Nerf to Grim Reaper

119 posts

Flag Post

Recently, Grim Reaper has risen to power. Easily accessible by almost any moderate player for a simple 250 collection, it can be seen in many different decks. Here, I have a proposal to nerf it, while still allowing it to retain its power.

First of all, I do not agree with the idea of making Grim Reaper unique. Many people, including myself, have spent an extra 70k gold on multiples, simply due to its sheer power.

After analyzing the many complaints regarding this card, I have come up with the simple fact, that people are complaining about Grim Reaper because it has fear! I see it everywhere-not enough courage to counter the large amount of fear from GR. By removing fear, Grim Reaper’s power is significantly reduced. I believe that a “fearless” Grim Reaper will not need to be unique, as now you no longer need to have courage in every deck to counter fear.

After removing fear, I think Grim Reaper should get another ability on it, not too strong, but acceptable in certain situations. Here are my suggestions:

1. Remove Grim Reaper’s armor and drop it to 2 cost
2. Buff Grim Reaper to possibly 30 armor and leave it at 3 cost
3. Give it some kind of weakish skill and leave it at 10 armor, such as aggression, 20 courage, 20 demo, or even cautious or entangle. None would be as powerful as fear.

I personally think suggestion 1 would be the best choice overall, no need for complications or possibly making it overpowered. Remove fear/armor, drop down to 2 cost, no unique, problem solved.

Thoughts and comments?

Flag Post

Grim Reaper is currently the 2nd Best Armor in the Game (behind only the laughably OP Vengeful Entity).

I think Grim Reaper should be Unique. Many people have held back from buying a 2nd or 3rd because we know it is so crazy good we will be shocked if it remains as it is. If you have had 2 for a long time, I am sure it has more than made back for you what you spent on it.

I think removing Fear makes is stronger. Right now, if your melee tank is unarmored at least the Fear saves your critical Melee monster from being auto killed. Imagine everyone with 3x Reaper in their deck, every turn would literally be each person rearmoring their melee to prevent the auto kill. Decks would be like 3x Reaper, 3x Invinc Armors, Judge/Tear

Flag Post

Making Grim an equip instead of a 10 armor would make it much much more powerful, so even without fear it would be insanely good on a strong tank or musc. The cost would have to be at least 3 in that case.

I would go for option number 3 if the ability is aggression, but I still think it would need to be mad unique. Anyone that bought multiple Grims to put in their decks knew it was OP at the time, and knew there was a chance it would become unique. Plus, nerffing it will have the same impact on players that have multiple Grims in their decks….they won’t play 3.

There are only 2 solutions:
1) Either make it unique or nerf it to the point it’s not worth playing 3 in a deck
2) Do nothing and eventually all the top decks that have been holding off buying 3 will cave and all top decks will run 3 Grims (the boring option)

Flag Post

Def. dont take away its armor. Then you can’t get rid of it and it will kill your whole deck. plus taking armor away makes its cost go up. I guess from what I am hearing it is fear that is the problem. Realize then instead you are losing your main tank instead of a wingman. So in a way, I feel fear nerfs grim reaper in a way. I love when there is an eagle and RD out because I know my deathstrike is taking the more powerful RD for example.

Funny thing about deathstrike… its also available on reeker who is not unique. Why are people not running 3 reekers? Is it that people dont have it unlocked? I would think with equips and luck vs flying, you could kit it at least a few times.

If fear is replaced. May I suggest drain crystal, resonate, or even silence?

Flag Post

I think it should be limited to one GR per deck.

Removing fear would make it more powerful, since deathstrike would hit the main tank for sure
Removing armor would make it more powerful, since you can’t destroy it with one shoot any more

Flag Post
Originally posted by bmuell01:

Funny thing about deathstrike… its also available on reeker who is not unique. Why are people not running 3 reekers? Is it that people dont have it unlocked? I would think with equips and luck vs flying, you could kit it at least a few times.

Various reasons really. Accessibility is definitely one, another because GR is synergistic with some of the best cards in the game already, (RD BD Musc), some of which don’t have to deal with the flying gamble and don’t need boosts to ensure they can tear through RD5’s 30 shield. Comes in all colours, doesn’t take a precious (melee) creature slot, then 10 armor to absorb the next hit coming to you… in short, GR has a tremendous package going for it, while Reeker does not.

Fear is problematic with GR simply because people don’t usually armor their backrows as much as their melee. It is my opinion that removing Fear is NOT A BUFF for GR as long as the cost does not drop. I don’t even need Deathstrike to be around to know how dangerous it is to play a naked frontliner.

