Ask a Moderator

1592 posts

Flag Post

Do you have a question you would like answered officially? Need an opinion on something from the staff? Have an idea about guidelines or rules?

This thread is where you can discuss one on one with the Platform Racing Moderators on issues or questions you may have. Here are the gentlemen who will be helping you on this thread:

1amayzingman
1python64
animebubble
ASilva93
Tri Oxide
Bobheadtomato
Dutany
i5afari
VforVendetta
Trav1ssimo

Thank you!

You can still make threads asking questions and presenting ideas, this thread is just for quick reference and official answers from PR2 moderators.

Just to keep this consistent, we are going to let only moderators answer questions/ideas/etc. in this thread. Not that we don’t appreciate the help and input, it’d just be best to keep the FAQ centered around a moderator’s response. :)

Flag Post

FAQ

Q: What is a moderator?

A: Literally a moderator is simply a member with a ban button. They can ban from 15 seconds, to 5.6 years. They can also delete levels, go into the super secret mod chat, and have a blue name.

But a moderator is more than that, a moderator is staff member of jiggmin.com that was hand picked by one or more of the administrators. When someone is modded, that means the Admins entrust that person with power to make the chats a better place for all.

e46m3, who is an admin for PR2 says a moderator must have personality, knowledge, decisiveness, management, and fairness. They must also aspire to “keep things fair, clean, orderly, fun while HAVING FUN”

Q: What happens if a non-mod attempts to enter the super secret mod chat?

A: When a user attempts to join the ‘mod’ chat on Platform Racing 2, they are denied access with a pop-up window. Only a moderator, temporary moderator, or administrator may enter the ‘mod’ chat.

Q: Does Jiggmin only trust well known racers?

A: The Administration chooses moderators based primarily on chat behavior, helpfulness to other users, and maturity levels. Community leadership also plays a big role in deciding who becomes a moderator (community manager), so it’s quite common to see people active in the community becoming moderators – but this is not the main reason.

Q: When exactly are the admins online?

A: The Administrators come online just as randomly as you or I do, so it’s hard to tell when exactly one may sign on. Not to mention, they also have many tasks and events going on in their lives that may prevent them from signing on as often as we would like. The best way to get in contact with an Administrator is by Private Message, or e-mail.

Well if there was a time admins always come on, we can do converstions, but the time admins go on is random, it can be at any time, 12PM or 3AM. Any time, you just never know.

Q: When you delete your OP in a thread on Kong, does it lock itself?

A: Yes. When you delete the first post of a thread, the thread gets locked.

Q: What do moderators do about users who ask for passwords?

A: Asking in chat: 1 minute
Asking in PM: 1 Hour
Asking/Begging in PM, sending to multiple users: 1 Day
Tricking people for their password: 1 week
Mass PMing tricking for password: 1 month

Q: Do moderators always warn before bans?

A: In most situations, we always warn before banning. However, if someone were to nuke (post a huge blank space), ban evading, inappropiate usernames, etc. they will get banned without warning.

Q: If someone says they are a moderator and asks for my password, should I?

A: Simply put, NEVER give out your password to anyone. Anyone who asks for your password is just trying to steal your account.

Q: What if someone mass spams my inbox?

A: If someone sends you spam messages in your inbox, the best thing to do is ignore them by clicking their name and clicking ‘Ignore’. If they continue to harass you on alternate accounts, you can report it to one of us or an administrator.

Q: Is glitching against the rules?

A: Glitching in a level is frowned upon, but not really against the rules. However, hacking (using a program or software) is against the rules, and results in banning.

Q: What if a moderator bans you for an unfair reason?

A: If you feel it is absolutely absurd that a mod has perhaps banned you for a week, for saying poo or something, then you may contest it at: http://jiggmin.com/forum/index.php by making a private message to any mod there, or a thread.

However, if you feel that a certain rule is unfair, you will probably not have anything done to undo the ban, and any ban under a day in length will probably not be undone (due to the time it takes to get permission to undo the ban).

