Forums Off-topic

Something aside from Top Ramen. (Le gasp!)

71 posts

Flag Post

EDIT : Part 2 of Health & Fitness

What’s up, ladies and gentlemen? Hammer here, offering a list of great, tasty foods that can easily help you maintain a healthy, functioning kongbod!

I’m a moderator and fitness guru on a few international Health & Fitness forums, and can understand the sometimes overlooked necessity of eating properly. I also happen to come from a dirt cheap family, so I can understand not having the finances to buy all that fancy sounding stuff that even I have trouble pronouncing.

So, what I’ve done (and had done for a few years) is I’ve compiled a list of 12 cheap ingredients that are high in lean, quality protein and high in soluble fiber! Both of which are vital for a healthy metabolism, which is supreme for things like weight loss and just feeling pretty badass.

You want to make an effort to consume high quality protein and fiber in your meals (at LEAST sometimes!). A supportive eating system, rich in lean protein is very crucial for numerous reasons. Protein is essential for repairing, building, and preserving your muscle. Of course, the more muscle that you can keep and build, the higher your metabolism (though everyone’s body does indeed react differently, this is generally the case). In addition, protein is needed for the production of important hormones and enzymes.

However, one of the biggest reasons why protein plays a big role in your supportive eating is because protein does not spike your sugar level up. The more your blood sugar is steady, the more fat your body can release to be utilize as energy.

Protein is hard for your body to break down causing up to 20% thermic effect compared to carbohydrates and fat. What does that mean? When you consume protein, 20% of the total protein calories are used just to break down the protein into small chains of amino acids. That is extremely important to help boost your metabolism.

Here are 12 GREAT sources of lean quality protein, in no particular order.

1. White egg omelets (hard boiled eggs)
2. Lean skinless chicken and turkey (white meat)
3. Wild Salmon
4. Lean beef
5. Tuna
6. Lean Pork
7. Sardines
8. Skim milk
9. Cottage Cheese (Fat Free)
10. Beans, nuts, legumes
11. Soy (Tofu)
12. Cornbread stuffing! (or a similar type of stuffing, easily bought from wal mart or a superstore)

Moving on to fiber!

Adding fiber into your meals is crucial for overall heath. Fiber (soluble) absorbs water making your feel fuller and for much longer time. For example, plain oatmeal is high in soluble fiber with attract water to keep you satisfied for hours. However, eating cereal that is high in sugar and low fiber causes you to get hungry very quickly. Insoluble fiber help move the food faster through the stomach and intestines to prevent constipation and other mishaps, and even sometimes disease. It is recommended to consume about 25-35 grams of fiber per day.

Like I said earlier, you must make an effort to consume lean protein in almost every meal. But you also want your supportive eating to be rich in high fiber food. The list below are foods that are high in fiber and packed in vitamins, minerals, and fiber that are essential muscle building, fat burning meal.

Again, in no particular order!

1. Broccoli
2. Spinach
3. Yellow and red peppers
4. Cauliflower
5. Kale
6. Sweet potatoes
7. Brown rice
8. Plain Oatmeal
9. Tomatoes
10. Berries (extremely high in antioxidants)
11. Bananas (my simple carbohydrates after working out.)
12. Legumes, beans, nuts

NOTE : Beans, nuts and legumes are POWERFOODS. Meaning they’re high in both lean quality protein AND fiber. I recommend personally taking in 3 half cups of beans a day! (Garbanzo/Lintel/15 bean soup/etc) Beans are also supremely efficient for cleaning out bile in your system, and helping keep your filter system/liver functioning smoothly and efficiently!

I’ve got a CHALLENGE for you forum-goers out there.

Part 1 – I want you to make three square meals (by “make” I mean type em’ out here) with the ingredients (Not every ingredient has to be used in every meal, but by the end of the day every ingredient should be!) I listed that you think would be great put together (sauces/spices are allowed) and post em’ here on this topic!

Part 2 – I want you to MAKE your meal in real life! Snap a photo if you want, but you don’t have to by any means!

Flag Post

Three meals a day:

Breakfast: Eat 5 lbs of beans
Lunch: Eat 10 lbs of beans
Dinner: eat 5 lbs of beans

SINCE BEANS ARE POWERFOODS, YOU CAN BE HEALTHY BY EATING NOTHING BUT THEM

Flag Post
Originally posted by mafefefe:

Three meals a day:

Breakfast: Eat 5 lbs of beans
Lunch: Eat 10 lbs of beans
Dinner: eat 5 lbs of beans

SINCE BEANS ARE POWERFOODS, YOU CAN BE HEALTHY BY EATING NOTHING BUT THEM

Almost, yeah! I wouldn’t recommend that many, obviously! But in all seriousness, the best way to slip by with a healthy filter system/functioning liver (which beans are supreme for, too!) I’d recommend three to six half-cups of beans a day. :)

Flag Post

Lots of spaghetti!