I initially wanted to suggest a nerf to GR by changing Fear with Disease because that’s the obvious way to nerf any card, then I realised how silly that was. So instead it’s a toss-up between Aggression, Thrash 20, Trample 10, Destroy, Demo 10.

imo Silence makes it too much of a must-have cause Silence is nice to carry around anyway, and Cleave, Drain Crystal (you’re almost certain to get that) and Resonate (limits opponent recovery) are a bit too strong with Deathstrike unless the cost of GR goes up.

Making it unique is a no-brainer. Perhaps as time goes on we also need a “1 unique equip per deck” restriction as well.

Flag Post

Removing Fear isnt going to stop people from using Multiple Reapers in their deck. Like Bmuell said, I usually Prefer for an Eagle to be on the field when I equip Reaper so that I 1 shot their tank instead of their support.

Reeker isnt that commonly used because it is only 30 melee, lacks flying, and lacks cleave whereas Reaper can Combo with Fortify, Cleave, Flying High Melee, etc. Also, Reeker is 4 cost for most levels and has low life whereas Reaper is 3 CC and can block a hit for your tank too.

Flag Post

Grim -Fear^^i like it sometimes that fear dosn´t work while courage is arrived…so i can kill the center, but removing fear is a good option cause Armor can handle Grim a way better than at the moment….same for Ent. Ventaty…Armor or Caution are enough to beat explode, and sure Invincible handles it too…so Explode is balanced to Invincible in the Heroic Booster itself.

I think i could agree wirh Grim without Fear, because Fear blows up the hole backrow.

Flag Post

Let’s put resonate 1 or 2 instead of fear and it should be nerf enough, it’s usually out of the play after 1 turn and still it will be a little nerf of crystal cards as it’s so hard to get crown. For me it’s fair exchange.

Flag Post

1 is the best idea?
No, it is the worst idea.
Either you need to kill that monster or disarm to disable the ability of deathstrike. It makes GR even more OP

3 is the best you’ve suggested. Removing fear and increase its CC to 4 for all colour except generic may be one way to nerf it. Besides, increase the threshold to get it can make it not as ‘common’ as today, like having 40% of TOTAL cards to unlock it

Flag Post

Removing fear+increase CC to 4 is a pathetic idea that hasnt been thought out at all, it makes it a weak card that sucks in every situation. I’d further like to add, that fear actually accounts for quite a portion of the cost-removing it will drop its cost. Lastly, “common” cards that are not in master packs are as rare as epics.

@all the removing fear posts
As for removing fear, there are both pros and cons to it. It simply depends on what each person’s deck is based on. My key point to everyone complaining about GRs fear, is that now you imagine GR without fear, you also see terrible consequences.

Flag Post

I disagree to removing fear. Some people bought GR because of FEAR, not of deathstrike. For instance, I just bought my 1st one, but I don’t think I’d still use it instead of other armor options if it had only deathstrike. So I’d be wasting my $ as much as you and others would if it was turned into a unique.
Imho, the card’s design is good, might need only a cost adjustment. How about give it 20 disease to raise cost to 4? If not, then I’d say make it unique :)

Flag Post
Originally posted by irabelo:

I disagree to removing fear. Some people bought GR because of FEAR, not of deathstrike. For instance, I just bought my 1st one, but I don’t think I’d still use it instead of other armor options if it had only deathstrike. So I’d be wasting my $ as much as you and others would if it was turned into a unique.
Imho, the card’s design is good, might need only a cost adjustment. How about give it 20 disease to raise cost to 4? If not, then I’d say make it unique :)

You do realise how derpy-looking disease + deathstrike is right?

I know you bought GR just for fear but lots of other people do use it for this little thing called deathstrike, you know.

Flag Post

3 cost, resonate 2, deathstrike, armor 10 – problem solved. Still good card but less powerful then now because in some situations fear is more significant then deathstrike (not always but it makes this card more multitasking and it’s for sure advantage). All should be happy with this solution.

Flag Post

@weshu Ur idea is acceptable

Flag Post
Originally posted by weshu:

3 cost, resonate 2, deathstrike, armor 10 – problem solved. Still good card but less powerful then now because in some situations fear is more significant then deathstrike (not always but it makes this card more multitasking and it’s for sure advantage). All should be happy with this solution.

I like that idea. However, all of those fear lovers are gonna pop by and complain about how OP GR is without fear. THEN they complain about how OP fear is… = =

And lol, just plain admitting it-the armorless GR idea was what I wanted for swarming, wud make it so much easier :D

Flag Post

3 Cost Resonate 2 makes GR even Stronger than it is now.

Giving it Resonate instead of Fear would Greatly increase the flexibility of the Card. Right now, if u go 1st, u would almost never want to play GR. Give it Resonate 2 and suddenly it is both a great opening hand play as well as the auto kill + armor card. I can’t imagine a card that I could either play Turn 1 to get me free crystals or draw later in the game can use for Auto Kills. Most resonate cards are semi balanced by the fact their power is greatly reduced if u draw them later, with it + Deathstrike that is completely removed.

