Guide for New Players

11 posts

Flag Post

I’m enjoying playing Wild West Town, so I thought – hey, why not give back to the community some. So, here’s my guide for players (not just new ones, even older ones might find a few tricks here).

Before we begin, some thread rules – I would prefer people not post anything here except corrections, and if you do post a correction, I will add it to the guide with credit. Then PLEASE delete your post – this is good thread etiquette anyway.

Finally, I’m not covering everything – especially not every quest, as I didn’t document the early ones. Sorry, this is a not-for-profit work. It is a work-in-progress, so be patient.

Flag Post

Part 1: Resources

In Wild West Town (WWT), there are a few basic resources that everyone has, wants, and needs. In no particular order, they are:

1. Energy
Energy is the most obvious, and probably the most vital resource you have. As of this writing, you get one energy (EN) per four minutes, up to your maximum allowed. Energy is required to do mostly everything, with some very key exceptions. Primarily:
Harvesting Crops
Harvesting from Buildings (we’ll discuss this more later)
Feeding Animals
Digging the Ground
Watering Trees/Harvesting Trees
Most quests also add actions that will sap your energy. There are ways to restore EN other than waiting, but this is the key restriction on your activity. NOTE: Watering and planting crops does NOT require energy. And it gives XP (as well as some other things).

2. Gold
Gold is the in-game non-special currency for WWT, which means it is easy to get, and easy to spend. Gold comes from harvesting crops, feeding animals, collecting bounties (‘harvesting’ from the various Sheriff’s Offices), and selling things. Everything except premium items (which require banknotes) generally costs gold. Gold is also obtained from clearing debris and digging in the ground.

3. Bank Notes
Bank Notes are the special, or premium, currency for WWT. Premium items are purchased with bank notes, and they can also be used to skip quest/building requirements (such as hiring people for your barn). You can get at least one a day if you build a Bank in your town (I’ve gotten 2, once.) Also, if you play daily, bank notes are usually the weekly grand prize.

4. Oil
Oil is perhaps a more limiting resource than even gold. Most crops, and many animals, as well as several buildings all require oil in their purchase (or construction). Oil can most obviously be obtained from the Oil Derrick, but digging in the ground (even in the other settlements) works, and lemon trees also noticeably give oil when harvested, and can be obtained via gift. Plum trees are even better (20 Oil/2 days), but they are rather pricey. I picked mine up when they were on special. There’s another way to get oil, too, which will be discussed later.

5. Supplies
Supplies are a resource used for many things, and are convertible into energy. You can buy 20 EN from the Premium tab in the marketplace for 270 Supplies (the best value, and the only one you should buy.) Supplies can be obtained from digging, harvesting certain crops, feeding certain animals (especially the buffalo), and clearing debris.

6. Water
Water is a special case. Unlike other resources, water can be sold (25G per). It is used in many quests, and is an ingredient too. You do NOT need water to water your crops. This is, um, special water. Yeah. You get water from the well.

Flag Post

General Concepts:
Of course, the main goal in the game is to have fun. Don’t forget that – if you’re not having fun, you’re clearly doing something wrong.

Okay, that having been said, you want to grow your town, accumulate resources, and unlock, well, unlockables. To do this, you need to grow crops, raise animals, build buildings, and complete quests.

Also, this game actively encourages cooperation between players. It is NOT a competition. EVERYTHING you can do to help neighbors helps you and costs you nothing but the effort of clicking. So, if you share your quest accomplishments, level ups, building completions, cooking meals, etc., you do NOT lose anything. And people are more likely to give you things in return. I’ll go into more detail in a later post.

Flag Post

Being Neighborly:
One of the most important things in the game is being a good neighbor. Seriously. It’s a quest requirement. So here’s how to be a good neighbor:

1. Become people’s neighbor.
An obvious point, but an important one. For example, here’s my neighbor link. (At least it might be current. Links are kinda wonky.) You want neighbors. Your neighbors display on the bottom of your screen.

2. Use your 5 neighbor actions per day.
Every day, you are allowed 5 actions in each and every neighbor’s town. You are at the least rewarded 10 gold per action; however, you also will receive EN (up to a daily maximum of 30), supplies, and XP. So do it!

