensive prices. Whatever decision they make for player happiness is a commercial or branding decision on their part, and companies are free to make as many poor decisions as they’d like.

If you’re really that unhappy, the best ways to demonstrate this are to stop spending money and/or to leave the game. Unfortunately unless you’re a big spender like gnostic is/was, the Devs aren’t really going to care. They have been very successful in attracting new players with the recent frontpage ad.

tl;dr: Whine with your pocket before whining with your mouth. Money talks.

Flag Post

Juzzie, if money talks, developers are still deaf.

Here is a simple but effective way to reward old players, simply reset all completed rewards, both missions and achievements, for them so they can do them again and get the same reward again.