If anyone feels they were banned unfairly, the best thing to do would be mass PMing the administrators on PR2 from JV. They can deal with it directly, where as asking another moderator would just mean having them PM the administrators.

Abusive moderators are discussed in a forum only visible to administrators, and obviously it wouldn’t be up for discussion in the moderators forums.

Q: Banning for ban evading?

A: First thing would be to post the link to the ban, on this thread (so we have some additional information).
Because moderators can’t unban or shorten bans on PR2, we’d/you’d have to take it to jiggmin (contact@jiggmin.com).

Mistake bans do happen, as careful as we are, and we do our best to prevent them… however ban evading is a common issue and is taken pretty strictly. A common case of an unfair ban for ban evading is when someone makes an account closely resembling a flooder that just got a ban (eg: hackerguy220 > hackerguy221) to joke around. Because we don’t have IP tracing equipment, we use our best judgment when banning, so they user would have been banned for an excessive amount of time, for flooding (with no prior warning)

If you post the link to the ban, and include more information I might be of assistance.

Q: Why does PR2 crash sometimes?

A: Our best guess is that you may need to update/reinstall Adobe Flash Player, and make sure you are only running PR2 on one tab. Sometimes the instability can cause the browser to act up. If it continues, you may want to try out different browsers and see if there is any change.

Q: How do I report a harassing message?

A: We need something like a video created with some sort of screen capturing software like hypercam to ban. If you can provide us with a video showing without a doubt someone has been sending you rude/offensive/scam PMs, then we can act upon it. If not, you can just ignore them.

Q: Why does it have to be a video when you report someone?

A: Video is much more difficult to fake than a screenshot. Screenshots could easily be uploaded to paint and tampered with to make someone look like they said something they didn’t.

Q: Do you have to be active on Jiggmin.com to become a moderator?

A: Firstly, I must point out being a mod isn’t an ‘unlockment’ within the game, its just a job someone has to do, so don’t get into a fret finding secret ways to become one. However, the answer is generally yes, as most or all of the current mods are active on pr2. Also, as far as I’m aware, only pr2 mods are eligible to become forum mods (for the reason that pr2 mod activities are discussed in a mod hub) at jiggmin.com.

Q: Are most moderators American?

A: A majority are American, but there may be some exceptions (RedJackdaw is English).

Q: Where can I view my F@H points?

A: F@H points can be viewed by right clicking the F@H icon in your system tray, going to ‘Status’ then ‘User Statistics’. This will display your current WUs completed, and your score. Once your score reaches the appropiate amoint of points, you will receive your prize.

Q: What ever happened to the idea of world-time moderators (moderators in different time zones so that there will almost always be Pr2 monitoring)?

A: Mods are picked based on how well the admins think they will do the job, not based on “We need a mod that lives in GMT+5”

Q: Will there be more mods for Pr3?

A: To our best knowledge, most likely. That is for Jiggmin to decide.

Q: When Pr3 comes out, will the Pr2 mods still moderate Pr2?

A: Mostly to PR3, but I’m sure we’ll visit pr2 periodically. All moderators on PR2 will become moderators on PR3.

Q: Will the accounts be transferred over to Pr3, along with rank, hats, etc.?

A: I think the accounts will (seeing as moderators will remain moderators), but ranks, hats, etc. may have to be re-earned. This is just our best guess.

Q: Can ordinary mods permaban?

A: Yes, ordinary moderators can issue eternity bans.

Q: What’s the maximum length of a temp mod’s ban?

A: One minute.

Q: Is simming and macroing against the rules?

A: While they may not be against the rules, it is still dishonorable. Macroing on Kongregate, however, is the use of outside programs to otherwise cheat/exploit a game and is against the rules.

Q: What sort of thing must a player do to get banned for life, and can you ban by IP address?

A: Evading bans or creating multiple accounts used solely for trolling usually gets banned for life. Every ban a full mod gives on PR2 bans both the account AND the IP.

Q: How is it some people evade an IP Ban?

A: Some people find ways around the IP Ban using Proxies, but we usually can catch them and issue another ban. Eventually people give up because it is so much trouble.

