Forums Off-topic

Health & Fitness page 4

2190 posts

Flag Post
Originally posted by TheGoldenHammer:

I only shaved it because I had to for a competition, =P But yeah, that’s the kind of warm-ups I have my classes do in the dojo too. Sounds like he had the right idea, : D

Very nice. How long have you been doing power-lifting?

Flag Post

20 years, on-and-off. I was in the Military for quite some time, and was focused on raising my children for quite a long time, too. But I’ve been in Powerlifting for 20 years, and Strongman for about 18 years. Now that my children are full-grown and capable, I’ve been re-dedicating myself to my sports career, and have been very successful these past few years.

Flag Post

aww, what competitions make you shave?
He did have the right idea, just new people had to do that as well which is too much for most. The problem with it for me was most of those exercises are all about legs, I have strong ones but somethings wrong with them now so I have less endurance then I used to.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Ayumi_Stocking:

aww, what competitions make you shave?
He did have the right idea, just new people had to do that as well which is too much for most. The problem with it for me was most of those exercises are all about legs, I have strong ones but somethings wrong with them now so I have less endurance then I used to.

Yeah, that’s a big factor when you’re a business owner and you’re developing “Routine exercises”, it’s always important to take into consideration eveyrone’s levels of fitness, and how new people (who may be overweight and under-qualified) will feel about STAYING in it. Even though workouts like that are great and can be beneficial, it can also be very harmful to the body (a “system shock” basically) I fix that problem by having assistant coaches, and having them do routines (designed for the beginners and/or people looking to lose weight) while I work with the others.

And Strongman. It was a local one, and the guy said I didn’t have to do it because I was a celebrity, but the other guys did. I didn’t like that, so I did it anyway.

Flag Post
Originally posted by TheGoldenHammer:

20 years, on-and-off. I was in the Military for quite some time, and was focused on raising my children for quite a long time, too. But I’ve been in Powerlifting for 20 years, and Strongman for about 18 years. Now that my children are full-grown and capable, I’ve been re-dedicating myself to my sports career, and have been very successful these past few years.

What military branch?

Flag Post

By the way, does anyone here do isometrics?

They are my main form of strength building exercise, as well as a bit of Dynamic resistance.

Flag Post

This thread needs to be stickied. Somewhere.

Flag Post
Originally posted by yarga7:

This thread needs to be stickied. Somewhere.

I actually agree, or at least its own forum section. “Health and Fitness”

Flag Post

Health & Fitness: A subject developed to make American schools feel bad about themselves.

Flag Post

There are threads that deserve to be stickied a lot more.
The MLP thread, for example. It is the biggest thread on the whole forum, after all.
And a Health and Fitness subforum while we don’t have MLP/Anime/Music ones, which are relevant to a much larger portion of Kong?
Tough luck.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Omnicide:

There are threads that deserve to be stickied a lot more.
The MLP thread, for example. It is the biggest thread on the whole forum, after all.
And a Health and Fitness subforum while we don’t have MLP/Anime/Music ones, which are relevant to a much larger portion of Kong?
Tough luck.

Good point, I guess.
But there is a Music subforum…..

Flag Post

It’s been gone since June.

Flag Post
Originally posted by ArcadianFire:

It’s been gone since June.

D: Oh god, why?

It wasn’t taking up much bandwidth or space….they should have let it live.

Flag Post

It was being ‘misused’.
The Music forum’s originally purpose was to allow users to share music they wrote and recorded.
People were discussing actual music written by famous musicians.
Technically, that’s misusing it, so they took it down.
I would have rather had change the description to ‘Discuss Music Here’, but they wouldn’t do that.
O’well.

Flag Post

ground forces, Yarga. And I myself do kind of wish there was a Health & Fitness Forum on Kong, but I’m not complaining by any means, this is easily doable. : )

Originally posted by yarga7:

By the way, does anyone here do isometrics?

They are my main form of strength building exercise, as well as a bit of Dynamic resistance.

Isometrics aren’t bad at all, they can even be pretty beneficial to people who are using them correctly.

Flag Post

I’ll have to post my full workout sometime and get some critiquing.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Trickymist98:

I’ll have to post my full workout sometime and get some critiquing.

Or some applause! It’s completely possible you’re doing nothing wrong. Either way, post it!

Flag Post

Exercise Tip

The Military/Overhead Lift

If you’re new to it, use lighter weight than you think you should.

Grab the barbell from the power rack or lift it from the floor

The bar now should rest on the tip of your breast bone with arms fully flexed ready to push the bar. The arm grip should be wider than your shoulders, as variants you can get the grip closer together and close the gap to work more triceps but as a start do it with wider-than-shoulders-grip.

Have a complete grip on the bar, your thumb should wrap around it.

Lift the bar slowly until elbows are locked overhead. Once arms are fully extended, lean forward with your head ever so slightly (this targets the shoulders a little more, as well as flexors in your neck)

Lower the bar the same way you raised it, but don’t bend the arms too much like on the starting position.

If you need, you may also do a little “push” with your legs. You can do this by bending at the knee slightly, then “exploding” into the lift with your entire body. Don’t do this too quickly, though, as it could expose you to injury.

Flag Post

For those of you who don’t know what one is……………

((((THE BURPEE))))

1. Assume a standing position

2. Drop into a squat.

3. Shoot out your legs while putting your arms under you to support yourself. You should now be in a pushup position.

4.Shoot your legs back under yourself.

5. JUMP into the air.

Rinse and repeat.

I am not sure if others do the jumping part, that’s how I was taught.

Flag Post

When I’m playing bass I jump up and down, and wall-jump. I also carry the actual guitar with one hand during easy solos.
That’s fitness, right?

Flag Post

I do nothing and I’m still muscular and skinny. :3 Doesn’t matter how much I eat, I stay the same. Guess I’m lucky.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Priffadas:

When I’m playing bass I jump up and down, and wall-jump. I also carry the actual guitar with one hand during easy solos.
That’s fitness, right?

Please tell me you wear sunglasses indoors.

Originally posted by L_Deathnote:

I do nothing and I’m still muscular and skinny. :3 Doesn’t matter how much I eat, I stay the same. Guess I’m lucky.

High metabolism ftw!

Flag Post

High metabolism ftw!

It helps that I’m tall and broad but I’m fucked when I hit my 20’s/30’s. Weights gonna hit me like a motherfucker xD

Flag Post
Originally posted by L_Deathnote:

High metabolism ftw!

It helps that I’m tall and broad but I’m fucked when I hit my 20’s/30’s. Weights gonna hit me like a motherfucker xD

Hit it back. With biceps.

Flag Post

Tip of the day? Large tires make GREAT training equipment for any sport!