Forums Off-topic

"A Puzzling Sort" or "What on earth are you doing Windows XP?"

13 posts

Flag Post

Ok, so this isn’t a “puzzle” like a riddle. It’s just something that’s confusing the hell out of me. I want you to try something (or a short list of somethings).

1. Create a new folder (or pick one you can make stuff in without messing something up).
2. Create 4 text files and name them “000n.txt”, “00n0.txt”, “0n00.txt” and “n000.txt”. Those are zeroes.
3. Now sort by name.
4. Post your results if they haven’t been posted already.

Ok, so, one would reasonably assume they’d be sorted in the order I just listed them, right? Yet, I don’t get that order. And in fact, I ran this experiment once before and got at least 3 different sorts of those files. Can anyone give a reasonable explanation for this? Does Linux or Mac have any similar issues?

Flag Post

For the record, I get:

00n0.txt
0n00.txt
000n.txt
n000.txt

Flag Post

Epic Windows XP Maneuver!

…sorry, I don’t have anything else to contribute.

Flag Post

Lol – a funny video though. :)

Flag Post

works how it should on a mac also i’m just curious why were you nameing somthing 000n and 00n0 and stuff
also i knew how to make that thingy in the video and if you want to know how heres a video that i didn’t make

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ykvUj7pUdA

Flag Post

I was naming various permutations of images of a guy sitting a 4 different positions at a table for use in a game. When I sorted them I noticed they went all wacky.

Flag Post

……………………
i,m going to petend i know what various permutations of images of a guy sitting in 4 different positions at a table means and say cool

Flag Post

It was an overhead view of a card table. Players were sitting at it, and it was a bad web game so instead of layering the images we just made lots of versions so that up to 4 people could sit anywhere. 000n meant there was one person sitting in the 4th seat. 0nn0 would mean 2 people sitting in 2nd and 3rd seats. This was not flash, so flash devs please don’t yell at me for being dumb. It wasn’t even really my game, I was just helping. Either way, it lead to me discovering this bizarre little error.

Flag Post

It… may.. have something to do with Microsoft trying to fix that problem where sorting things by name when working with non-padded numbers would result in this:

etc.

Flag Post

Hmm, I don’t think that’s quite it. Plus, last time I ran this trial I actually got other solutions from Windows XP people:

000n.txt
00n0.txt
0n00.txt
n000.txt

000n.txt
0n00.txt
00n0.txt
n000.txt

How bizarre is that?

Flag Post

gah….this dude literally broke the thread O_o

Flag Post

Phoenix, please don’t double post, the edit feature is there for a reason. Thank you.

Flag Post

Try this:

1) Create a new .txt document
2) Type in “this app can break”
3) Save, close
4) Reopen