Forums Off-topic

Guitarists come here.

55 posts

Flag Post

Let’s talk about guitars, guitarists, and in detail Gibson Les Pauls custom…mmmm

Flag Post

What do you want to know about guitars?

Flag Post

Everyone I know plays the Les Paul series. I have to admit though, Les Pauls do look sleek and sexy, but to tell you the truth the guitar doesn’t have much to do with the sound. So when I bought my guitar I just bought a cheap Epiphone SG and installed some good expensive pickups.

Flag Post

The only thing good about Les Paul is they have a massive sustain, and have a unique sound (a characteristic each guitar maker has) that some people like.

Flag Post

hurray for anything made of canadian redwood!!!!

Flag Post

My personal favorite is my ESP Viper 301. I’m going to rip out the factory EMG pickups and put something more substantial in because they seem to have totally “weird” sweet spots for false harmonics. (Usually more than half an inch apart!).

Very solid construction though. I’ve only had to get one set up done in 3 years playing time. Oh, and Ernie Ball Super Slinkys for strings, Fender Frontman Amp.

Flag Post

I don’t like Les Pauls, to be honest.

I’m happy with my equipment – Ibanez electric, Ibanez acoustic, Fender Strat, Marshall amp.

Plan to get a new acoustic soon.

Been playing for about three years, taking lessons for two. I mostly work on composition and music theory (since I play a few other instruments as well, have played piano for a lot longer, though guitar is my main instrument nowadays), but as far as real songs go, I just finished Yngwie Malmsteen’s Trilogy. I dunno what song I’ll work on next. Probably one of Satriani’s albums.

Flag Post

Im gettin a gibson firebird in a couple weeks cant w8. I ben playing for 2 years btw.

Flag Post

As far as lessons, I’ve taken musical theory for about a year and stopped, and my best suggestion to you is learn chords not all of them just know about 10 of them. Learn songs you like and you’ll see they use the same “finger shape” as in the chords. So it gets quite a bit easier to learn songs/solos when you have a good vocabulary of chords at your disposal.

Flag Post

Fender Strat’s are awesome no matter what anyone says :D

Flag Post

ACOUSTICS SUCK but id have to say the best guitar ever is an ESP Viper 301

Flag Post

Acoustics don’t suck…In fact I like them more than electric guitars.

Flag Post

I like to call acoustics grandpa guitars, anyways I would say they each bring thier own sound to the table that the other can’t mimic. I learned acoustic before I grabed an electric and I like both. Tons of heavy metal bands have a song with an acoustic guitar or a piano in it. Playing an acoustic is like wearing pink, takes a real man (guitar player) to wear (use) one.

Flag Post

I much prefer acoustics to electrics- I hate being tethered to an amp, primarily, but I also just like the sound. I have a Yamaha FG75OS acoustic. Anyone who says any single guitar is the best in the world knows nothing about guitars.

Flag Post

Truth to fhornplayer is saying. There’s so many diffrent tone variations and it depends on one’s ear and what you like. From building a guitar personally from scratch i.e getting lumber and basically woodworking it into a guitar, every little thing has its affect on what a guitars will sound like. Such as the way its cut beleive it or not. If a guitar’s wood is ripped on a table saw you get ordinary guitar dealer such as Fender and Gibson sounds. But when you Quarter Cut the wood, you start getting into unique custom shops that have crazy tone. Such as Eric Johnson’s guitar, from which I heard was Quarter cutted wood. to the type of finish you use, most guitar companies use Nitrocellulose lacquer, which allows the wood to “breath” allowing for more tone. To the type of metal used in bridges,saddles, and tuning pegs. Brass has a more country/blues sound when it resonates, while others not so much. Wood itself is also a big factor seeing how diffrent woods let sound resonate off of it. Most major companies use Alder,basswood,mahogany,white ash,or cherry. Chervel (later becoming Jackson?) used swamp ash which is just a fancy name for white ash. Theres my rant =p enjoy.

Flag Post

From my experience Gibsons and Fenders get a good sound out of guitar shape, type of wood is only a small factor. Unless if your a perfectionist about getting certain sounds out of your guitar Gibsons and Fenders are still very high quality brand name stuff. Doesn’t matter if they cut it with a table saw the shapes they cut work.

Flag Post

I should say that from personal and experiance and fro ma luthier that’s had 22 years experiance. I’m just going by his word that he knows what he’s talking about. And if wood and everything didn’t play that facotr I beg you to answer this burning question, Why wouldn’t all guitar manufacturers use the cheapest wood possible if they had little effect on sound? Surely if they used the same would they couldn’t sue each other because they both have diffrent guitar shapes. As far as guitar shapes go they have little or no effect on sound. If you still think so compare a cheap chinese made guitar with the same profile of a Fender do they have the same sound? With my ear I can tell a significant diffrence. Then you could argue its the materials used and cheaper guitar would have cheaper materials. Well the nthat goes back to my main point on how materials effect the guitar sound.

Flag Post

If all guitar manufacturers used the cheapest wood possible every guitar would break really easily. You could drop your guitar and expect it to crack and shatter. If it’s made of the hardwoods like the ones they use nowadays you could try to smash a guitar and it would just bounce around a little and make the signature KERRANG! Noise.

Flag Post

But we are talking about sounds and tone. And if your trying to say that sound doesn’t resonate off of different materials differently then you would be wrong. Not all woods are the same thus the reson why they serve different purposes in life.

Flag Post

….. so who’s everyones favorite guitarist? (and as my english teacher would say) Why?

Mine would probably be Jimi Hendrix. He was a good guitar player and deid young, if he would have had the chance to live longer and get more experience he would have been one of the best guitarists ever.

Flag Post

What I was saying was THAT is the reason they don’t use cheap wood. I wasn’t trying to change the conversation. Also i never said sound doesn’t resonate off different materials differently. All I said was its not as large a factor as the shape. Thus the reason why Les Pauls, Flying Vs, and Stratocasters have very unique sounds from other guitars as do all guitars. It isn’t because they are made of a specific wood, many companies make those designs now all of them use different woods. Not because someone has a copyright on them. No way the Patton has lasted that long, But because Fender and Gibson aren’t trying to perfect a certain sound. They want to offer a wide variety of sounds out of a single guitar. Bringing me back to what I originally said, every guitar brings their own sounds to the table.

Dimebag Darryl Abbot, another great guitarist that died young. He would be my pick.

Flag Post

Yes, Dimebag Darryl was good too.

Flag Post

Bump.

My second choice would be Zack Wylde.

Flag Post

Yea, I know what you were saying DarthNader, and I was saying basically shape means nothing in comparison to the wood being used. The only thing about the “shape of a guitar” affected the sound is that some are heavier than others meaning more wood used thus creating a more “dull/dead” sound. That just goes for electrics though, as for acoustics yes i can see where it would change. I have a handful of luthiers that I know that can back me up on it too. As far as favorite guitarists go I don’t really have a favorite I was a big fan of Mark Knopfler and Eric Clapton for awhile. The for some strange reason I started liking Kurt Cobain (blame it on my girlfriend) not so much for his guitar playing skills, although he had a little, I just liked the energy and emotion he played with.

Flag Post

gah…..
i can only play one song with an acoustic T_T
well…not the whole song but part of it

help me out? o_O