Forums Off-topic

December 21, 2012

54 posts

Flag Post

I think you already know about the Mayan calender and the end of the world and all of that doomsday theory and stuff like that. Well, since it’s a couple of weeks later, state your opinion about 12/21/12. This page is basically to get a little discussion started about the doomsday theory. State your honest opinion.

Flag Post

It, like all other doomsday “theories,” is a big load to get people to wait for something.

And I know this for a fact since Isaac Newton himself has predicted that the world will end in 2030, so there.

Flag Post

It must be true because David Duchovny predicted it in X-Files Season Nine.

Flag Post

For me….it’s just a damn fine reason to not do any Xmas shopping.
Ya’re “covered” either way.

Flag Post

I’m just going to leave this here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dates_predicted_for_apocalyptic_events

By the way, two different Popes made the list for failed predictors. I have no idea how people still follow that religion.

Flag Post

Every single theory has been dunked. Nothing is set to happen on that date.

Flag Post

Sorry, I thought this was the Serious Discussion forum, not the “Conspiracist Bullshit” forum. Please leave this crap outside of this forum, OP.

Thread about how easily the masses can be lead to believe in conspiracies such as this? Yep. That’d be a great thread.
Thread about how the Mayan calender is true? Get out, please, and thank you.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Jantonaitis:

It must be true because David Duchovny predicted it in X-Files Season Nine.

That’s all the proof I need. Proof of awesomeness, that is.

Seriously, I’m sure it’s hogwash and the day will come and go just like Y2K did.

Flag Post
Originally posted by MyTie:

I’m just going to leave this here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dates_predicted_for_apocalyptic_events

By the way, two different Popes made the list for failed predictors. I have no idea how people still follow that religion.

Yes, those crazy catholics.

Never mind the endless list of protestant jesus-jumpers who predicted the end of the world, yes, it’s the medieval catholic popes who are deeply suspect.

That’s all the proof I need. Proof of awesomeness, that is.

Well, personally I prefer the non-alien episodes, but basically i think it’s spot-on. After all, the smoking man was in this episode, and as a fellow smoking man, I posit that smokers cannot lie.

Flag Post

Well, personally I prefer the non-alien episodes, but basically i think it’s spot-on. After all, the smoking man was in this episode, and as a fellow smoking man, I posit that smokers cannot lie.

I love a good alien conspiracy, although my favorite episode was probably Home. My husband thinks I’m sick for liking that so much, but oh well.

Flag Post

Utter bullshit. It would be funny if it wasn’t pathetic how many people truly believe it

Flag Post

The night before that will be so epic!
Or horrible, depending on whether people want to have fun during their last hours or whether they want to try out that “Lay waste to everything, since it has no consequences anymore”-thing.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Twilight_Ninja:

Seriously, I’m sure it’s hogwash and the day will come and go just like Y2K did.

Y2k was actually real. It was a potential disaster of our own making. A lot of talented programmers made a great deal of money in the years leading up to that, as COBOL coders for which demand had all-but disappeared, were suddenly able to command six-figure salaries to put that knowledge to use, rewriting thirty-year-old programs that, when they were originally written, nobody envisaged would still be in use 30 years later.

The fact that nothing did happen when the dates switched over was more a testament to a lot of extremely hard work by a great many people than anything else. All critical systems had had every date reference in their control codes located, and changed to a timestamp rather than a two-digit integer. Every piece of code checked to ensure it would now function properly.

Flag Post

I must just be a nut I guess.

I love a good alien conspiracy, although my favorite episode was probably Home. My husband thinks I’m sick for liking that so much, but oh well.

Field Trip is where it’s at.

Flag Post
Never mind the endless list of protestant jesus-jumpers who predicted the end of the world, yes, it’s the medieval catholic popes who are deeply suspect.

You’re right! Seventh Day Adventists predicted the end of the world three times, incorrectly. Jehovah’s Witnesses four times. I don’t understand it. If your religion tells you something is going to happen, and it doesn’t…. perhaps it’s time to consider a change.

Flag Post

My method –
Go about life as normal, but if it happens, remember not to be caught off guard.

Flag Post

The closer we’ve got to this, the fewer comments about it I’ve seen. Maybe all the idiots are holed up in electricity-free caves…

Flag Post

You’re right! Seventh Day Adventists predicted the end of the world three times, incorrectly. Jehovah’s Witnesses four times. I don’t understand it. If your religion tells you something is going to happen, and it doesn’t…. perhaps it’s time to consider a change.

Perhaps ya are forgetting: Religion is all about forgiveness & redemption….
even of//for itself.
Maybe even ESPECIALLY for itself.
Something to the tune of: Exxxtttrreeeeeeeeem rationalization
It’s possible that, in light of modern scientific//philosophical thinking, the shrinking level of “credibility” many (most?) religions could well be the reason for their equally shrinking number of devotees.

Flag Post

And Bible Student movement an amazing 8 times. Lol

Flag Post
Originally posted by Dante_Dreiman:

And Bible Student movement an amazing 8 times. Lol

And these guys have like umpteen billions times.
Ergo, such silliness is sooooo lame that it is lampooned….HUGELY.

Flag Post

I honestly don’t believe it will happen. Considering the fact we’ve tried guessing before and obviously failed at our predictions. Although I respect if you believe otherwise.

Flag Post

i wanted to make a thread on this for a while now, but i guess that’s what i did. DmageGore, OmegaDoom…they’re almost anagrams. i wonder why no-one figured out yet that…

lol. but this ain’t a good thread. we really aught to write a rule to SD that you cannot start a thread with “state your opinion about”.

but this is my view on the “prophecy”: i simply hope it’s true. that’s all.

Flag Post
Originally posted by OmegaDoom:

but this is my view on the “prophecy”: i simply hope it’s true. that’s all.

Come on, you made my emo meter explode with that statement Doom.

Flag Post

Why would you hope for it to be true?

Flag Post
Originally posted by OmegaDoom:

lol. but this ain’t a good thread. we really aught to write a rule to SD that you cannot start a thread with “state your opinion about”.

Yea, then make it a sticky and call it SD Forum Guidelines or something