Forums Off-topic

I would like to take a moment of your time to rant about the quality of your posts.

337 posts

Flag Post

I know that while reading this, some of you will be thinking, “I don’t do any of this. I don’t have to read this.” I would like it if everyone would take a moment of their time to read the post, as a refresher on the rules never hurt. I’m not saying I’m perfect, either. There are probably many things in here that I, myself, am guilty of.

If you’ve been here for a while, you may remember Frogmanex’s attempt at this. The quality of posts after that did improve, but for only about a week or two. I don’t know why I think I will have any greater success. If you don’t remember that thread, I recommend you read it. It can’t hurt to re-read over it again, if you remember it, though. If you haven’t read the stickies, these guys, please do that.

Discussion is good.

It’s what the forums are for. Apparently, though, not all of us know what constitutes a discussion. I’ll start off with thread-making. When you’re making a thread, you must include a clear-set topic of discussion. That doesn’t mean, “lol talk about bananas,” you should instead say, “I enjoy bananas. I would like to know, OT, what is your favorite fruit? Give details about why you love this fruit, or hate that one.” ‘Off Topic’ does not mean ‘No topic.’

A Youtube video is nothing to make a thread over. There’s already a thread there at the top of the forum to deter you from making a thread about it. Don’t say, “I would post this in the Masterthread but nobody will see it.” If we wanted to see Youtube videos, we would go to the Masterthread.

When you see a spam topic, flag the first post and a moderator will deal with it whenever they can.

A discussion is when you share your thought or story, and somebody else can then expand on your thought, share their own story, or tell you what they don’t like about your thought or story, and how you could improve it. This is not a discussion:

Originally posted by SamsterSamster:
Originally posted by dartjat:
Originally posted by roflcopter_pilot:
Originally posted by 35kdog:
Originally posted by Noddles:
Originally posted by yourmomdad:

An hero.

An hero.

That wasn’t the OP’s fault, either. They set the topic. That was your fault, OT. Flag pyramids, and don’t contribute to them. Which brings me to my next point.

If you don’t have anything to say, don’t say anything.

This doesn’t mean never post anything ever, but if you have nothing more to say than, “Cool story bro,” “An hero,” “inb4____,” or anything like that, you don’t need to post. If somebody else has already said something that you agree with, don’t just quote that post and click reply! If you can’t add anything onto the post or critique it in some way, you don’t need to post.

“But Darkir, I need to increase my post count to be cool!”

Post count means nothing.

Post count isn’t something to envy, to worship, to seek out by posting excessively. It’s kind of like age, on the Kongregate forums. You don’t worship elderly people just for being here longer than you. Vegard and Minnakht seem to have no features to differentiate from anyone else, besides where they live and seem to have their own fanbases. Post count is not something to judge a person by; if they have a high post count, you shouldn’t automatically think they’re good people you should befriend and agree with anything they say. You should make your own judgments of people, who you like, and who you don’t. Don’t adopt somebody else’s viewpoint!

I’m just saying you should give just as much respect and attention to people with one post as you would people with 20,000.

YE OLDE EDITE:

Originally posted by Vegard20:
Vegard and Minnakht seem to have no features to differentiate from anyone else, besides where they live and seem to have their own fanbases.

People call me quirky and overly perverted. I also do things to pics/videos of Real little girls; people would define as “illegal”. Does that mean everyone here masturbate to U13 girls? Do people here masturbate even when their family members are in the same room? Do everyone here have a deadly chronically lunge disease too? I hope not. That would make this place worse and sadder than I already thought it was.

No, we love you for who you are.
But everyone has quirks, perhaps not to the same extent on some points, but I just meant that there’s no point in paying more attention to other people just because of their post counts. I was just saying give everybody a fair chance and pay attention to them even if they have 0 posts, and to form your own opinions about others rather than adopting the opinion of other people.

ENDE EDITE:

Trolls/Spammers

A troll, by my definition, is somebody who acts in a way to bring negative attention to themselves through the internet. A spammer is somebody who posts excessively, with no real message in the posts to try to make others angry, which accomplishes the same goal of bringing negative attention their way. There’s a way to deal with trolls and spammers, a neat little tool of the Kongregate forums.

