Sniping 101

14 posts

Flag Post

The AWP is undoubtedly the most destructive weapon in CS Portable. As such, 90% of maps have at least one guy strolling around with a sniper rifle. Some maps, like snipertowers or Sniper Duel, require you to have an AWP to survive for more than 3 seconds. Some, like rats_v6 or battlefield, are good spots for sniping, though you can still do moderately well with a Deagle or AR.

Regardless, the fact remains that lots of maps feature sniping spots and such. Learning how to use the AWP is crucial to mastering the game. It’s the hardest to learn, but the most rewarding.

On more practical terms, the top-tier clans’ recruitment matches often are in the format of “first 25 kills assault rifles, next 25 kills sniper rifles”, so learning how to snipe is useful to join top clans.

This guide does not claim to turn a complete newbie into a rank 1 methodical sniping machine. However, if you follow this guide I see no reason why you shouldn’t consistently get a positive K/D. Remember it’s a guide. I’ll teach you that camping is not a good idea, but in certain situations(particularly on the toystory map) camping can be very useful.

And now, without further ado, let’s begin.

Mouse Sensitivity
Mouse sensitivity is not nearly as important as some would have you believe. However, it’s still crucial for success in sniping. I find slightly more sensitive than default works well for me, but you should experiment with different sensitivities and find your own “magic number”.

Be warned. Too low a sensitivity may mean that your sniper rifle is unable to shoot effectively at fast moving targets. This is more common than you might think, as people moving across surfaces ripe for sniping often equip knife to move faster. Too high a sensitivity and you might “overshoot” your target, shoot the air next to your target instead of at him.

Physical Surroundings
This is not the most important of factors in the “who is the best sniper” competition. Still, between two snipers of the same skill, whoever is more comfortable at their computer will usually win.

Have a good internet connection-no point playing CSP on a laggy connection. Your mouse should be good and sturdy, as should your keyboard(especially the 1, 2, 3, W, A, S and D keys). The mousepad should be smooth and padded. Thick, but not too thick. The speakers should be clear, though some prefer to turn the sound off as the new sounds are grating to the ears and throw you off your aim.

Again, don’t buy a new router just because you lag now and then. It’s not that important. I’ve gotten a gold medal with 7 deaths on a 12 player TDM snipertowers on a computer with no sound, that is 3 years old and with a folded and taped sheet of newspaper as a mousepad. Skill is everything.

Get Money!
Sniper rifles are the most expensive weapons in the game. Each AWP costs $600, which, though a laughably small expense for experienced players, can be quite a pinch on the wallet for new players(which this guide is aimed at).

Some tips to conserve money:use your Deagle instead of buying weapons. You’ll be surprised how many weapons you can pick up, and how effective your Deagle is. A Deagle can be a mini-sniper in its own right, especially on maps that don’t focus entirely on AWP like Lego or Stalker.

Another way to get a lot of cash REALLY fast is to go Singleplayer and create a map on Survival. I suggest football_v3. Set the map to either Monsters only or Fatties only(you choose, I prefer Monsters). Set your guns to unlimited ammo and quick reload.

Then, lower the stats of the Monsters/Fatties to the lowest amount allowed by the game. You get 10 dollars for every bot kill, regardless of how weak the bots are. However, remember to set their spawn rate to as high as possible. Scatter medkits around the map and increase the player health for easier farming. Finally, get an assault rifle; either AK47 or M4. If you don’t have an assault rifle, spawn a couple of terrorists and take them down with Deagle until one of them drops an AR.

Now you are ready to enter the game. Spawn and use your fast-reload, unlimited-ammo assault rifle to knife through the zombies. Just stand there and fire at the large horde. If you’re a good grenadier, a well-placed grenade can take out lots of zombies-I’ve actually gotten 17 zombie kills from one nade. Remember a grenade costs $50, so you have to be confident you can take out at least six zombies with that grenade or it’s wasted.

If you have $10000 or more(it’s really not that hard to achieve if you use my method; you can get like $3000 in five minutes), then you have enough cash to start sniping.

Stop Camping
Don’t camp. If you camp, many bad things will happen to you. You might get flanked or out-sniped. People know your location through kill-cam so they can blind you with a flash grenade and move in for the kill or take you out directly with an explosive one. There is nothing more unpleasant than sitting snug as a bug in a rug in your camp and then having the wrong end of an AK47 shoved down your throat without warning.

Instead, keep moving. Camping is called “hard scoping”, while stopping for a few seconds to land a shot and then moving on to the next spot, quickscoping and so on is called “soft scoping”. If you follow my advice on quickscoping and “knowing thy map” in the next two sections, you’ll know how to quickly cycle through the good sniping spots in the map.

Note that spot scoping is perfectly fine. Spot scoping refers to going to a particularly obscure, hard to aim at or otherwise particularly good sniping spot in the map and camping there for much longer than a soft scoper would. This is acceptable, because though all sniping spots are equal, some spots are more equal than others.

However, please remember this is spot scoping, not camping. After you kill one or two enemies from that position, they’ll be on the lookout and alert from possible shots from there, so do move to the next viable location. And only spot scope in genuinely good sniping positions, like for example on the little platform above a stack of crates in cs_battlefield.

