Forums Off-topic

METAL HISTORY CHART

25 posts

Flag Post

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b7/Metal_Genealogy.jpg

This chart will tell everyone what catagory of “Metal” bands are in…

Flag Post

where the fuck is doom? drone? sludge? you cannot put Today Is The Day in the same category as Candlemass. Children of Bodom are fucking NOT thrash. opeth is not goth. i could go on endlessly.

fuck this chart.

Flag Post

This chart is so wrong.

Flag Post

I stopped consulting it as soon as I discovered that under “progressive” there are not listed “Genesis” nor “Marillion” (fish era). And that happened very soon!
Those two are considered the two that created the genre… even if this opinion is not universally accepted, you cannot ignore those two historical bands!
I cannot say anything on the rest since I’m not competent in other branches of metal.

Flag Post

‘genres’

Flag Post

Holy crap that chart is awful

Flag Post

I got it from a movie called “Metal: A Headbanger’s Journey”…o.o

Flag Post

and that movie sucked.

Flag Post

I thought it was okay. I liked the part about Gorgoroth and the other black metal bands…

Flag Post

Opeth and Paradise lost is goth?

This chart is reeeeeal fuckin gay.

Flag Post

haha it makes me laugh, looking at some of those names.

Flag Post

i didnt see Slayer in there and Slayer is definitley Metal

Flag Post

Slayer is in the “Thrash Metal” catagory

Flag Post

that charts fucked.

Flag Post

C.O.B thrash?….. I laugh at that chart, and how can Opeth be goth???? Goth is crap like Atreyu.

Flag Post

Goth is crap like Atreyu.

Wrong. Goth is Beseech, Type O Negative, etc. Atreyu are emo.

Flag Post

Wrong. Emo is Texas is the Reason, Sunny Day Real Estate, ect. Atreyu were metalcore now they are modern day glam rock.

Flag Post

Wrong. No you.

Flag Post

i say your chart is wrong!

1. it has no goregrind genre on it.

2. it has no avant-garde genre on it.

and has missed catagorized several bands and has called nu metal, metal.

Flag Post

2. it has no avant-garde genre on it.

Obviously you don’t know what avant-garde is about.

Flag Post

Avant-Garde metal. basicly it is experimental, that is what avant-garde basicly is.

Flag Post

Taken from the wikipedia definition of avante-garde metal

Avant-Garde Metal cannot be treated like other genres, such as Black, Death, Doom, Thrash, etc. Those genres are rooted in similar aesthetics and ideologies, leading to strong commonalities amongst bands united under one genre. With the Avant-Garde, on the other hand, there really is no common aesthetic or ideology. The bands have to be taken on a one-by-one basis, evaluated individually rather than on genre aesthetics.

Flag Post

I’m pretty sure genres, especially this finely divided, are as much a matter of opinion as anything else. If anyone’s going to be an authority on the subject surely it has to be the band who recorded it? Unless they’re going for the whole ‘We, like, don’t believe in labels man’ thing.

It just seems a silly thing to argue about is all. If you like it, listen to it. Who cares what it’s called?

Flag Post

Extreme genre definitions are a platform for musical elitism, is about it.

Flag Post

That is a terrible chart. Just looking at it makes me want to do one myself might do in a couple of weeks if I have the time. it would be quicker to do one myself than to point errors in that chart.

Also Bloodlust I would like to point out from many posts of yours I have seen your understanding of metal seems to be pretty weak.