Forums Off-topic

Christmas or X-mas

9 posts

Flag Post

In the recent weeks and following weeks I have noticed christmas comming around and I remembered that christmas was actualy religious :-O and im not christian but I want presents. So i was wondering if christmas is ffor everyone why cant we get pressies and if we are to make a new holiday for other religions than christianity and what to call it i dont realy like the word X-mas so can we think of another word that doesnt include any religious links to it so we can live in the new world of politicaly correctness and celebrate getting pressies.

and i know posting a religious thread is completely against my beliefs but christmas is at stake

and i cant decide wether to put this in off topic or serious discusion so if enough people say its in the wrong forum i’ll delete the thread and make a new one in serious discusion

Flag Post

Actually, Xmas apparently originates from the use of the “X” mark as shorthand for “Christ”, so it still does have religious links.

It’s difficult to find one that’s both free of religious imagery and pleasant sounding. The American solution of “holidays” is terribly sterile.

Flag Post

+mas

Flag Post

christmas is at stake

Oh no. Whatever will we do without our commercial holidays?

Flag Post

x mas. Less things to type

Flag Post

Christmas is for everyone! I’m not Christian but I still celebrate Christmas. Christmas is such a part of our culture that I think it’s fine for Christians and non-Christians alike to share it.

Flag Post

You, sir, are an idiot.

Flag Post

The X in X-Mas came about for those who were not of the Roman Catholic religion, because they didn’t believe in Christ mas. Same goes for the expression “Happy Holidays” It’s just for those who are not of a certain religion.

Flag Post

Sorry, guy, but I believe my explanation was correct:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xmas

The ‘X’ stands for Christ, it doesn’t replace it.

Whether the Christians like it or not, I think Christmas has become much more than a religious festival… it’s a celebration of love, family, generosity, friendship and natural renewal which can and should be enjoyed by everyone. Words change their meanings over time, and I don’t think you should fret too much about the “christ” in christmas.