How much the map Abandoned Plant should be worth? [Poll] page 2

32 posts

Flag Post

Red Crucible 2 also has the map unlocks now.

Flag Post
Originally posted by f2004w:

You guys know we will eventually have to make money in one way or another in order to be able to bring content out to you faster (It hard to do everything for free). Heck, if I get paid for the maps, and it goes well, I would quit my other jobs and go full time here.

All I am asking is you to choose how much you would pay for this map if you were planning to purchase this map. This is only to see what our players’ feedback on the this map base on your votes and to hear your opinions.

To vote click the poll below

Abandoned Plant Map

Flag Post

I did not ignore the results of the poll, if you average the cost through votes ( More = $2) and turns out the average is $1. We would be selling less than that. Also as I mentioned they can be unlocked for free without paying by completing tasks. Use the game called Platform Racing is a simplified example of unlocking maps.

So either you don’t know math or you just chose a price point at random. The rest of this post is intended to enlighten you, assuming the former.

If the poll actually conveyed useful information you could obtain a useful price point, e.g. by employing simple integration or discretized summations at various price points. For example, if the data is to be believed, if you set the price at $0.10 and receive k dollars, then setting it at $0.20 will yield 2 * 0.69 * k dollars, setting it at $0.60 will yield 6 * 0.6 * k dollars, setting it at $1 will yield 10 * 0.57 * k dollars, setting it at $1.5 will yield 15 * 0.46 * k dollars, etc. So, setting the cost of one map to $1.5 would yield about twice the profit as setting it to $0.60.

That said, the poll probably isn’t very accurate given that so few people have taken part in it, you can’t tell who (payers or non-payers) have taken part in it, etc. And there are other factors to consider that I’m sure you guys don’t take into account due to the negative reception that’s usually received when purported improvements are made.

A lot of devs do silly things that are not appreciated by the community nor profitable. You’re free to charge for maps. I’m just letting you know you’re digging yourself a hole.

Flag Post
Originally posted by slixtrix:

Why am I here? Bye.

Why ARE you here?

Flag Post

I personally think that charging for maps aren’t profitable. As you’ve said, it can be achieved by doing some tasks, so I don’t think people are going to pay for it. Unless you make the tasks very hard and people will going to start calling this game as P2W and you will eventually lose your player base. So either way, you aren’t going to get money.

IMO, instead of charging maps. Place ads, make “Premium skins”, guns customization, etc. But never make it P2W.

Flag Post

The map is definitely awesome.

Having said that, would I pay any money towards it? No.
Why? It’s not because I want to stooge you on the time and effort you put towards it, but because any person can make a map for this game. There is a guide. There are simple tools that are well documented to help you.

So should you charge people for the most basic and integral part of this game – obviously not.

A lot of devs do silly things that are not appreciated by the community nor profitable.

This is the issue here.

The fact is that time and time again the community is all but totally ignored and/or not consulted. The end result being updates that contain things that are ill-conceived and ill-implemented combined with being either not tested or the testers being so poor at their job idiotic ‘features’ like bullet speed become canon.

Being able to unlock things over time with points or exp or some other mechanism is a tried and tested method that keeps the free players from leaving(mostly). Being able to charge for content so that players may access it quicker is also tried and tested.

Consider that if you were to charge for a map, it would have to be a bloody brilliant map. I’m talking super seriously amazing. Like a map that has the popularity of Dust 2.

The poll contains too few data points to be of any particular use right now. If you wanted proper data perhaps you could add a single-time popup when the map loads that asks the question of users, as a lot of your player base does not visit these forums.

The only content I would be willing to part with my cash for would be gun customization and maybe a really awesome game mode that doesn’t currently exist. I don’t use skins because trying to hunt down a skeleton is annoying.

Gun customization would have to be something like extra ammo in my clip or a more accurate barrel/sight etc. But that will end up making this game largely disadvantageous to free players if you don’t get the exp/reward system balanced properly.

For example if there is a customization to improve the reload speed of my AWP, I don’t want to have to play continuously for 6 months just to earn it.

Flag Post

I agree!

Why am I here? Bye.

Why ARE you here?

It’s a hard question. I don’t know. Maybe I enjoy conversing with you.