Specifically, you want to know if your neighbor looks like they are either 1) short of EN or 2) not. Why the difference? Well … here’s a list of things you can do for your neighbors:

1. Restore withered crops*
  2. Groom animals*
  3. Tend to crops or trees*
  4. Harvest crops or trees
  5. Feed animals
  6. Clear debris
  7. Water crops or trees

This is generally the order in which you should do them, too. Why? Anything marked with a * is something ONLY a neighbor can do. Yes, you can restored withered crops with a meal, but that is expensive. Also, the other two marked with a * CREATES supplies, oil, XP, and gold, which is something again that a player cannot do for themselves. However, if a player is low on EN, the doing 4-6 will help ease that burden some. NEVER do 7 unless there is nothing else to do. 7 costs no EN.

Performing neighbor tasks takes no EN. After you get your 30 EN, you only get the gold reward (but hey, 50 G never hurt anyone).

If your neighbor looks like they have all the resources they need, but have a lot of undone tasks, then you should do items 4 and 5. Some people have truly staggering crop fields (often they are wither protected, too), but a little help in harvesting never hurts.

3. Check the forums.
A LOT of this game involves making and clicking on links. Obviously, you are here reading this, so that is a good first step. Please USE the stickied threads for ‘routine’ requests (such as help in buildings, resources you need, etc.) Also, a pet peeve, please edit and/or delete obsolete posts. It’s that ‘edit post’ thing right next to your avatar picture. If you think to yourself “hey, I hate wading through all these old pages of expired links”, then don’t be a part of the problem. One post in the sticky threads will do the trick. Don’t ‘bump’ or double-post either, it’s bad form, and I for one tend to NOT click on such posts.

Generally, it is nice to include return gift links if you are asking for a gift. Again, it costs you nothing but your effort, and it’s far more likely to attract people clicking on your link. To generate the link urls, go to your Gift Shop in town.

Flag Post

Thought I’d sticky this before it got swamped by ‘spam’ on the main forum.

Flag Post

Today, we’ll start talking about some of the basic types of things you can do in this game. Without further ado, here is:

Fundamental Economic Activity Type 1 (FEAT 1): Sod-busting

Sod-busting is available at any time in the game. It is an active, energy intensive FEAT, which means you will be spending lots of actual playtime doing it (as opposed to something that needs a lot of real life time and little game time, such as raising trees). Primarily, there are two types of sod-busting: digging, which nets Oil (0, 2, or 10), Gold, and Supplies, and Clearing, which nets Gold, XP, and Supplies. Digging has different returns in the settlements versus your main town.

Both activities are relatively inefficient in producing resources, but are at times needed for quests. If you have energy to burn, and are short of gold, then the nice thing about this FEAT is that it is always free.

Flag Post

FEAT 2: Growing Crops

This is one of the two major FEATS (the other being Raising Livestock) which comprise the bulk of what you will be doing in the game. From the marketplace, you purchase crops and place them in your town, settlement, or greenhouses (or equivalent). There are several useful subdivisions of crops:

1. Gold Only Crops
  2. Gold and Oil Crops
  3. Premium Crops
  4. Trees

Also, many crops are now settlement-locked; you must unlock a particular settlement to be able to grow them. For example, you can only grow Maize once you have reached the Arctic.

In general, to maximize crop effectiveness, you need to log in often (to get XP from watering them, which does NOT require energy!). Crops take a long time to grow in many cases, and little energy – 1 to plant, 1 to harvest.

Let us discuss each type in turn.

1. Gold Only Crops
These are extremely useful crops. They require nothing but time, Gold (which is plentiful), and space. The ‘best’ crop in this category is Wheat, which takes 4 hours to grow. Sadly, PW Wheat is only used in one recipe – which age crops 2 days – a useful one, which we will discuss below.

Flag Post

FEAT 3: Raising Livestock
WIP This post is reserving space so the guide is in order. Sorry, I’m skipping to something more people will be interested in – more energy!

Flag Post

FEAT 4: Buildings

There are several classes of buildings which require EN (1) to collect resources from, and whose main purpose is to produce said resources.

