Regarding De dust maps

64 posts

Flag Post

Hi just wanted to know if we are getting them anytime soon or are they forever vanquished? I see them for android only but not cpu thxs.

Flag Post

Forever vanquished, hopefully.

Good riddance.

Flag Post

I made in google sketch up
see this is images
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/688/17120075.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/24/42477440.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/341/84969366.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/43/39571477.jpg/

Flag Post

Oh nice! I can see this will be a good map

Flag Post
Originally posted by SergioPoverony:

see this is images

This.

I want this.

Go forth O’ mighty wizard of CSP and create such a beauty.

Flag Post

nice very nice WOOO!! WE WANT DE_DUST

Flag Post

Yep keep up the good work :-) Looks good lets hope its will be as good and simpel as the dust we all ready knew :). Its a good start for a like “de_dust2x2” and sooner you/or someone with the IQ can make it as big as the true dusts are so there are even more skill gained by playing it.

Flag Post

About time you came around to Kongregate Sergio. =)

As you can see, we will be implementing two variations [the second one not shown] of the De_Dust map. Both should be up-to-par with what players would expect from the original Dust.

Flag Post
Originally posted by CSPortable_Vile:

As you can see, we will be implementing two variations [the second one not shown] of the De_Dust map. Both should be up-to-par with what players would expect from the original Dust.

Originally posted by SergioPoverony:

see this is images

alright cool thanks

Flag Post

alright thanks for that info and ty to everyone who replied. Cant wait !! :D

Flag Post

I hope the new map turns out good. It’s not dust2 obviously, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. I’d prefer something over a copy.

Can you explain why dust2 is being taken out now, after such a long time? Copyright infringement didn’t seem like an issue before in regard to this map. And people are still playing dust2 on android.

Also, mapmakers, I hope you stick to less flashy, more simple maps. They take less time to develop and I think people tend to enjoy them more. dust2 was a very simple map at its core. There are a few boxes and changes in elevation here and there to add a bit of variety, but it’s not over the top.

In fact, all competition maps from counter-strike that I remember were pretty simple. People played maps like rats, but good players who stuck with the game rarely did. Too much flashiness in a map → random kills → more luck → less weight on skill → no feeling of improvement with time investment → player stops playing map.

Flag Post

It was decided to move forward with removing all unoriginal content, such as imported maps.

I’ve seen the new Dust – which is likely to be two separate Dust maps, made by different map creators – and they look very good.

I believe that they will stay relatively true to the core of simplicity – and design, regarding the original De_Dust design.

I am not entirely certain what constitutes “flashy” – moving objects within a map [Space_Dock]?

Flag Post

flashy = excessive colors that make it hard to see other players, way too much fluctuation in elevation, moving parts, excessive obstacles, etc. Perhaps flashy was a bad word choice. I meant dust is a relatively plain map and it’s very skill-oriented. It’s not completely flat and there is a little bit of variation. But there’s not so much that a team game seems like a deatmatch. Maps like sniper towers, rats, etc. are based either purely on aim or so over the top that they make competitive play meaningless.

Another impediment to competitive play which I’ve mentioned numerous times is the fact that you can see around corners of walls. Competitive teams, which probably don’t exist right now, could really abuse this feature. I don’t know if it’s something that will be fixed.

Flag Post

I know that the new Dust maps will have new textures, and a variety of different items within the map; Boxes, signs – however, I believe it will stay quite true to the original ‘plain’ design that was used before.

You’re referring to the “look down with an AWP” to peak around, and over objects?

Flag Post

no… i explained it to f2004w. maybe he can show you some time.

Flag Post

That’s a shame – it should of been reported to the bugs department, or myself. As “F2004w” is a member of the Support Team, I’m sure that it will be appropriately addressed. I’ll be certain to contact him for more information.

Flag Post

That’s a shame – it should of been reported to the bugs department, or myself. As “F2004w” is a member of the Support Team, I’m sure that it will be appropriately addressed. I’ll be certain to contact him for more information.

You, god knows why, banned my account so I can’t really go report it to the bugs department through the in-game mechanism.

Also, f2004w said nothing could be done about it. I don’t think he knew what I was talking about, but go and ask him. Plenty of people abuse the glitch though. I’d be surprised if you haven’t noticed it before.

Flag Post

Bugs can be reported via our external website, and by e-mail. [The external site contains the e-mail addresses, and is locatable via the ‘Game Instructions’ section below the game]

I’ll be certain to look into the matter, thank you for bringing it to my attention!

Flag Post

Vile – a few things:

Firstly, we can’t see there are going to be two variations when only one is shown. I’m loathe to try to explain why this is true but hopefully by explicitly stating it again, the reasons shall become obvious of their own accord.

