Changes to Duels - Opponent Selection

22 posts

Flag Post

Opponent selection has been changed.

Not the position, but the league you are currently in and the deck strength decides which enemies you’ll have to face. This will not only bring more diversity to duels, but also prevent Silver League participants having to face epic decks. Furthermore, fighting easy and hard should now really make a difference in difficulty.

So if you duel, you will probably have faced many new opponents.

We are very interested in your opinion on that change. Do you like it? Are fights now harder? Easier? More/less interesting?

Flag Post

I thought they were easier today. I’m in the platinum and it’s the first time I was able to win them all on hard.
I thought the decks I faced had slightly weaker cards. Hard seemed more like how fair or easy should be.

Flag Post

i agree with msr. I m in Diamond and the “Hard” battles wre pretty easy. i didnt run into Kuat/Valk/Callum once.. not complaining but looking at the leaderboard, it seems like everyone won at least 75% of their hard fights

Flag Post

It must be based on your stats/deck, because I always encounter them now on hard :-)

Flag Post

So if i run a weak deck in diamond, I get to play weaker decks and score higher than you everyday? While i happen to LIKE that…it’s not fair lmao. not to mention people will catch on and start running weak/cheap crystal decks that are versatile just to be able to play weak decks

Flag Post

Not quite how it works :)

Flag Post

Have the AI start with +1, +3, or +5 extra crystals.

Flag Post

WOW would that change to defense deck i put together…

Flag Post

Honestly, I didn’t really like the changes.

EVERYONE in the silver league is getting 100% of wins. The boards ALWAYS have 5 winners with 145 points.

I don’t usually duel, so my deck is pretty good for the silver league, but I don’t think that is everyone’s case.

If you are in the silver league and choose to fight the Hard battles, you should face at least some rare cards, and right now the best card I had to face was a yeti level 2.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Lamatiel:

Not quite how it works :)

it’s a good start, please explain more detail to us.

Flag Post

Nexus: Maybe later.

Overall consensus seems to be that duels right now are too easy. That will probably be changed then to be a bit more challenging with the next update.

Flag Post

If you want to balance out duals make it so that its impossible (or very hard) to fight Kuat or valkerie. I mean its not like its possible to win against them anyway and it makes people rely on luck to not get them. I know this may be out there, as how can you just not fight 2 people? But you have to consider that kuat has 3 lvl 3 epics 3 epic equipment and 3 lvl 3 rares no one is going to have a deck that can match them. (unless you spend hundreds or maybe even thousands of dollars) At most you may get 1 win out of 10 based of chance skills like fly or entangle meaning that even choosing hard I shouldn’t run into kaut or valkerie every 5 fights with only 1 epic and a few rares in my deck. (example odds may be higher or lower) Also could you roughly explain how a decks strength is determined? Is it by card rank/level (such as card token price), usefulness of each card (how many are currently being used by players), or how well you use the deck against others (a deck that has a higher win/lose ratio is stronger)?

Flag Post

Haven’t paid much attention, but I’m at #50 and playing on fair and the hardest opponents seem to have only level 1 cards. Lower leagues don’t have very good leveled cards maybe.

Flag Post

Well … duels have been changed. Hard in Diamond+ should be a little more difficult now. The new Expert difficulty even more so. What are your experiences?

Flag Post

I like the new duels match ups. I’m placed against much harder opponents now. There are not 5 players at max points. Going 20/20 in duels is much harder now and shows diversity in the top 5.

Now for the negative; I feel the Expert level duel is pretty null up in diamond league. It looks to me that the first few places every day(including myself) run up through hard level duels. The difficultly of these are just hard enough that no-one has yet gotten 140 points since the update(which would be 20/20 duels at +4 each plus the bonuses) which shows that you don’t need the expert level duels at all to have some variance in the top 5.

I feel that if the decks improve even more in the higher leagues then the Expert option will become even more useless. I’m all for the added difficulty but so far it seems like it’s so much harder that it’s not worth the risk. There’s just so little chance it will pay off when playing against players that went 17/20 or better at +4 each. You have a better chance of going 17/20 or better yourself at +4 then going 15/20.

Yes it’s supposed to be harder but my point is difficulty offers higher rewards, but there’s a point where the difficulty causes the safe route to almost guarantee the higher rewards.

It’s just not being used by the players on the leader board.

Flag Post

honestly daily duels are useless since there is always 5 players unreachable with 145 point even if i beat all matchs on expert .

Flag Post

Yeah, thats why I never play duels.

Flag Post

This is for Elite, I am unsure how the other leagues look/feel. About 6 weeks ago, some people in elite complained about the lack of opponents/playing same decks everyday. This was true as there were only 5-6 decks in elite. A fix was implemented to give elite players more variety. That fix is now outdated. With many decks in elite now, why not switch to a straight up “any elite deck” random generator? everyone in elite could play any other elite deck. there are plenty of decks for variety now.

My reasons for this are;

-currenlty everyone in elite plays 10 duels against “not worthy” opponents. the “deck strength” calculator is broken. I play at least 10-12 decks every day that are not near “elite level”

-when the program picks an elite deck, it picks a deck within 2 or 3 of your position. of the 8 decks left for me to play 3 or the deck directly above me and 5 are the 3 decks directly below me. This brings about two negative factors;

- Once again, variety suffers, when there is no reason for it. plenty of elite decks now.

- the deck in slot 4 must always play decks 2,3,5 and 6 while the deck that just moved into elite plays deck 34,36,37. this is unfair. elite is elite. imho, when you make it to elite, you should be forced to play every elite deck, not the bottom 3 in the league.

Just asking for an update due to the current number of decks in elite. thanks again for the original tweak, as it was appropriate with only 5 decks in elite many weeks ago.

Flag Post

i agree wildwest’s saying.
it’s not interesting always meet wildwest ,pfuel , operacija in duel everyday .

Flag Post

Are we the ONLY two that this is happening to?? Tonight i fought Operacija 3 times, bladejay 3 times, justanewhand 3 times, pfuel 3 times, swordbloodfxs twice. FOURTEEN of my duels were against the SAME FIVE DECKS i have fought everyday for the last 6 weeks running. every day. please…im begging you…change SOMETHING.

Flag Post

I completely agree with Wildwest….the very top duel decks have much harder matches then the decks towards the bottom of the elite league. Now that there are 50+ people in the elite league, all elite duels should be random matches with other elite decks. Luckily in the mean time I’ll clean up by being at the bottom of the elite league :)

Flag Post

Just to answer wildwest, nope it happened to me too. i usually encountered the same few decks for duels,yours,justanewhand,pfuel,opera etc. Hoping for a change from the developer but i doubt they will respond quickly.