Forums Off-topic

Why Call of Duty games are horrible

94 posts

Flag Post

This thread is about why Call of Duty sucks, obviously enough.

campaign

levels: the levels consist basically of running up to cover, shooting enemies, and moving on. and everything is preordained, enemies will walk here to this cover, shoot at the player, they will die and the player moves on. and all of said enemies are exactly the same.
options: More the lack of options than options. you rarely get vehicles and never have a choice to use them or not, and what you can do is very limited, and vehicle levels feel half baked and are just a way to make it less repetitive. in say, Halo, if there’s an enemy tank you can hijack it, if theres a jeep you can hijack it, if you want to go on foot good for you.
enemies: all enemies are exactly the same, weak and with a low AI, and no bosses. In rainbow six and the ghost recon games there are much more intelligent enemies then this. and harder modes just make the enemies do more damage, an artificial difficulty enhancement that can be countered by staying in cover longer.
story:most CoD games lack any story or any memorable characters, they are exclusive to the Modern Warfare trilogy, and not even that good.
weapons: the only option you have, what weapon to kill with. most will do the job equally well, though, and Aim Down Sight makes all weapons precision weapons at the cost of movement speed, so there is little difference.

the reason people play Call of Duty, the online functionality.
unbalanced: if you take two guns of the same type, then you can easily say which is better. Furthermore, their is no level filter of any sort, so people play against people their own level. 6 level ones could easily go up against 7 level 50s.
community:the horrible community of CoD. filled with annoying 12 year olds who love yelling out obscenities(think that’s the word), racial/sexual slurs, and being general D-bags who’s moms should wash their mouths out with soap. And don’t forget what poorsports they are, kill someone with a better weapon or by camping and they’ll say something like, “camper * play the game right noob”, or call you a hacker after getting killed repeatedly.

other

It’s made by Activision, the second most greedy game company ever.
hardly any changes from one entry to the next, a horde mode clone and pointstreaks instead of killstreaks isn’t worth $60.
I think I’ve said enough. If someone can argue against this with a logical arguement, I welcome you to try. Also, many CoD fans say that the campaigns are always different so the game is not repetitive

note. I don’t mean so much CoD is horrible, it’s OK, but not up to the standards I hold other big titles to, and is the worst of the big games. Battlefield might be worse, but I don’t know. I wouldn’t be so critical of the series if it A) didn’t make so much money, B) wasn’t released yearly, and C) if Activision wasn’t such a greedy publisher, seriously, they rival the greed of EA. But it has a couple good things in that it has good controls, a fun survival mode, and is a good game for friends to play together. but aside from CoD4, it’s no hugely awesome 9+ great game.

Flag Post

I don’t see why you would get flamed.
This basically sums up why CoD games are one of the worst games out there but the most successful, money wise.

Flag Post

because of the CoD fans, who are fanatical followers of the all powerful (greedy) Activision.

Flag Post

But I enjoyed Black Ops and Roads to Victory.
Haven’t played any other CoD games, but I intend on starting WaW soon.

Flag Post

The only good CoD game that I actually enjoyed was WaW.

Flag Post

good CoD game that I actually enjoyed

Why didn’t you enjoy the other good ones?
And if you thought they were good, why did you not enjoy them?

Flag Post

i think cod is the worst of its genre. im not a fan of fps and dont play them, but ive seen enough videos of all the “modern” fps games to have an opinion of it.

Flag Post

Call of duty sucks because captain Price from call of duty 2 wasn’t in the future games.
Just like Sonic Generations sucks because you can’t play as Shadow.

Flag Post
i think cod is the worst of its genre

agreed.

Flag Post

The only CoD I actually enjoyed playing was United Offensive.

Flag Post

but ive seen enough videos of all the “modern” fps games to have an opinion of it.

Honestly it’s hard to form an accurate opinion of a game without playing it, unless it’s something like Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing. You should play it before you make an opinion.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Pokarnor:

but ive seen enough videos of all the “modern” fps games to have an opinion of it.

Honestly it’s hard to form an accurate opinion of a game without playing it, unless it’s something like Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing. You should play it before you make an opinion.

true.

Flag Post

Because there are no other good ones.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Casper_D:

You just said there were.

Flag Post

i completely disagree with this statement. playing a game is not required to have a very strong opinion of the game. all i need is a 10-15 minute video of gameplay and ill have a very good idea of what i think of it. been doing it for years and its basically 100% reliable.

in the old days, you needed to rent a game to get an idea of what it was. these days, all i need is to find a youtube gameplay video and ill know what i need to know.

i NEVER buy a game anymore without watching gameplay video. i consider it absolutely essential to making good purchase decisions. i never regret my decision once ive bought a game because i knew that i would like it based on the video i watched.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Casper_D:

You just said there were.

No, I said WaW was the only good CoD game.
Kinda.
Well, that was what I was trying to say. I wasn’t trying to imply there were other good ones.

Flag Post

Well, I’m glad that works for you, bobby, but it doesn’t work for me.

Flag Post

CoD can be fun if you know how to play it well.
I still find the gameplay incredibly boring though.

Flag Post

If I had more time, I would argue with you.

But I don’t, so I’ll say this.

Gaming, as with almost every form of media, is a matter of taste. One person may despise Call of Duty and one person may love it. Problems arise when someone thinks “Why, I hate Call of Duty! That means all who like it are just ignorant sheep/immature morons/imbeciles getting tricked!” when it’s just that they are too self-centered and immature to understand the concept of opinion.

Flag Post
Originally posted by HappyYay:

If I had more time, I would argue with you.

But I don’t, so I’ll say this.

Gaming, as with almost every form of media, is a matter of taste. One person may despise Call of Duty and one person may love it. Problems arise when someone thinks “Why, I hate Call of Duty! That means all who like it are just ignorant sheep/immature morons/imbeciles getting tricked!” when it’s just that they are too self-centered and immature to understand the concept of opinion.

this is true. i happen to think cod is not a very good game, but it offers what the target audience wants(which is mostly teens) the reason they keep remaking the same game ever year is because people keep buying it. there have been very few differences as the series has gone along, but the developers know that many people are comfortable with the current formula.

cant hate the developers, can only blame the players who for liking cod so much that it keeps getting remade.

Flag Post

Call of Duty isn’t a bad series.
The game is enjoyable when partying with a group of people, mainly the less competitive, friendlier ones.
If you’re playing that game solo, then you’re severely doing it wrong.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Hunkadunkus:

The game is enjoyable when partying with a group of people, mainly the less competitive, friendlier ones.

Actually Call of duty 1 and Modern warfare 1 is great.

Flag Post
Originally posted by GotterakaThing:
Originally posted by Hunkadunkus:

Actually Call of duty 1 and Modern warfare 1 is great.

Solo? I can’t play those games solo…
I’m a Xbox party person, myself~

Flag Post

The only CoD game I ever really played a lot of and had fun was Call of Duty 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq4voeNuWEY This thread reminded me of that video.

Flag Post

hardly any changes from one entry to the nect, a survival mode and pointstreaks isn’t worth my hard earned $60.

Somebody give this man a medal.