Bank – this building is very special, as it is the only way to get bank notes for free. You usually get 1, but I’ve gotten 2 once. You can and should collect once per day.

Sheriff’s Office/Arctic Sheriff’s Office – this building gives somewhere between 40 and 100 gold – 4-5 ‘bars’ in the 10-20 range. That’s not too bad – it’s about the same as tobacco, profit wise, but there’s no XP nor can you get PW Tobacco and supplies. However, gold is gold, and you can use it to get supplies and oil (eventually I really will write down the trick to converting gold to XP/oil/supplies). It refreshes fairly often, too, every 1 hour and 11 minutes.

Well – Much like the bank, this is special. The well is the only source of ‘special’ water (i.e., potable water, the kind you drink and cook with). Many quests require water, and it’s a major ingredient in the +6 EN teas.

Oil Derrick – Perhaps the second most useful building, the oil derrick produces a plethora (I think it is about the same as the Sheriff’s Office, 4-5 ‘drops’ of 10-20 oil each) of oil.

Flag Post

Maximizing Your Resources:
It almost goes without saying that you will want to maximize your resources. Here, I will discuss how to get the most of each of the key resources discussed earlier in turn.

Energy:
Obviously, you get your 1 EN per 4 minutes. But that’s really barely enough? How do you get more?

1. Buy 20 EN for 270 supplies.
This is probably the method you will use the most. It can be used any time, as often as you can afford it. Of course, this means you’ll be maximizing your supplies (which I’ll cover in detail later), but the simplest way to do that is raise Buffaloes (80 supplies!).

2. Cook.
There are several recipes that restore energy:
Main Town:
a. 2 Carrots, 1 Milk, 1 Eggs (Full EN)
b. 3 Hops, 5 Tobacco, 1 Bison Steak (2x Full EN)
Arctic:
c. 4 Radish, 2 Milk, 4 Tomatoes (Full EN)
d. 8 Water, 3 Cranberries (6 EN)
Amazon:
e. 2 Mango, 2 Milk, 4 Radish (Full EN)
f. 8 Water, 3 Mango (6 EN)
As of this writing, the recipes in Africa seem to be the same as the Amazon, but of course since it is a different cook-area, it has separate timers. I expect this to change.

The most efficient meal is the main town full EN restoration – Chickens are cheap, so eggs should be plentiful. Carrots only take gold to buy, so they are again easy to get if you need them. The Milk is harder – Cows take a good deal of oil to buy, and they have long harvest times. The 2x EN restore meal is nice, too, but Hops and Tobacco take oil to purchase. Bison Steaks are a bit easier, as you will want as many buffaloes as you can buy anyway (for supplies).

There are combinations of meals, too, that are strong. Using the feed animals again meal can get you extra supplies, if you have many buffaloes, for example.

3. Livestock
There are certain animals that give energy when fed. The one that requires no bank notes to buy is the Horse, which gives a net +1 EN. Goats, cats, and others give larger amounts of EN when fed. Recent analysis of livestock also indicates that if you take the supplies and buy EN, the Yak and Buffalo are net positive EN.

4. Neighbor actions
We’ve talked about this above, but there’s 30 EN for the taking if you help your neighbors.

Flag Post

Hi all, just thought I’d chip in with some information about letting your neighbours help you.

When someone helps you, they’re helping with a particular thing rather than performing a particular action. This means that if they help with crops and the crops are dry, they’ll be watering. If the crops are watered, they’ll be tending. If the crops are ready, they’ll be harvesting.

Therefore, you should always water all your crops (which costs you no energy) before accepting help from any neighbours so that they’ll be tending instead of watering. If you have the energy spare, you should also feed your livestock before accepting help to have your neighbours groom instead of feed. You shouldn’t harvest any crops before accepting help, though — if someone was helping with a crop that’s no longer there, the help is wasted.

When I help people, I prefer to feed livestock unless there’s something more important to do (like reviving withered crops or harvesting huge fields before they hit their sell-by date). This lets the person I’m helping either feed their livestock first and get the free grooming resources or have me feed their livestock and save the energy.

Hope this helps you make better use of your neighbours’ efforts.