Forums Off-topic

Breaking bridge collapse! page 3 (locked)

71 posts

Flag Post

Well, you claim you want to shed emotions to help logic and efficiency, and you say the only emotion you use is anger to relevie you. Why make this exception?

Flag Post

Because I cannot control my anger sometimes.

Flag Post

Indeed. Making decisions when angry is a terrible move. Ever tried grocery shopping while hungry? You’ll buy all sorts of stuff. Now take that an intensify the feeling into anger and try to make a logical, informed, reasonable decision. It’s completely foolish (and definitely something a stoic wouldn’t do).

Also, be careful about the claims you make and things you think you’re “sure” of.

Flag Post

It depends on the decision being made.

Flag Post

I would say it doesn’t at all, unless you already know what decision to make and you’re using anger to convince yourself to do it. But then of course you haven’t used anger to make the decision, but simply to push yourself into it.

Flag Post

How does it? Especially when you claim to be searching for logical conclusions. Anyway, I have to go. I shall debate with you all tommorrow. Brown Pie needs sleep.

Flag Post

If I deide to kill someone, anger plays a factor, if I decide what to eat and I am angry, nothing will change.

Flag Post

That’s not what we’re arguing. We’re arguing that it’s a bad idea to be angry when making a decision.

Flag Post

no, it depends on the decision being made, my example up there ^ up is that way.

If you are going to argue you must listen!

Flag Post

See, now had I let anger affect what I typed, this comment probably would have gotten me warned by a moderator. But I deleted and restarted.

Let me get this straight: you think if you’re feeling the urge to kill someone, then it is a good idea to be angry while making this decision?

Flag Post

No! listen! If I decide to kill someone and I wasn’t angry, i could tell myself not to kill. If I was angry I would kill them with poor judgement. If I am deciding to get something to eat, my anger won’t change the decision that would be made without anger.

Flag Post

Oh – you’re arguing that it’s only sometimes a bad idea to make a decision when angry. See, when you fully explain your argument it makes this debate process go a lot smoother. However, I’d still say that even eating is not a safe decision while angry (and have personal evidence to prove it).

Flag Post

Present your evidence. and also, i already did explain the post fully.

Flag Post

No, all you said was “it depends on the decision”. This was an ambiguous statement. You meant that some decisions are unaffected by anger. I interpreted to mean “some decisions are better when made angry”.

The evidence, comical as it may sound, is that I was on the phone one time with a guy for about 2 hours, accomplishing absolutely nothing. He was being an idiot and quite unreasonable. During this time, most of the places I would eat closed (in front of me, as I was sitting in the car). At the end of the conversation, I went and got horrible fast food because I was just so pissed off. In a calmer state I would have found a more sensible and healthy choice, but in the moment of anger I didn’t care – I just wanted instant, greasy gratification. :)

Flag Post

you quite oviusly interpreted wrong. well unfortunately anger effects too many of your decisions, and I don’t even think we can call that anger, more like impatience.

Flag Post

As a debater I find your debate amazing and with you permission present it to my class. As a bystander I think once you are done please make good…henry I did not admit to taking less affect other tragedies I said if being the keyword there. continue.

And on a latter not Moderators these sort of things should not happen being a moderator doesn’t only mean policing it also means mediating arguments if you aren’t on thats fine, but then you should think of making more forum mods. i’m willing to elaborate further at the negatives of letting arguments drag on like this. although this one was tame other may not be.

Again this argument is beautiful I really love it I hope you guys agree to let me transcript this.

Flag Post

That depends, why is my part of the thread amazing? was i good or greivously bad?

Flag Post

It takes two to tango henry and I can’t say that your argument i liked but i can say you never ever failed to return an argument, and did not change your argument or introduce new arguments late in the game which is goo debate sportsmanship

Flag Post

I’m flattered that you enjoyed it Phatcat. I personally have no problems if you’d like to share the debate, though I don’t know that I agree that we were exactly good debate sports the entire time (there may have been some sarcasm and name-calling here and there…). I’m curious – what class are you sharing this with?

Flag Post

Its a shame that a tragic event has turned into a flame fest in these forums. I pop in to make sure everything is under control, only to find I have to lock it. Thats a real shame.

it’s kinda funny, but I am sure you guys didn’t make such a big deal for other tragedys and I think some of you are just saying “i am sorry for all who have been lost” a million times to make other people think you care very deeply. I think most of the time peoples emotions are phony. just my two cents. I am entitled to an opinion right?

That was really uncalled for, and as far as my opinion goes, the unkind attitude in this comment was one of the main reasons this thread spiraled out of control. Its sad that someone cant say something about a tragedy without being accused of being phony, or judged over the speculation of how they may or may not have reacted to other tragedies. These baseless, unkind and uncalled for accusations are called trolling, and its plain to see it has done its job.

Next time; regardless of what your opinions are towards other posters; try to show a little respect to the victims in cases like this.

Behavior Guidelines

Flag Post

I already said I interpreted wrong, though this was in part because I was given an ambiguous response.

So now you’re dictating which emotions I was feeling in my own story? Come now, which of us is a better judge of that? Not to mention that you now bring up a good point: emotions are often compound (i.e. multiple can occur simultaneously). Are you sure when you “allow” yourself to feel anger that there isn’t just a tiny bit of jealousy creeping in? Or perhaps sorrow? I don’t think you can truly tell me that you’ve rid yourself of all emotions, or even of all besides anger.

However, I think the real point is: is it ideal to rid oneself of emotions? Now, I can point to all sorts of pop fiction (Star Trek, as mentioned before, is actually an excellent example, which Data’s quest for emotion) that supports the idea of emotion being an essential human characteristic. But instead I will ask you – what do you consider the definition of human? What about of the ideal human?