Q: What is the difference between spamming and flooding?

A: Spamming and flooding are nearly the same. Some may argue that spamming is a more severe form of flooding. Flooding is similar to posting a large paragraph of nonsense (for example, a bunch of A’s) or posting three or more identical posts in a row. The same also goes for posting words and/or letter one after another (for example, 1 2 3 with each number a separate post). I guess it can all be defined down to one simple definition: If your post does not contribute to the chat and is otherwise annoying, repeated, or taking up space then it is considered flooding/spamming.

Q: Does deleting a level remove the level in its entirety?

A: It’s more like unpublishing. It doesnt delete all your work, it just unpublishes the level.

Q: Why do moderators have their own chatroom?

A: The ‘mod’ chatroom is helpful when an Admin makes a temporary moderator, so that they can chat easily about things one-on-one. The moderator chatroom also serves as a place for moderators to discuss about things privately and quickly that we may not want the public to hear.

Q: Why are moderators always in Derron and not the other servers?

A: Derron server usually tends to be the most busy (which means it’s where we are needed most). But we do go to other servers if needed.

Flag Post

reserved

Flag Post

I love this idea, I will be more than glad to answer any questions.

Flag Post

Hi, Zshadow.

There are a few moderator in PR2. What is a moderator?

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post
Originally posted by razin21:

Hi, Zshadow.

There are a few moderator in PR2. What is a moderator?

What is a Moderator? Good question.

Literally a moderator is simply a member with a ban button. They can ban from 15 seconds, to 5.6 years. They can also delete levels, go into the super secret mod chat, and have a blue name.

But a moderator is more than that, a moderator is staff member of jiggmin.com that was hand picked by one or more of the administrators. When someone is modded, that means the Admins entrust that person with power to make the chats a better place for all.

e46m3, who is an admin for PR2 says a moderator must have personality, knowledge, decisiveness, management, and fairness. They must also aspire to “keep things fair, clean, orderly, fun while HAVING FUN

Flag Post

by the way asilva93, what happens if a non-mod attempts to enter the super secret mod chat?

Flag Post

Just to keep this consistent, we are going to let only moderators answer questions/ideas/etc. in this thread. :) Not that we don’t appreciate the help and input, it’d be best to keep the FAQ centered around a moderator’s response.

Edit: I’ll just keep that up there. ;)

Originally posted by Thomasgrox:

by the way asilva93, what happens if a non-mod attempts to enter the super secret mod chat?

When a user attempts to join the ‘mod’ chat on Platform Racing 2, they are denied access with a pop-up window. Only a moderator, temporary moderator, or administrator may enter the ‘mod’ chat.

Flag Post

As you said only people Jiggmin trusts are mods, These people are also quite famous for art or levels and stuff right, So does this mean Jiggmin only trusts well known racers? And if thats the case why arent people like Intrpd or Mf Eclipse mod? And when exactly are the admins online? I live in britain and I rarely see any mods, I think I’d have a better chance of being temped if I knew when admins were on. Thanks for taking my questions :)

Flag Post
Originally posted by IRowk666:

As you said only people Jiggmin trusts are mods, These people are also quite famous for art or levels and stuff right, So does this mean Jiggmin only trusts well known racers? And if thats the case why arent people like Intrpd or Mf Eclipse mod? And when exactly are the admins online? I live in britain and I rarely see any mods, I think I’d have a better chance of being temped if I knew when admins were on. Thanks for taking my questions :)

The Administration chooses moderators based primarily on chat behavior, helpfulness to other users, and maturity levels. Community leadership also plays a big role in deciding who becomes a moderator (community manager), so it’s quite common to see people active in the community becoming moderators – but this is not the main reason.

The Administrators come online just as randomly as you or I do, so it’s hard to tell when exactly one may sign on. Not to mention, they also have many tasks and events going on in their lives that may prevent them from signing on as often as we would like. The best way to get in contact with an Administrator is by Private Message, or e-mail.

Flag Post

You kinda got a bit confused there Zshadow, By when are they on I mean like if they are american what time is that they come on to me in Britain, In other words would I have to stay up till 2am to see an american admin. Oh and thanks.

