Forums Off-topic

Health & Fitness page 47

2160 posts

Flag Post

Are you a War Pig?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Hallucent:

Speaking of creatine (which I’m consuming right now), I just finished a few exercises of my own design.

I combined Up-Downs with a kettlebell Snatch. After I go down, I grab the bell and shoot up into a Snatch. I did this for 3 minutes with a 25 pound bell.
1 min exercise, 1 min rest, 1 min exercise, 1 min rest, 1 min exercise.

Immediately following, I did 4 minutes of kettlebell Swings, alternating arms every 30 seconds.

Not bad! I think you should try doing 10 Clean and Jerks, immediately followed by 10 burpees. Lemme know how it feels, dude!

Originally posted by Varluxio:

Are you a War Pig?

I so am. God, I am. I love Sabbath

Flag Post

What’s your opinion on the Starting Strength and Madcow’s 5×5 program?

Flag Post

I need to start swinging heavier bells. Im getting good fat loss, but not as much muscle gain as I had hoped.

Btw, the clean&jerks and burpees went well.

Flag Post

I’m the healthiest fat person I know.

Flag Post

I need to start swinging heavier bells. Im getting good fat loss, but not as much muscle gain as I had hoped.

Btw, the clean&jerks and burpees went well.

Good! I like to do 3 sets of 10 C&J @ 200 LBS immediately followed up by 10 burpees. Once all ten of both are done, that’s a set. It gets brutal without rest.

Originally posted by Pseudoephedrine:

What’s your opinion on the Starting Strength and Madcow’s 5×5 program?

I’m not educated enough on Starting Strength to properly evaluate it’s efficiency, and I’ve never heard of Madcow 5×5. I’ll post in the future after I’ve studied a little on both programs.

Originally posted by MrWiggles49:

I’m the healthiest fat person I know.

/fistbump

Also, here’s a good photo of my brother and I. (Unrelated, just pic updates.)

Flag Post

Are you an Iron Man?

Flag Post

I have a 50-pound bell on order. It should be here within a week.

Let’s see how it goes.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Varluxio:

Are you an Iron Man?

So am.

I have a 50-pound bell on order. It should be here within a week.

Let’s see how it goes.

Nice!

Flag Post

Not sure if either of these are endorsed by TheGoldenHammer, but I’m here to post a review of a few products:

Skogg System

The Skogg System is an entirely kettlebell-based workout program. Split up into 12 weeks, it utilizes a total of 6 different exercises in various forms (Roots, Ladders, Intervals, and Flow). I followed this program through the entire duration, and I have to say I’m very satisfied.

My average heart rate has gone down, I’ve lost fat, and gained lots of visible muscle. Not to mention that my endurance has gone through the roof. This is all with a fairly light bell. I’m thinking about completing the course again with a heavier weight, to see what kind of results I get.

I’d give this program a 10/10. It is well worth the $95 for set of DVD’s (plus the cost of a kettlebell that works for you). If you take the time to do the exercises properly, and stick with the program for the allotted 12 weeks, you will not be disappointed. I promise.

Lipo 6

Lipo 6 is a fat-burning supplement that I recently started taking. It is a brilliant appetite suppressor. I’m never hungry at all until it gets to the point my stomach starts growling. This is great, since I don’t crave a bunch of random junk food. I now eat entirely health-conscious meals at the appropriate time. I imagine this product would be excellent for people who have trouble curbing their appetite, and who need to lessen the amount of calories they are taking in.
I still consume about 2300 calories per day, but almost none of it is junk. I have the ability to eat what I know is good for me, and at the appropriate times. A good product, if used properly.

The 2 main ingredients are Yohimbine and Caffeine (lots of it). This stuff will get you JACKED the first few days you take it. Be careful as to not take them before bedtime.

It costs about $30 for a 1-month supply. Not bad. I would be willing to buy more if I continue to get good results out of it.

These are just a couple of products that I used. I may review more.

Flag Post

Both are pretty good items, Hallu. Good reviews : )

Flag Post

I got a question…
Okay, when I was working out a lot and motivated, I had a low blood pressure (100/55), and I lost most of my motivation and haven’t worked out in a while and gained a pound or two and my blood pressure’s still low (110/64), shouldn’t it be higher? I’m glad it isn’t, but shouldn’t it be high right now?

Flag Post

This thread is such a joke to me. (mostly due to the pictures here)

Flag Post

Pls exp
ain this to me. I hhave always been a healthy cycling at the very least a quater of an hour a day. The last two years, on average 1.5hours aday only to school. However, three months ago, I broke my nose, and wasnt allowed to sport for two months. I did not gain any weight over that period. Now i have started to sport again, and have gained weight. How come, but one thing for sure, i haven’t lost any muscles, just to be clear.

Flag Post

You lost muscle mass and it was replaced with fat, but you didn’t know it because it was not very noticeable. Then when you started working out again, you built up your muscles.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Eelee:

I got a question…
Okay, when I was working out a lot and motivated, I had a low blood pressure (100/55), and I lost most of my motivation and haven’t worked out in a while and gained a pound or two and my blood pressure’s still low (110/64), shouldn’t it be higher? I’m glad it isn’t, but shouldn’t it be high right now?

