Forums Cloudstone

Fast weapons are slower than they should be.

8 posts

Flag Post

I tested some weapon speed on training dummy.
The test duration is mostly 30 sec and I count how many attacks during this period.
What I found is that slower weapon’s speed are about what they should be, like Autumn’s Fall. Even the fast Forlorn fern wand speed is about right.

But then I test claws: “Midas sting” (dps 76, dmg 29-40). the damage on tanning dummy confirmed the damage range is correct. But during the 30 sec period, I only get about 55-56 hits, which is obviously slower than theoretical 2.2 hits/sec.

For the fastest weapon in the game “Snowflake staff”, dps 11, dmg 2-5. I only get about 41-43 hits during 15 sec, that’s also slower than 3.14/s

I guess there are some attack animation that are not affected by weapon speed. So the impact is negligible on slower weapons but not for fast weapons.

Flag Post

This is a legitimate topic that needs to be addressed. When balancing weapons (Twin cutters vs Flametongue) they would be balanced if attacks per seconds were correct. (i.e. ebony inlaid ring + twin cutters DPS = 171, vs 173 DPS on flametongue + ebony inlaid ring) I was wondering why I get pwned when fighting the flametongue set with full cutter, and now I know why… Thanks.

On a side note, this could also be due to lag (if the game is lagging you will hit fewer times, because seconds in game are extended due to lag)

Flag Post

Unfortunately, if you want to make proper weapon speed test (or berserk/haste), you have to do it during timed mission, not on Practice Field. Weapon speed is relative to game speed, and this varies A LOT. One 3:00 mission took me 5:30, other 3:50 (changed to low detail). For now your best bet is to assume DPS is displayed correctly, since (dis)proving this theory is difficult. If you want to test it, restart defence mission untill you get champion bats/foxes start Yetinothah Camp gauntlet (or any other timed mission with no monsters in starting area), stand in corner in the middle, shift+click attack empty air (might be herb pot if you’re using very low DPS weapon, but empty air is better since it won’t introduce new variable) and count attack animations. Divide number of attacks by time elapsed according to game timer.

Flag Post

Just found out it can be done in practice field. You have a timer on your vigor :P – on a side note, twin cutters theoretically has 2.49 attacks per second, in reality, it is very close to 2.0 attacks per second, maybe 2.01 or 1.99 DPS.

Flag Post

This may have been patched and the weapon speeds changed. Perform your test again.

Flag Post

I just tested it, a few minutes ago. I sent a PM to fragsworth about it, maybe he will sort it out, this is an issue for MANY weapons. – Edit – I just tested Obsidian Orb Wand, which is supposed to have 1.31 attacks per second, however, after testing it in the map called “Somewhere”, after 27 seconds, 32 strikes were counted, which leaves the DPS at 1.19 (1.185181581….) which means that the DPS is incorrect. This isn’t far from the calculation I got from 100 seconds on the practice field (1.14, 114 strikes in 100 seconds)

Flag Post

Vigor is not in-game timer, it’s real time. You can test it easily by spamming all kind of spells during timed mission while running around like crazy (it introduces crazy lag for me, but then again I’m using 6 years old laptop and game runs in Firefox) and compare vigor/boost timer with mission timer. So I’m sorry, but no cookie.

Flag Post

This issue has still not been resolved. I thought I would bring it back to life because after testing more weapons, I found that for some reason, rusty sword matched up perfectly with attacks/sec, while various other weapons that have already been listed have not matched up, even in timed missions, even after all of the updates that have occurred up to this point.

Side note – Tested Eye See Wand using the above method that Seizan_7 suggested in Yetinothah camp to find # of attacks per second… # of attacks in 60 seconds = 77, which = 1.283333…, as opposed to the theoretical 1.52212… attacks per second (calculated in this manner → 86/((50 + 63)/2) Where 86 is the proposed DPS of the weapon, 50 is the minimum damage, 63 is the maximum damage, and division of 2 averages this number to allow for average rate of attack per second)