Flag Post

Good idea, guys.

Question: When you delete your OP in a thread on kong, does it lock itself? That’s what happened to me in my competition thread…which I don’t mind, I just thought it would delete the whole thread.

EDIT: Or does it do that so people can’t take away others’ posts?

Flag Post
Originally posted by IRowk666:

You kinda got a bit confused there Zshadow, By when are they on I mean like if they are american what time is that they come on to me in Britain, In other words would I have to stay up till 2am to see an american admin. Oh and thanks.

Well if there was a time admins always come on, we can do converstions, but the time admins go on is random, it can be at any time, 12PM or 3AM. Any time, you just never know.

Originally posted by BCF1432:

Good idea, guys.

Question: When you delete your OP in a thread on kong, does it lock itself? That’s what happened to me in my competition thread…which I don’t mind, I just thought it would delete the whole thread.

EDIT: Or does it do that so people can’t take away others’ posts?

Z will correct me if Im wrong, but this thread is mainly for PR2 questions, not kong questions.

Flag Post

To answer BCF’s question, Yes. When you delete the first post of a thread, the thread gets locked.

I also think we can use this thread to ask PR2 forum related questions as well. Anything related to PR2 (including the forum).

Flag Post

I see. Thanks!

Flag Post

What do moderators do about users who lie like “PM me your pass and I’ll get you permanent cowboy and 80,000,000000,0000 million real life dollars!” and that sort of thing?

Flag Post
Originally posted by RustDrake:

What do moderators do about users who lie like “PM me your pass and I’ll get you permanent cowboy and 80,000,000000,0000 million real life dollars!” and that sort of thing?

Asking in chat: 1 minute
Asking in PM: 1 Hour
Asking/Begging in PM, sending to multiple users: 1 Day
Tricking people for their password: 1 week
Mass PMing tricking for password: 1 month

Flag Post

you warn people before you ban them, right?

Flag Post

someone by the name PR3 MOD3RAT0R SEnT ME THIS
PM:
Hello Blabla25, I am a pr3 mod. I would like you to give me your username and password (I will not hack your account.) everyone knows pr3 is coming out very soon. and i need to get alot of peoples passwords I have to gather up the information and put it on pr3, Please pm me back soon. Thank you.-PR3 MODERATOR Real or not

Flag Post

Hi :) Is glitching cheating because a lot of people do glitches and can people report you if you are “cheating” (glitching)? Thanks :D

Flag Post

Nice quide…works good for newbies who don’t know what a mod is.

Flag Post

What if someone mass spam my inbox?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Thomasgrox:

you warn people before you ban them, right?

In most situations, we always warn before banning. However, if someone were to nuke (post a huge blank space), ban evading, inappropiate usernames, etc. they will get banned without warning.

Originally posted by Hannes96:

someone by the name PR3 MOD3RAT0R SEnT ME THIS
PM:
Hello Blabla25, I am a pr3 mod. I would like you to give me your username and password (I will not hack your account.) everyone knows pr3 is coming out very soon. and i need to get alot of peoples passwords I have to gather up the information and put it on pr3, Please pm me back soon. Thank you.-PR3 MODERATOR Real or not

Simply put, NEVER give your password to anyone. Anyone who asks for your password is just trying to steal your account.

Originally posted by kevinexmx:

What if someone mass spam my inbox?

If someone sends you spam messages in your inbox, the best thing to do is ignore them by clicking their name and clicking ‘Ignore’. If they continue to harass you on alternate accounts, you can report it to one of us or an administrator.

Originally posted by JokaTripper:

Hi :) Is glitching cheating because a lot of people do glitches and can people report you if you are “cheating” (glitching)? Thanks :D

Glitching in a level is frowned upon, but not really against the rules. However, hacking (using a program or software) is against the rules, and results in banning. (This is my opinion, but other moderators please correct me if I’m wrong.)

Flag Post

What if a moderator is unfair and bans you for a tiny reason?
Can you contest the ban?