Forums Off-topic

Power Solutions! page 2

46 posts

Flag Post

We’re not talking large commercial vessels though.

The concept was private boats replacing private cars. Boats, of course, being required to move through a far more viscous medium than automobiles. How are we going to achieve better energy-efficiency, again?

Flag Post

For private movement that is of course impractical, necessitating either the removal of vast urban areas to new locations or canal development of an unprecedented scale.

Flag Post

I think harvesting for oil on Mars would be cheaper than making a solar ring

Flag Post

That was a joke right? There is no oil at Mars, since oil is of biological origin.

Flag Post

Any good ideas anybody? Get deep into details.

Flag Post

sigh All these things fall into one common, unfortunate factor: Money. Solar Panel rings? Are you insane?!? How exactly do we get about 4,000,000,000 panels up there just to maybe get halfway around there? The cost is insane! And knowing us humans, we’ll just screw up and crash through one of the panels… Furthermore, how do we root the panels into one spot without them floating away? AND how do we get the energy down to earth???

Flag Post

how do we root the panels into one spot without them floating away?

The same way we do with satellites and space stations?

how do we get the energy down to earth???

Microwaves?

Flag Post

you could rig up a transmitter on the panels, which beams light to earht, which then is absorbed and converted by solar panels, but the actual gain in energy would be slim.
@ saintajora – satellites and space stations aren’t rooted in one spot, but are moving at collosal speeds in our orbit.

Flag Post

Buy a charger, it saves u a lot of energy! ;)

Flag Post

Who says the panels cant orbit earth?

Why not try harvesting volcanic power. Lavas really hot you know we could use use it to make so steam.

Flag Post

I have many problems with just the ring, let-alone the others.
1. The cost would be very high, but, if the entire world would agree to work on it (very unlikely) they might lower the costs of their items so other countries could use them, and then buy other countries goods all for the ring.

2. It would be physically impossible to make a ring bigger than the Earth in diameter, on Earth. And it would have to be made in space, already orbiting. The only problem is (not really, there’s many, many problems) the bigger it gets in orbit, the odder the orbit will become, and soon enough after they get maybe 2/6 of it, it would more than likely crash into the Earth, causing mass destruction and possibly destroying several countries, if not entire continents.

3. It isn’t as easy as you might think to make, and get energy from, solar panels. Every panel (are normally only a few inches x a few inches)have hundreds or thousands of solar cells in them, which take awhile to make. And the power will only be gathered in the day-time on one side of the planet, and when it’s night on one side, on the other side it will gather energy, though that completely depends on the orbit.

I have a diagram explaining my main problem.

Photobucket

As you can see, it’s night-time on one side of the planet, and day-time on the other. (AKA, realistic) The sun side is getting as much power as it needs to power that half of the planet. But the red side is the night side, and that side has to rely on what power is left in that half of the ring to power that entire half of the planet.

4. How would you connect the solar ring in such a way it could power an entire planet? Wires are just illogical, because they would wear and tear in weather, and airplanes and birds would destroy them, and they would disrupt the rings orbit. So basically, the ring could not be connected to the planet in any way to transfer the energy. So this is illogical.

I would get to the other ones, but this is a long post already.

Flag Post

My idea for roads and stuff, I had it a long time ago. Never wrote it down though. not sure if it will work.

Conveyor Belts.

Replacing roads. Over them will be a large circular glass half cyclinder, to keep out the weather.

The conveyor belts will be in varying speeds, and will have standard seats every couple of metres.

They will be around 1 metre across each one. And have platforms every now and again (it won’t be one giant conveyer belt. Lots of small indivudal ones of varying speeds with platforms seperating them).

If you want to go faster move futher to the inside, and in at some platforms there will be a touch screen map on a little stand so you can see where you’d have to slow down.

If you want to go somewhere, hop outside, enter through the nearest archway, mabye 3 metres across, (with one every kilometre or so), move into one of the lanes. The highest speed being 100 km/h, lowest 10k/h. Each conveyer belt will have a platform every 1 kilometre at least and will be straight. No curves, well there might be, if it can be incorparated.

Actually the chairs wouldn’t be able to go underneath so I might need to sort that. Anyone offer any help.

Flag Post

How do i get on a conveyor belt moving 100km/h or does it stop every time some wants to get on/off?

Flag Post

It’s moving next to a conveyer belt going 90 km/hr. Which is moving next to one going 80 km/hr. And so on. It’s quite feasible to step onto a belt moving 10 km/hr relative to you. The real problem is air movement…

Flag Post

well, the real problem would be the energy and space usage would be GREATER than when using cars etc…not to mention discomfort and costs of building such network.

Flag Post

why hasnt anyone said anything about hamsters yet? thats what powers the PS3

but anyway a usefull solution now ive had my funnys…. how about we take to the skys for transport or use whatever hydrogen for powering things people that say electricity is the way to go obviously hasnt thought about charging the gigantic batteries electricity doesnt kill the atmosphere but chargeing the batteries does

Flag Post

We can have farms outside the dome to get crops to grow, and inside it’s just going to be a bit dark. We can easily live with that.

Your body tends to enjoy receiving Vitamin D from the sun.

Flag Post

HAhahaha.

So far, RMcD was the only person who made a good idea that i liked.

Flag Post

I like drive thru windows. no conveyor belts for me

Flag Post

did anyone wach top gear on sunday? they had an amazing solution
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00g7dw0/Top_Gear_Series_12_Episode_7_(new_series)/
at around 0:51 in the programme

Flag Post

you don’t need to put IBM in the Speech marks.