Forums Off-topic

Computer Viruses? -- Help urgently needed

31 posts

Flag Post

As you could gleam from the title, I think I may have a computer virus.

I am writing this from my sibling’s laptop, because of the suspicion that I have a virus on mine.

Here’s the story:

My cousin downloaded something or another, and then deleted it. After that, the computer began running too slowly for me to even operate it. It would take five full minutes for it to boot up, and ten more before I could open up the internet. Now, if i close the internet, the icons are all gone, and they appear slowly one by one. Not to mention, random tabs/windows have been popping up on me since he downloaded that. (And yes, I’ve got adblockers, etc.)

So, do you guys think it’s a virus, or just a bad day?

If you do think it’s a virus, any tips on how to get rid of it (at preferably little to no cost)?

Please respond ASAP.

Flag Post

Get the Super Anti-Spyware Demo. It Helped with a virus my computer got.

If it’s not a virus, then he should do a computer cleanup.

Flag Post

i have NO idea, if my pc did that i would restore it to before the virus and then its gone =D

Flag Post

Ultimately: reformat. It’s something you should do once in awhile and it will make your computer run like new. :)

I regularly do so, since even normal maintenance is never enough. I’m due for a new one in fact.

EDIT: New format, not new computer. Context!

Flag Post

ADV, Spybot. Run full scans. Make 2 accounts and password yours. Make it so he can’t get on the Internet.

Problem solved.

Flag Post

I regularly do so, since even normal maintenance is never enough. I’m due for a new one in fact.

O_O aC getting a new pc?! OH NO NOW HE CAN BAN TWISE AS FAST! O_O

Flag Post

all i do usually is use norton which seems to work

Flag Post

[post deleted]

Flag Post

Ultimately: reformat.

I’m just a tad confused here; What does reformatting do, other than make the computer faster?

Also, how would I go about doing so?

Flag Post

Reformatting wipes everything. It’s like when its brand new, except sometimes better (some computers come with bloatware). You reinstall your OS, then reinstall your programs, run the updates and restore your personal files. It takes a little time to backup and restore what you need, but it beats everything out there as far as getting your computer to run properly.

If you have been infected with a virus or spyware, it is something you need to do at some point in the near future.

Flag Post

This is the first time you’ve ever gotten a virus?

Flag Post

aC i find reformatting really a pain in the behind, thats why my pc has this cool “reformat & files” which does the reformat, and keeps my files, which is awesome =D

444 posts now i am 2/3 evil =D

Flag Post

Do remember to make a backup of all your needed files by burnign them on a dvd or copying on a flash or something before you format, because formatting deletes ALL the filles on your PC.

Flag Post

I had a similar issue except it only executed when I opened a window to view the control panel and whenever I tried to access files through the windows GUI. I ended up figuring out that if I ran the machine in safemode (prior to this I found some random executable after doing a web search I don’t know how i found it in the first place though…) and deleted it through the command prompt. Solved my problem. It was actually kinda exciting, :D.

Flag Post

yes, it’s the first time I’ve ever gotten a virus.

Also, aC, the thing is, I don’t have the CD for the programs (OS, Microsoft Office, etc.) =/

I really hope I can find a way to fix my computer; It’s really my favorite possession.

Flag Post

Take a look on your harddrive for an “I386” folder. That’s generally where the manufacturer puts the install files for any OEM software they bundle with the machine.

Flag Post

It’s really my favorite possession.

That’s where I keep my Kongregates

Flag Post

Even so, I wish more than anything I could go back to normal. I just want to erase the virus, not everything else on my machine. My father’s not here, and he’s usually the one that helps me with the tech stuff. So, if I mess up, I’m pretty much screwed.

Flag Post

try searching for some anti-virus software its quite useful sometines

Flag Post

I’ve never had a virus, but it sounds like your computer is more slow than that. But considering that your cousin downloaded this crap, it could very well be a virus.

Flag Post

As I stated, my internet does not work on the virus-infected computer. =/

I’m really at a complete loss as to what to do. ;_;

Flag Post

Download a virus to counter it.That’s so crazy it just might work.

Flag Post

how about downloading it on your cousins laptop and then transferring it to your pc by card or disk

Flag Post

I don’t even know if I can do that. I don’t even know if my computer is fast enough to handle a program, or a thumb drive/disc.

Flag Post

oh well I’m out of ideas then