And don’t spot scope all the time. Do it once in a while. Usually each map has only a couple of good spot scoping places, so maybe once every two or three minutes you’ll return to the same place. This means that people who are wary of snipers from there will shoot you, so there are risks to this method.

Quickscoping
Quickscoping refers to the art of quickly zooming in on an enemy, usually at close range, and then instantly killing him with a single fatal shot. You have to practice your reflexes for this one.

I suggest practicing quickscoping on terrorists and kamikazes in survival mode. They’re relatively harmless(due to their stupidity) so there’s not much chance of you getting killed.

Adjust your mouse sensitivity to be slightly more sensitive if you’re having problems quickscoping. Some people just can’t quickscope. It’s genetic or something. If you’re one of those people, don’t try and try in vain. Just give it up; quickscoping can be very useful, but not at the expense of frustration and misery.

Know Thy Map
Seriously, know your map well. This is very important. Not only is it crucial to identify possible spot scoping locations, you also need to know the tricks on the map. For example, if you hop from can to can when traversing down the kitchen drawers in rats_v6, you’ll get down the drawers twice as fast. And there’s a place in de_dust2, where if third person view and shoot through walls are on, a clever player with an AR can get lots of kills safely.

This will come with experience and watching other players through kill-cam, but also, try to play the same maps repeatedly. I play rats, de_dust and battlefield much more than awp_lego, q3dm or Sniper Duel. That’s why I get lots of gold medals in the former, but not the latter.

Sniping Myths
Common assumptions made by newbies are:

-The High Ground is good.
-Camping is good.
-Nobody will bother to flank me if I camp.
-If I can’t see anybody when sniping, it doesn’t mean the players are hiding or flanking me.
-I don’t need to worry in close-range locations if I have an AWP instead of an AR.
-I can quickscope well.
-I can use an AWP in all maps.

Please do not make these mistakes. Just don’t.

Finis
Hope you have fun and…

Happy sniping!

Flag Post

Great guide, congrats! ^^

Flag Post

My only complaint is the lag section.

I consistently play with 300+ ping and it has it’s own benefits.

Flag Post

As a rank 1 methodical sniping machine I’m happy to see this guide for other players. I’ll give you some feedback on the topics you picked and i will add some of my own:

Mouse Sensitivity
A good all round mouse sensitivity would allow you to turn a minimal 360 degrees without lifting your mouse. This is so you won’t waste time turning around when you suspect someone is behind you. If your mouse has dpi settings, get the highest one and change windows and game sensitivity around that.

Physical Surroundings
Be comfy, happy and win :P. Pick the server closest to your physical location, since this will likely have the best ping, so as little lag as possible. A high ping results in more draws. this is only advantageous if your KD is below 1.

Sounds
Sounds are really really useful if you use stereo sound. You can hear the enemies footsteps and listen where they are coming from. Gunshots reveal enemy locations.

Don’t Get Money!
You are still able to buy weapons with $0 in your account, so why bother farming?

quickscoping
All you need to know is how to put the middle of the screen on your enemy and press the mousse buttons in quick succession.

Secondary weapons
Use the deagle for medium range and after missing a shot. Switch to knife instead if the enemy is in stab range instead. Flashes are a great way of scouting and killing pursuers, since you can tell by money gained how many enemies you flashed, you can decide to rush in with deagle or throwing your grenade in their general direction. I can’t seem to use smoke grenade to my advantage so i don’t use them.

Knowing The Map
This is the main factor dividing most good players from the bad players. Explore the maps: know how to maneuver without fall damage , how not be be spotted, know how much time people need to get to certain locations and abuse that with for example rushing to an ambush or quickly picking a few off before falling back. (a rundown for Parkour is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBXoHlXCPFs ). Have a plan when moving away from spawn, and change that plan depending on what the enemy does. With this mindset i had two matches on classic Harbour where i went 50-2. For newer players it’s advisable to be unpredictable since outplaying an opponent straight up every time might be a lot harder when surprise is easier and more effective.

Sever Settings
Server settings drastically alter game play, always look at the server setting before you auto-assign into the action. Settings like ‘enable body parts’ make enemies harder to kill, so go for headshots. When shoot through walls is on, consider picking up an AR and spray at walls people are hiding behind. I really dislike 3rd person view, so i won’t even bother to join the game when it’s on. It can be heavily abused especially when shoot through walls is also on. When run is enabled use it to rush to locations faster and when dueling for extra speed. Random spawns are random, thus less skill and planning.

Sniping Facts/Hints(AKA my opinion :P)

-High ground is high risk, high reward. When pulled of correctly it can lead to many kills.
-Camping/Hardscoping is effective as long you know you’re save and know the whereabouts of the enemies.
-Flank or get flanked.
-When fighting close range, quickscope first. If you miss pull out your deagle an try to kill them with it instead.
-I can use AWP effectively in more than 90% of the maps i play.

Flag Post

There is nothing tactical or skillful to be learnt from STW mode.