Flag the post. Then, just ignore them. Flagging the post brings it to the attention of moderators, so they can clean up the posts and silence or ban the troll/spammer if need be.

“Okay, I think I get what you’re saying. How do I become an accepted member of the community, though?”

Be yourself.

Don’t pretend to be something you’re not. If you’re not funny, don’t try to be, because people who try to be funny are usually the least funny. I’m not funny. I just do what I can to contribute to threads.
If you just be yourself and follow the rules, you should be accepted in time.

All I’m saying is, before you post, take a moment to think, “Do I need to post this? Does it contribute to the discussion?” and read over your to-be post once or twice.

Flag Post

my computer screen isn’t that big

Flag Post
Originally posted by Deadrights:

Mine either, that was just the computer I drew for some reason.

Flag Post

This should be put up there too:

Off Topic =/= No Topic

I read this all, and I only agree with some of it. The quality of posts nowadays aren’t what they use to be, but this isn’t SD and most of the decline is due to all the idiots coming here.

Flag Post

I am happy to be in the example

Flag Post
Originally posted by MicroGamer15:

Your textile sort of broke… but I really, really appreciate you typing up all of this. I agree completely, especially as a moderator of OT.

Nope, I shouted Gevock:

Wait so you are MicroGamer15?

His reply:

No. I never use alts on OT.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Deadrights:

Mine is.

Flag Post

Pretty decent OP, you could probably add to this by going into some depth with how to deal with trolls, would be a pretty constructive lesson for the community.
EDIT: Maybe some do & don’t for forums.

Flag Post

w00t! I am in That massive combo quote

Flag Post

I’m just being silly.

I know.

Flag Post

w00t! I am in That massive combo quote

That’s nothing to take pride in.

Flag Post

That’s pretty much what I do now. I’ve skipped hundreds of threads lately which I just had nothing to contribute on.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Speaksforthedead:

This should be put up there too:

Off Topic =/= No Topic

I read this all, and I only agree with some of it. The quality of posts nowadays aren’t what they use to be, but this isn’t SD and most of the decline is due to all the idiots coming here.

I’ll add that.

Your textile sort of broke… but I really, really appreciate you typing up all of this. I agree completely, especially as a moderator of OT. I see what’s behind those hidden posts, and it’s not pretty.

I fixed it, and don’t impersonate people.

Originally posted by okimaedaIzinki:

Pretty decent OP, you could probably add to this by going into some depth with how to deal with trolls, would be a pretty constructive lesson for the community.
EDIT: Maybe some do & don’t for forums.

I don’t know how I missed that, I’ll add that.

Flag Post

omg did you seriously write that whole thing~

Flag Post
Originally posted by uhhrina:

ya he did~

Flag Post
Originally posted by uhhrina:

He seriously did.

Flag Post

These crappy posts are clutter, and I’m probably a bad contributor as well.
I guess we all just need to put thoughts into our posts.

Flag Post

Now I feel guilty for making my first thread [expletive]. Won’t happen again though.

Flag Post

I’m more concerned about the quality of the threads than the posts.

Flag Post
Originally posted by MrSalvador:

I think we should work to find a medium between these two things. Without any of those things the internet isn’t the internet.

Flag Post

I love how people complain about OT not being SD, they act like as if OT should never make any sense and that only the autistic population should post here. It’s a shameful cover up for mental retardation.

Flag Post
Originally posted by MrSalvador:

Originally posted by Lucenian:

Now I feel guilty for making my first thread [expletive]. Won’t happen again though.

I’m glad to see this thread is doing what it’s meant to, but the question is, how long will we be reformed before we revert back to “lol an hero”?

Flag Post

I think we should work to find a medium between these two things. Without any of those things the internet isn’t the internet.

I agree, I think we should all look at our past 50 posts and determine if they’re good or not.

A lot of conversation happens in the forums, rather than discussion.

Flag Post

I’m glad to see this thread is working, but the question is, how long will we be reformed before we revert back to “lol an hero”?

About a day.

Flag Post

I’m glad to see this thread is doing what it’s meant to, but the question is, how long will we be reformed before we revert back to “lol an hero”?

This style of posting will always be there, and everyone will use it once in a while, but what we should do is help users be more aware of their posts.