Forums Off-topic

Tips for New Users

64 posts

Flag Post

- The best response you can offer to a thread with no topic is often no response at all. (aka lurk)

- Lurk for a while. Be sure to look around a lot so you understand the way the forum works.

- The edit button is right under your post count. Use it.

- Don’t try to troll OT. People here are just enjoying themselves, and successfully trolling OT is ridiculously easy and not something to be proud of. If you’re going to troll, take it somewhere where it’s a bit more challenging (like away from Kongregate).

- This is not 4chan. Discussing 4chan is perfectly fine, but there is no need to constantly use memes or brag about your endeavors in /b/, and how you are part of an evil, soulless group of hackers and mercenaries named “Anonymous”. And newfag is an inappropriate word, don’t use it.

- Don’t make a big deal about it if you know somebody who is underaged. If you feel it is necessary, report them from their profile. On the other side of things, if you are underage you probably shouldn’t be here, so if you decide to stay don’t make it a point to talk about your age.

- Forum games belong in the forum games forum.

- Post count only matters to a certain (small) extent. The people that have contributed most the forums are not those with the highest post count, not by a long shot. Post-whoring all day may let you gain reputation, but you’re wasting your time and being pretty damn unproductive. Go make a boat or something.

- Spelling and grammar do not matter very much if you can type like a normal person. Commenting on every little slip up is annoying and makes you much less likable than the person who made the error.

- For reference: Touhou, 4chan, Lucky Star.

- Most memes are not funny. If you are not good at telling which memes are funny or not, then just stay away from them all together.

- Do not harass other people even if they attacked you first. Remember that this is an internet forum. If somebody is trying to annoy you, they’ve got their own immature reason for it and that you won’t get anything out of responding.

- The forum mods are in the upper right corner of the forum directory. If one of them asks you to stop doing something, it’s best to listen to them and take the matter to profile whispers.

- Read the stickies.

- Regs change over time. There is no classic group of regulars, because the group is constantly changing. This is just something you will have to learn to get used to.

And lastly,
- Get to know the rest of the site before you stick to OT. There are plenty of others thing to do on Kong than post on OT. Become a regular in chat, play some games, upload some art etc.

Flag Post

- Read the stickies.

If people don’t read the stickies, what makes you think people will read this?

Flag Post

NOPE

Oh, and I’m going to take the time to disprove all of this so we can have a nice argument, Marh.

Flag Post

- Spelling and grammar doesn’t matter very much if you can type like a normal person. Commenting on every little slip up is annoying and makes you much less likable than the person who made the error.

I agree

Flag Post
successfully trolling OT is ridiculously easy

My intelligence/gullibility levels have been trolled

Flag Post

pictures :(

Flag Post

- The best response you can offer to a thread is often no response at all. (aka lurk)

Oh? And how do you expect to keep OT running if nobody posts anymore? This makes no sense unless you’re trying to keep new users off of OT.

- To be honest, you probably shouldn’t post until you’ve been lurking a couple of months.

Why? I started posting right away and I did fine, didn’t I? I don’t see why people should learn to know a community before joining it. People need to learn the rights and wrongs of a forum themselves.

Crap, dinner time. I’ll continue this later, Marh.

Flag Post

Helpful thread, (:

Flag Post

You should put in that you can link a picture using ! so we don’t have fifty new threads asking about it.

Flag Post
Originally posted by waffle_god:

You should put in that you can link a picture using ! so we don’t have fifty new threads asking about it.

Even though formatting help is to the right of the reply box.

Flag Post

We can add onto this, right?

- If you don’t know what something is, please try to look it up.

Flag Post

Go make a boat or something.

Flag Post

- Most memes are not funny. If you are not good at telling which memes are funny or not, then just stay away from them all together.

if some of them are used right, then they are sometimes funny

Flag Post

- The best response you can offer to a thread is often no response at all. (aka lurk)

That should only apply to spam threads, nobody posting would kill this forum.

- To be honest, you probably shouldn’t post until you’ve been lurking a couple of months.

Or, they could throw themselves right into it, being new doesn’t mean they’re useless, some new users that don’t lurk do okay in the forums.

- The edit button is right under your post count. Use it.

Especially instead of double posting.