Flag Post

CHALLENGE REJECTED!

Flag Post

SUPERGASP!

Flag Post

ACCEPTED! This is going into dinner tonight :-)
)

Flag Post

I eat whatever I want whenever I want.

Flag Post

You have come to OT! WOO!

Flag Post
Originally posted by EndlessSporadic:

You have come to OT! WOO!

Yep! FREE STRENGTH AND JOY FOR EVERYONE!

Flag Post

A lot of these foods seem to also lack saturated fats.

I don’t know much (anything, actually) about cooking with sardines or kale…

Also, I’ve never had Lintel/15 bean soup/anything like that D: I am, again, NOT like yogurt :x

Perhaps you have some suggestions/links to recipes?

Thanks for your time!

(brofist)

Flag Post
Originally posted by Kerusso:

A lot of these foods seem to also lack saturated fats.

I don’t know much (anything, actually) about cooking with sardines or kale…

Also, I’ve never had Lintel/15 bean soup/anything like that D: I am, again, NOT like yogurt :x

Perhaps you have some suggestions/links to recipes?

Thanks for your time!

(brofist)

I’d look at Wal-mart, where other bean packages would be. Most 15-bean soup packages contain northern, pinto, large lima, blackeye, garbanzo, baby lima, green split pea, kidney, cranberry, small white, pink, small red, yellow split pea, lentil, navy, white kidney and black beans, as well as a nifty recipe on the bag itself!

1 big ham bone (I use ham hocks myself, but that’s up to you. Adds great flavor)
1 large onion, chopped
(my own flare) 2 smoked sausages, diced.
1 teaspoon chili powder
Juice of a lemon (don’t skip this)
1 – 2 cloves garlic, minced (I used a tablespoon from a jar)
SPICE PACKET – I ignore this, usually.

NIGHT BEFORE: Rinse the beans and pick out any dried beans. Cover with 2 quarts of water and leave to soak overnight. The beans will expand about 3X so be sure your pot is big enough. Drain the water.

DAY OF: Put the beans in a very large pot or Dutch oven. Cover with two quarts of new water. Add the ham bone (or whatever you’re using) and onion. (The bag says to add the onion just a half hour before serving. To my taste, the onion was completely raw like that.) Bring to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer for 2 1/2 hours. If a kind of scummy foam rises to the top, scrape it off with a slotted spoon and discard.

Add the smoked sausage, garlic, chili powder and lemon juice and let simmer for another 30 – 60 minutes. At this point, Mary some times adds a can of drained and rinsed beans.

Very low in saturated fat, very high in lean protein per serving (around 12 grams, my estimate) good amount of fiber, large amount of flavor, and only ONE weight-watchers point. You can make it with two bags if you want, and adjust the ingredients appropriately. They’re CHEAP, they have lots of LEFTOVERS, and they’re HEALTHY while tasting BADASS.

Flag Post

Tonight, from the list, I am cooking marmite chicken with mixed beans in a bed of spinach.

Flag Post

Yum! Good job!!

Flag Post

Salmon and tuna/egg mix, with the remnants of yesterday’s veg and a splash of soy sauce:

Flag Post

Looks like a Zamininc thread.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Kazan_Epic:

I eat whatever I want whenever I want.

This.

Flag Post
Originally posted by TheRoflWaffle:

Looks like a Zamininc thread.

Except for you know…the op being fit, having good advice, being a mod, not being annoying, etc.

Flag Post

wat is top ramen

edit Oh. Well aren’t I a bright one.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Bilious:

Salmon and tuna/egg mix, with the remnants of yesterday’s veg and a splash of soy sauce:

Great job! Looks yum!

Flag Post

wapanese noobs think u so coll eating wapchong food

Flag Post

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o135/Dislogical/Picture23.jpg

That looks disgusting

Flag Post

Keep up the good work, Bilious!

Flag Post
Originally posted by TheGoldenHammer:
Originally posted by Bilious:

Great job! Looks yum!

That does look great. But maybe less beans, some peas, and more corn. And some gravy mix in there. The rice also seems slightly off-colour? Also, beans and rice?

Flag Post

An actual thread I took pictures of to use for later use? Nice thread Hammer :3 I’ll make sure to incorporate them into my diet; I already eat 5 of the first 12 and 6 of the second 12. I hope to use all of them in this month to prepare my body for the binge eating at thanksgiving :D