With Resonate 2 I would so use 3x Reaper.

Flag Post

I would hope that everyone should agree that grim reaper should be unique. I mean it is a judgement equip practically. If assassins blade and destroyers are unique… this definitely fits the bill. So despite people buying more than one (sorry.. make it a different color then) this should really not have an argument. It would actually benefit the game as a whole to make all equips unique. With 4 expansions, there is a plethora of great cards out there. The main reason to have two of the same card in your deck would be to abuse an overpowered combo anyway. Yes I know it would increase your chance to draw it, but many cards have slight variations (trident vs obsidian vs MM). Actually, maybe the answer is to just make all epic equips unique. Having multiple lower level equips does not seem to be the issue.

With that out of the way, is it still OP? does it need a tweak? Carry on…

Kevinke6… perhaps try reeker with shoes of flight in swarms! If you have it unlocked that is…

Flag Post

Resonate 2 for 3 cost is strong ? If it’s your first turn you will sacrifice a card to put ally and grimm reaper instead of use deathstrike later, terrible move. I completely disagree with that, with fear it’s much more multitasking and useful, have you played with resonate cards in your deck ? you should know how rare this ability is useful.

Flag Post

Resonate 2 on Top of Deathstrike + Armor is very strong. If I have 3 Grim Reapers in my deck, I’ll gladly play 1 with Resonate to start the Duel. I will be at 5-9 crystals my next turn if u sac anything, my front row creature will have been armored for protection, and I will have 2 more Grim Reapers + my melee monsters to deal with threats.

Flag Post
Originally posted by JasonJ29:

I think Grim Reaper should be Unique. Many people have held back from buying a 2nd or 3rd because we know it is so crazy good we will be shocked if it remains as it is.

Originally posted by JasonJ29:

Resonate 2 on Top of Deathstrike + Armor is very strong. If I have 3 Grim Reapers in my deck, I’ll gladly play 1 with Resonate to start the Duel. I will be at 5-9 crystals my next turn if u sac anything, my front row creature will have been armored for protection, and I will have 2 more Grim Reapers + my melee monsters to deal with threats.

Wat.

Flag Post

I am talking about if Grim is Left at 3 and if Fear is replaced with Resonate

Flag Post
Originally posted by JuzzieJT:

You do realise how derpy-looking disease + deathstrike is right?

I know you bought GR just for fear but lots of other people do use it for this little thing called deathstrike, you know.

Juzzie, I know it’s kinda ridiculous, but it would be just a solution to increase cost. The same was made to Bait Keeper: it has disease only to increase it’s cost. And i’m not stupid, i didn’t buy it ONLY to get fear, but didn’t do it ONLY to get deathstrike either.

So, I’d say keep fear, and either:
1. Give it some more armor or useless skill to increase cost
2. Make it unique

Flag Post

Give it resonate instead of fear and I’ll be the first to buy 3 for each deck. Wow what a great card that will be, a channeling crown with deathstrike for 2 more cc.

Adding armor to increase cost seem like a fine option. It does seem like the strength of a 4 cost card instead of a 3. The ability to play Grim on a 3 card monster turn one means the first player can never feel safe playing any bare monster turn 1. There are a lot less 2 card monsters to put a 4 cost Grim on turn one.

Flag Post

Juzzie, I know it’s kinda ridiculous, but it would be just a solution to increase cost. The same was made to Bait Keeper: it has disease only to increase it’s cost. And i’m not stupid, i didn’t buy it ONLY to get fear, but didn’t do it ONLY to get deathstrike either.

So, I’d say keep fear, and either:
1. Give it some more armor or useless skill to increase cost
2. Make it unique

Mmhmm. Why not both? I was under the impression that making it unique was something that everyone agreed on, no idea why people are still running the “still so strong if I use 3” argument… surely any consideration of the card at the very least assumes that it’s going to be made unique?

Then on top of that, despite a unique status it still looks like a must-have, meaning everyone who could would be running 1. (much like old Judge) I personally see 3 solutions to making that single GR less of a must-have, both discussed above and novel:
1. Increase cost. Like ira said, add useless ability (Maybe Aggression or 20 break instead? Slightly less utterly useless than Disease imo) and/or increase armor (up to 30).
2. Nerf card. Take away Fear and replace it with something else to make the card directly weaker. People here seem to like resonate, which seems fine by me despite the lack of flavour. I’d rather Resonate 1 than 2 though.
3. Follow Unique Usables. Make unique equips 1-per-deck only, so it’s either this or Vengeful. Older cards like Destros and Assassin’s Blade whom some people don’t even consider running 1 of should be taken off Unique.