It is basically the most noobie mode that is available in this game. Couple this with 3rd person and you have no real legitimate reason to consider yourself a proper or effective player if you favour this combo.

My sensitivity is no where near enough to be able to to do a full 360 in a single action. In fact if I can pull off 35 degrees without my mouse either hitting my laptop or falling off the table I would be utterly shocked.

Sounds are useful, but ultimately not entirely accurate. Usually I play with music on and I can manage well enough without it to still make top 3.

Deagle is best for all encounters that aren’t sniping. Especially now, since version e un-nerfed it. Knife is best for speed and height of jump-shots.

Flag Post

lukie, how did you manage to do some really high jumps in your parkour video? Was space mod on or something?

Flag Post
helltank

The match was custom, he had run speed increased as well as lots of practice.

Flag Post

We should have a 1 on 1 sniper match sometimes.
141-Regret

Flag Post

CSRegret, sure.

Also one more tip-to decrease the time between one sniper shot and another, equip a knife, then equip sniper again.

Example:there are two enemies on a ledge. You want to take them out without waiting 3 seconds between shots. You shoot the first enemy, tap the 3 key then the 1 key VERY quickly and then take out the second one.

Flag Post
Originally posted by lukie01:

As a rank 1 methodical sniping machine I’m happy to see this guide for other players. I’ll give you some feedback on the topics you picked and i will add some of my own:

Mouse Sensitivity
A good all round mouse sensitivity would allow you to turn a minimal 360 degrees without lifting your mouse. This is so you won’t waste time turning around when you suspect someone is behind you. If your mouse has dpi settings, get the highest one and change windows and game sensitivity around that.

Physical Surroundings
Be comfy, happy and win :P. Pick the server closest to your physical location, since this will likely have the best ping, so as little lag as possible. A high ping results in more draws. this is only advantageous if your KD is below 1.

Sounds
Sounds are really really useful if you use stereo sound. You can hear the enemies footsteps and listen where they are coming from. Gunshots reveal enemy locations.

Don’t Get Money!
You are still able to buy weapons with $0 in your account, so why bother farming?

quickscoping
All you need to know is how to put the middle of the screen on your enemy and press the mousse buttons in quick succession.

Secondary weapons
Use the deagle for medium range and after missing a shot. Switch to knife instead if the enemy is in stab range instead. Flashes are a great way of scouting and killing pursuers, since you can tell by money gained how many enemies you flashed, you can decide to rush in with deagle or throwing your grenade in their general direction. I can’t seem to use smoke grenade to my advantage so i don’t use them.

Knowing The Map
This is the main factor dividing most good players from the bad players. Explore the maps: know how to maneuver without fall damage , how not be be spotted, know how much time people need to get to certain locations and abuse that with for example rushing to an ambush or quickly picking a few off before falling back. (a rundown for Parkour is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBXoHlXCPFs ). Have a plan when moving away from spawn, and change that plan depending on what the enemy does. With this mindset i had two matches on classic Harbour where i went 50-2. For newer players it’s advisable to be unpredictable since outplaying an opponent straight up every time might be a lot harder when surprise is easier and more effective.

Sever Settings
Server settings drastically alter game play, always look at the server setting before you auto-assign into the action. Settings like ‘enable body parts’ make enemies harder to kill, so go for headshots. When shoot through walls is on, consider picking up an AR and spray at walls people are hiding behind. I really dislike 3rd person view, so i won’t even bother to join the game when it’s on. It can be heavily abused especially when shoot through walls is also on. When run is enabled use it to rush to locations faster and when dueling for extra speed. Random spawns are random, thus less skill and planning.

Sniping Facts/Hints(AKA my opinion :P)

-High ground is high risk, high reward. When pulled of correctly it can lead to many kills.
-Camping/Hardscoping is effective as long you know you’re save and know the whereabouts of the enemies.
-Flank or get flanked.
-When fighting close range, quickscope first. If you miss pull out your deagle an try to kill them with it instead.
-I use AWP in more than 90% of the maps i play.

Lol no idea why my post didn’t show up :S.Great guide lad :D.

Flag Post

Got 50/12 on TDM Westwood using AWPs. It was funny, the enemies were all clustered together and they were all looking frantically around to see where I was when in reality I was crouching behind a sign on a building.

Flag Post
Originally posted by helltank:

lukie, how did you manage to do some really high jumps in your parkour video? Was space mod on or something?

I made all the jumps with knife and no running. I used run and deagle with run speed 2 to get to locations faster and make an impossible jump (the one at: 1:40), so i did not increase playerspeed or anything else Gezus might have suggested. Space mod was off. I wouldn’t mind showing the route i took in a non custom game ^^.

EDIT: if i used all of the settings to speed me up, it would look like this

Flag Post

Just got a 50/17 in Simpson’s House TDM, and before that was a 50/19.

EDIT:Naturally, my weapon was AWP. Got some kills with Deagle and knife, but not much.

Flag Post

Bump. This thread needs to be revived.

Snipers, whip out your Deagle if quickscope fails. I’ve seen so many noobs just wait for the 3 second pause between shots, by which time I’ve shoved my AK47 down their throat.