Forums Off-topic

Why we need to STOP making official threads...

34 posts

Flag Post

And also lock a few existing ones.

Official threads are not a bad thing. They are often completely necessary. This does not mean they are always necessary. If used and enforced incorrectly, they can, (and already have, for OT) send a forum to hell.

The following is an example of the appropriate situation in which to make an official thread. My Little Pony:FIM has just caught on and about a third of OTers LOoOoOoOVE ponies. They are making pony threads whenever they are on, thus resulting in half of all threads being about ponies. About half of the forum users are indifferent towards ponies. They have no interest in them, and deem the forum unusable, because it is cluttered with posts targeted at a minority user group. Admins are unwilling to create a sub-forum for bronies. The best solution in this scenario would be to create an official thread for My Little Pony. This way, the majority of users can enjoy the forum, while the pony lovers still enjoy it, to a lesser extent.

The following is a decent example of when not to make an Official thread.
You like Spongebob. You feel like talking about him, so you make an official thread about it. Assuming the moderators acknowledge it as an official thread, if somebody makes a Spongebob related thread a month later, a mod might lock it and tell the person to post it in The Official Spongebob thread. Said person posts in it, aaaaaannnd *drumroll* nobody responds. Now, “Why doesn’t anybody post? Is it because everybody is occupied, spamming official threads?”, you, (the single person in OT with attention span to read this monstrosity of an OP), might ask. My answer: While yes, it’s also likely that everybody has no interest in said thread. They have already seen it’s contents and think, “Oh, it’s that thread again…”. If the user had been allowed to make her or his own thread, then the same forum lurker might have seen the thread and reacted differently, “Hey look, ‘I have holes and am covered and yellow’? That sounds sexual! I must read this potentially arousing topic!”.
And yes, I know, it’s only a few potential threads over the course of a few months that would be lost, but does that not only verify my point that an official thread for the subject was never even necessary, in the first place? In bulk, these kinds of official threads can drain the other topics away from OT, until there is hardly anything left, but guess what? Official threads are going to scrape those away too.

Sure, making lots of official threads for specific titles can create problems, but at least we have our basic, topic builds!- WRONG! This kind of official thread isn’t as common as the ones mentioned in the paragraph above, but they are by far the worst. As I said earlier, official threads are meant to replace an overused class of thread, that only appeals to a minority group of forum members, such as a crow themed thread. (Yes, I do think that there should be an official crowny thread, mainly because Mafefe puts out SO much crow themed material). The threads I’ve been building up about, (which you probably think are the devil, himself, based on what I’ve said about them), are the kind about a basic thread format. For example a couple years ago, every night, I’m sure there were at least a few threads saying goodnight to everybody, so they made an Official Goodnight thread. Now, even though this thread is rarely used, you won’t be seeing threads saying “Goodnight, peoples!”, or anything of the like, anymore. Sure, I don’t care for polling threads, but should I make a The Official Polling thread, and prohibit threads about polling? Probably not.
Now, this wouldn’t be SO much of a problem if it was just one thread, but it causes a chain reaction. Now that polling threads are gone, the void is filled with, lets say, name rhyming (if you remember those). Now, I love rhyming, so I’m happy now. The only problem is, Vegard HATES name rhyming, so he makes an Official Name rhyming thread. The bigger vacuum is filled with gaming threads, (because everybody hates General Gaming). Neither I, nor Freeicecream care for gaming threads, because we are actually ninety year-old pedophiles who have never played a video game. Freeicecream goes ahead and makes an Official Gaming thread. This process continues, until nothing is left, but meme themed threads. Nobody likes meme threads. NOBODY!
Probably the best real life example of something like this would be the Official Youtube thread, which is a pretty common type of post.

Is this really what we want? Official threads slowly absorbing all our delicious entertainment juice, then only returning a few precious droplets? I think not!

TL;DR: So, you are saying this is too long for you to read? Does this mean you have never read a book?; Because most books targeted at age groups above nine are longer than this thread. If you are under nine, you should not be on this forum. This forum is for people over the age of twelve.