Not necessarily – lack of activity doesn’t always mean you’ll have high blood-pressure, blood-pressure mostly involves

- Diet
- Level of activity
- In some cases clothing

Exercising properly, over time especially, can naturally raise your blood-pressure. Drinking more water daily, and in some cases salted water can also help productive blood flow. Not that you necessarily need to do any of these, just a few options in case you’re honestly looking to raise it in the future.

In my opinion, if you feel okay daily, and aren’t suffering consistently from symptoms that can point to a weakened immune system such as a cold, sore throat, constant heavy coughing, etc. then you should be fine.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Someguyinworld:

This thread is such a joke to me. (mostly due to the pictures here)

Aw, why?

Originally posted by Alxje2themax:

Pls exp
ain this to me. I hhave always been a healthy cycling at the very least a quater of an hour a day. The last two years, on average 1.5hours aday only to school. However, three months ago, I broke my nose, and wasnt allowed to sport for two months. I did not gain any weight over that period. Now i have started to sport again, and have gained weight. How come, but one thing for sure, i haven’t lost any muscles, just to be clear.

It’s very possible your body started storing the calories you were taking in while recovering for two months – cycling burns an immense amount of calories, especially if done over a medium-to-long period of time. Caloric storage probably increased due to the lack of strainuous activity your body was so used to. Your body just didn’t know what to do with the calories once you stopped cycling for awhile, basically.

I’d give it a little while and see how it works out, it happens to all of us sometimes. it doesn’t mean a loss of muscle, just an increased caloric storage (which results in small “fat pockets” or increased weight temporarily)

Keep at it!

Flag Post
Originally posted by TheGoldenHammer:

I got a question…

Not necessarily – lack of activity doesn’t always mean you’ll have high blood-pressure, blood-pressure mostly involves

- Diet
- Level of activity
- In some cases clothing

Exercising properly, over time especially, can naturally raise your blood-pressure. Drinking more water daily, and in some cases salted water can also help productive blood flow. Not that you necessarily need to do any of these, just a few options in case you’re honestly looking to raise it in the future.

In my opinion, if you feel okay daily, and aren’t suffering consistently from symptoms that can point to a weakened immune system such as a cold, sore throat, constant heavy coughing, etc. then you should be fine.

Thanks! I haven’t been suffering from anything like you said at the bottom, though my diet really isn’t the best, and I wear comfortable clothes, though I haven’t got a good workout in 4 or 5 weeks. Though I guess it’s good my blood pressure isn’t high.

Flag Post
Originally posted by TheGoldenHammer:

I got a question…

- Diet
- Level of activity
- In some cases clothing

Thanks! I haven’t been suffering from anything like you said at the bottom, though my diet really isn’t the best, and I wear comfortable clothes, though I haven’t got a good workout in 4 or 5 weeks. Though I guess it’s good my blood pressure isn’t high.

There’s a dietary health thread in the OP of this thread, in case you’re ever curious about what kind of ingredients you should look for : )

Flag Post

I forgot to mention:

A side effect of Lipo 6 that I noticed is that it kills your sex drive for about 2 hours after taking it, which I found to be odd considering it’s a stimulant.

Flag Post

I forgot to mention:

A side effect of Lipo 6 that I noticed is that it kills your sex drive for about 2 hours after taking it, which I found to be odd considering it’s a stimulant.

I’ve heard that about quite a few stimulants, surprisingly.

Flag Post

Guess what I found, hammer

uploaded it to your photobucket btw

Flag Post

Does anyone know a good workout that burns a very high amount of calories and doesn’t need complex equipment?
I have some dumbbells and a stationary bike. That’s it, really. And I need to burn lots of calories, like 600 in one hour. Can it be done?

Flag Post

Does anyone know a good workout that burns a very high amount of calories and doesn’t need complex equipment?
I have some dumbbells and a stationary bike. That’s it, really. And I need to burn lots of calories, like 600 in one hour. Can it be done?

Burpees and it’s variations, as well as push-ups, jumping jack variations, stationary jogging, dumbbell exercise variations

Burpee Variations

As soon as you finish the push-up section of the Burpee, instead of standing up, separate your feet into a straddle position – your feet should be far apart, and your rear will be in the air.

Do burpees below a bar or surface that can be used for pull-ups, as soon as you jump up, instead of clapping your hands you can clasp onto a pull-up bar, do a pull up, then drop back down to the rest of the burpee.

Strafing burpees are simple – do a regular burpee, but the jump should take you at least two feet in one direction. You can go back and forth if you want.

6 minutes on the stationary bike at a comfortable speed is good rest in between exercises, too.

Some dumbbell variations are

Hammer Curls – doing curls with the dumbbells held vertically.
Twisting curl – your standard curl where you “twist” your wrist slightly as you bring it up.
Lateral Raises – Raise the dumbbells out to your side until your arms are in a “T” position with your body – you can bend your elbows if necessary.
Front Dumbbell Raises – Very similar to the lateral raise. Just raise the dumbbells out in front of you – I personally recommend swinging very little, if at all, and only doing one arm at a time. You can switch back and forth if you want.

Just a few simple ideas.

Flag Post
Originally posted by AerodynamicCamel:

Guess what I found, hammer

uploaded it to your photobucket btw

Holy shit, I took that picture. I can’t believe you found that! Epic. A truly perspective-changing trip. I love the photos you uploaded, too. The best ones IMO. I think all of them except for one were taken by me.