Secondly, why didn’t you make a proper announcement thread to this effect and have it temporarily stickied? Everyone in the entire player base is complaining about the lack of good maps and the lack of dust2. I haven’t gone to a single map, a single match or played a single round where at least 1 person hasn’t asked ‘wheretf is dust2!?!??’.

This (part two) is not a difficult task to accomplish and the fact that you are still being so secretive about things that aren’t trade secrets or the like, broadcasts plainly that our complaints have fallen on deaf ears.

I don’t think I’m being unreasonable here – do you?

Flag Post

There aren’t available public previews of the second variation yet – which is why it wasn’t shown.

A new thread was not stickied as the announcement of the replacement release for maps wasn’t suppose to be made just yet – but Sergio was unable to contain him!

Tomorrow, during office hours, I will be certain to have an appropriate thread stickied to cover the general inquiries of “Where did the maps go?!”

Apologies for any disruptions this might have caused.

Flag Post
Originally posted by slixtrix:

flashy = excessive colors that make it hard to see other players, way too much fluctuation in elevation, moving parts, excessive obstacles, etc. Perhaps flashy was a bad word choice. I meant dust is a relatively plain map and it’s very skill-oriented. It’s not completely flat and there is a little bit of variation. But there’s not so much that a team game seems like a deatmatch. Maps like sniper towers, rats, etc. are based either purely on aim or so over the top that they make competitive play meaningless.

Snipertowers – I hated it, thus I made P.O.W. to make it a little more competitive rather have a plain field.

Too much fluctuation elevation? There is maps that has almost no elevation, play in those maps. Some people like fluctuation. :)

Excessive colors, excessive obstacles – Contract Wars has that too

Moving parts – Only very few maps has that.

Another impediment to competitive play which I’ve mentioned numerous times is the fact that you can see around corners of walls. Competitive teams, which probably don’t exist right now, could really abuse this feature. I don’t know if it’s something that will be fixed.

Yes, there is a checkbox that fix that (fix textures), and yes that shouldn’t be an option it should be on at all time. – Igor can only change that

I believe I said something in the line that there is nothing “I” can do to get that changed. NOT it couldn’t be done.

Flag Post

Original dust as in the shitty, skill-less camping fest dustx2? Please do not bring that map back.

If you want to implement ANY version of De_Dust, implement the TRUE Dust2, not the crap x2.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Carbinedevil:

Original dust as in the shitty, skill-less camping fest dustx2? Please do not bring that map back.

If you want to implement ANY version of De_Dust, implement the TRUE Dust2, not the crap x2.

I dont think they have to ban them because some ppl like myself enjoy them. there are certain maps I like and yet all I have to do is not play in them. Therefore I think t be best to keep de dust maps as there are ppl who like them as well.

Flag Post

f2004w:

I’m not saying there should be no fluctuation in elevation, no colors, and no obstacles. I’m saying too much is generally not fun. It might be a bit of a stretch but websites are a good analogy. Google is a successful website that uses some color and is easily traversable. Much of Google’s success can be attributed to its simple design and ease of navigation. But it is not just a white page that says Google in black text with a small text entry field below it. There’s a little bit of color. The letters stick out a little bit, but not so much that they are overwhelming. There’s a bit of style. It’s just simple style.

I think you lost my point on elevation fluctuation. Again, I’m not saying there should be no fluctuation. There should definitely be some. Otherwise the map becomes too easy to learn and players get bored of it. de_rats is an example of a map that has too much color and too much fluctuation in elevation. Same with the space dock map that Vile mentioned. I’m not saying these are bad maps, but they’re quite different than the sort of competitive maps that were used in caleague and cpl. And there’s a reason why maps like rats and space dock were not used in competitive team matches. It’s not conducive to competitive play. There’s far more luck involved in a map like de_rats than a map like de_dust2, de_cbble, de_nuke, de_cpl_mill, de_aztec, etc.

For pubs, maps like dust2 are also nice because they are easy to learn and have a little variety. The more time a player invests in it, the better he/she gets in general.

Contract Wars does have a little bit more color and some more obstacles, but no map is over the top by any means. Everything still seems natural. Also, the graphics are nice enough and game mechanics are deep enough to support it. So, maps still look nice and play well, which is crucial to ensuring a decent level of competitive play.

Moving parts can be okay if they seem natural, but usually they’re some half-baked addition that seems tacked on because the modeler just wanted to experiment a little.

While you might disregard what I say, there definitely is a psychology to gaming that can be exploited in key ways to ensure success. And maps definitely play a big factor into that.

Also, that’s not the glitch I was talking about f2004w. In the other thread where we talked about this, you mentioned the same fix see through walls things. Then I said that’s not what I was talking about. Then you said you misunderstood and that you knew exactly what I was talking about. I don’t think you did…

Flag Post

I was saying what you mentioned this in the tread. But please refresh my memory :)