Flag Post
you, (the single person in OT with attention span to read this monstrosity of an OP)

Me? :O

Anyway, 5/5

Flag Post

about a third of OTers LOoOoOoOVE ponies

Not really.

Tenco1, ZL, currybrace, spear, raelito, motormaxis, vanhalen1. Those are the only bronies that are truly OTers off the top of my head.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Zamininc099:

Not really.

Tenco1, ZL, currybrace, spear, raelito. Those are the only bronies that are truly OTers off the top of my head.

The above quote was intended to be hypothetical, not factual.

Originally posted by SpearDudezor:
you, (the single person in OT with attention span to read this monstrosity of an OP)

Me? :O

Anyway, 5/5

Five of five star review? My god… I AM THE GREATEST WRITER IN THE WORLD, NO SARCASM!

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post
Originally posted by Darkscanner:

Not really.

Tenco1, ZL, currybrace, spear, raelito. Those are the only bronies that are truly OTers off the top of my head.

But there are more anti brony OTers than brony OTers.

Just most anti brony OTers don’t show it.

Flag Post

Zamnic, I do not understand the intention of your posts.
Are you trying to derail my hypothetical scenario as fake?; Because, by the definition of the word, ‘Hypothetical’, that has already been done.

Flag Post

This forum is for people over the age of twelve.

But the minimum age requirement for Kong is 13.

Flag Post

Should only be made when there’s a bunch of identical threads, not just make one and claim it the official.
I agree with most of what you wrote, OP.

Originally posted by Eelee:

Same thing.

Flag Post

why don’t we just lock OT and never come back. Kill OT.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Redfin_802:

why don’t we just lock OT and never come back. Kill OT.

You would kill peoples reason for life.

Anyway…

Isn’t this the “OFFICIAL Why we need to STOP making official threads…” thread?

Flag Post

Why not just have a rule?

A thread with an original topic will NOT be allowed to become an official thread until there is a minimum of 250 posts within 24 hours for 3 consecutive days. Then the OP is allowed to put the “Official” title in front of it.

Flag Post

Name 5 unneeded official threads, and I won’t dismiss this thread as baseless complaining.

Flag Post

its only a title

not deserving of a wall of text

Flag Post

Also, most bronies don’t count as OTters because they only post in the MLP thread

Flag Post
Originally posted by CROWexist:

Also, most bronies don’t count as OTters because they only post in the MLP thread

they are also the scum of the earth and therefore not counted as human

Flag Post
Originally posted by Eelee:

You’re definitely under 13.

Flag Post
Originally posted by waffle_god:

Wait, so you are saying its bad to not be human.

Which means…

You are saying it is bad TO BE A CROW???? :<

WHY DO YOU HATE CROWS :< :< :< :< :<

Flag Post
Originally posted by waffle_god:

Wait, so you are saying its bad to not be human.

Which means…

You are saying it is bad TO BE A CROW???? :<

WHY DO YOU HATE CROWS :< :< :< :< :<

they meant to say crownies, furries and bronies.
so they just called 2 thirds of OT the scum of the earth.
flame war incoming!
INB4 FLAME!

Flag Post

Name 5 unneeded official threads, and I won’t dismiss this thread as baseless complaining.

The Official Youtube thread, the Official Rant thread, The Official “Kill One, Marry One, and Fuck One” thread, the Official Goodmorning thread, and the Official Goodnight thread, are the only examples of basic official threads that I can think of atm, but there a lot of others and even more of the second class of official thread, that I complained about in my earlier paragraph.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Darkscanner:

Not really.

But there are more anti brony OTers than brony OTers.

Just most anti brony OTers don’t show it.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
DO YOU REALLY THINK THAT?

Flag Post

Read the whole thing. 9000/9001

So ask a mod about it, darkie.

Flag Post

0/10 No Vote For you

Flag Post
Originally posted by xtrakool:

Read the whole thing. 9000/9001

So ask a mod about it, darkie.

I just might!

Originally posted by K_i_c_k:

0/10 No Vote For you

K_i_c_k does not think highly of me? Locking thread. My attempt at gaining his respect has failed…

Flag Post

brb making the official why we need to stop making official threads boycott thread

whatever u say bro