Forums Off-topic

Computer Viruses? -- Help urgently needed page 2

31 posts

Flag Post

just run a couple of antivirus scans and see if anything comes up

and slap your cousin.

Flag Post

How do I run an antivirus scan? X_X I honestly don’t want to go digging through things on my computer, I want to know exactly how to do something, because i’ll be there for half an hour. If Ii don’t know how, I’ll be there for HOURS.

Flag Post

Sounds like you need someone over there who knows what they are doing.

What you need to understand is that if you want something to be fixed, it will take effort or at least someone who’s experienced. You can’t say “I want help” but “I don’t want to do this or that”. Viruses cause problems for everyone, such is why they are a pain. It’s not a pleasant experience and it’s not going to be fixed by snapping your fingers; you have to take certain steps. If you don’t want to spend hours on it, find someone who can do it faster.

As far as running a virus scan: Open or install an antivirus program and run it. It’s pretty easy. There are free programs out there (AVG free for instance) and plenty of information on the net about what to do; you just gotta spend some time googling, installing, etc.

Flag Post

Stop downloading pron

Flag Post

Some helpful links: http://free.avg.com/ (AVG Free) http://www.safer-networking.org/index2.html (Spybot Search and Destroy, for Spyware).

Alternatively, you can do a clean boot to see if that removes the virus from running on your computer. It could be a virus targeting winboot.exe or a different program that is loaded up into startup. To perform a clean boot, Start > Run > type “msconfig”. Click “services”, check Hide All Microsoft Services, click Disable All, and then reboot your computer.

EDIT: If that doesn’t work, you can perform a System Recovery, which puts your system configuration back to a date of your choice. To do that, go into msconfig using the same instructions as before, then under General tab click Launch System Restore.

Flag Post

Thank you, xyzzy, very detailed response, I’ll try that. :)