- Don’t try to troll OT. People here are just enjoying themselves, and successfully trolling OT is ridiculously easy and not something to be proud of. If you’re going to troll, take it somewhere where it’s a bit more challenging (like away from Kongregate).

I find that insulting to OT’s intelligence, although I agree with you. However, some people enjoy reverse-trolling.
And can I point out that banning an alt as a “troll account” doesn’t make sense?

- This is not 4chan. The boards are not /1/, /2/, /3/ ect. (they don’t even appear that way in the URL). Discussing 4chan is perfectly fine, but there is no need to constantly greentext or brag about your endeavors in the glorious /b/, and how you are part of an evil, soulless group of hackers and mercenaries named “Anonymous”. And newfag is an annoying word, don’t use it.

We can greentext here?
/b/ isn’t evil, they aren’t soulless and they aren’t hackers.
/b/ is usually full of hipsters that enjoy “rate my cawk” threads while posting copypasta, anyone there that claims to be a “hacker” probably just clicked “forgot my password”

- Nobody really cares if somebody is underage; don’t make a big deal about it if you know somebody who his. On the other side of things, if you are underage you probably shouldn’t be here, so if you decide to stay don’t make any mention of your age.

Age is just a number, it matters how you act, not how tall you measure up to your dad.

- Spelling and grammar doesn’t matter very much if you can type like a normal person. Commenting on every little slip up is annoying and makes you much less likable than the person who made the error.

Being a grammar nazi is fine if it’s for a “you’re or your” mistake, right?

Most memes are overused and have lost all their value.

- Don’t get angry at other people. Remember that this is an internet forum. If somebody is trying to annoy you, remember they’ve got their own deprived reason for it and that you won’t get anything out of responding.

Some people may have anger issues, but I would like to say that if you get offended, just be offended since nothing happens.

- Read the stickies.

They need updating..

- Regs change over time. There is no classic group of regulars, because the group is constantly changing. This is just something you will have to learn to get used to.

Becoming a regular would be a waste of time, nobody should spend most of their life posting on Kongregate.

Flag Post

you need to sticky this

Flag Post

if some of them are used right, then they are sometimes funny

Keyword is most. Some are hilarious.

Oh, and I’m going to take the time to disprove all of this so we can have a nice argument, Marh.

Disprove is poor word choice.

And how do you expect to keep OT running if nobody posts anymore? This

Key word is ‘often’.

Why? I started posting right away and I did fine, didn’t I?

Uh, no. In terms of a track record you’ve turned out a disaster. You’ve had multiple accounts permabanned.

I don’t see why people should learn to know a community before joining it.

This is one that you don’t really have the right to argue, considering your history. You’re a good example of why one should lurk.

And this specific point isn’t worth arguing because it’s so obvious. It would be a waste of my time to explain it.

Flag Post

This is one that you don’t really have the right to argue, considering your history. You’re a good example of why one should lurk.

Funny, because his very first account he used and got to 2k posts with was account number 170176 or so – while mine is 130193 and yours is 22102. A long time lurker, easily.

Flag Post

Uh, no. In terms of a track record you’ve turned out a disaster. You’ve had multiple accounts permabanned.

I meant by being accepted in the community. I succeeded in that department. Oh, and my perma bans were thanks to a stubborn aC.

Funny, because his very first account he used and got to 2k posts with was account number 170176 or so – while mine is 130193 and yours is 22102. A long time lurker, easily.

Exactly. Thanks for pointing that out, Minnakht.

Flag Post

why do people need to fking fking be new to post on the formssa liike awhy seriosly i dont get this

Flag Post
Originally posted by darkelite111:

why do people need to fking fking be new to post on the formssa liike awhy seriosly i dont get this

Ensligh pealse?

Flag Post

This is because new people don’t know about the site, for example they might say “Hi” in a form or won’t understand, another example is you, look how you said it, kinda obvious, isn’t it…?

Flag Post
Originally posted by StuipdPtoser:

Ensligh pealse?

Flag Post

tanks about that i get now but wat abuot why you got to edit your post everya time speak//

Flag Post

tanks about that i get now but wat abuot why you got to edit your post everya time speak//

Seriously stop being a noob.

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator