Forums Off-topic

You are mayor. There is a water shortage and you have to ration the water for your city.

27 posts

Flag Post

There is a severe water shortage. You control the water rations for 100,000 people.

The weather man doesn’t know exactly when the rain will come to relieve the situation. However the likelihood of rain goes up by 10% each year. So there is a 30% chance it will rain within 3 years, 70% chance of rain within 7 years and 100% chance of rain within 10 years.

Your water supply is limited. The longer you plan to have water available the smaller the rations will be and the more people will die from dehydration. The amount of people that can survive goes down by 10% a year. I.e. you can keep 100 of people alive for one year, 80 of people for 3 years, 40% of people for seven years, 10% of people for ten years.

If the rain doesn’t come before you run out of water everybody dies, including yourself.

How many years do you plan to ration water for?

 
Flag Post

I would ration for 10 years. Yes, only 10 percent of my population would be alive, but with any other option, it could be easily 0 percent. A small population is better than no population

 
Flag Post

I don’t ration it and I move people in my city to a different city.

 
Flag Post

For the same reasons as Hangman, I’d ration for ten years. If I wanted to be a selfish jerk, though, I wouldn’t ration the water at all and we’d all die so I wouldn’t have to face the consequences of my failure instead of possibly having to face consequences if 20% of my population dies when it would have been feasible to save my whole population. I’d also make sure to explain why I was doing what I was doing in the hopes that people wouldn’t hate me too much.

 
Flag Post

Six years, because at that point, there’s a 98% chance that there will be rain, and 40 percent will still be alive.

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by santasrule:

Six years, because at that point, there’s a 98% chance that there will be rain, and 40 percent will still be alive.

There is a 60% chance of rain within 6 years and 50% of people will survive on that amount of water.

 
Flag Post

Evacuate the city or have water shipped over here from elsewhere.

 
Flag Post

I would commit genocide against the men and the ugly women, and ration water to anybody who doesn’t join my own personal harem. Problem solved, humanity is saved, and I’m the manliest man in the world

 
Flag Post

How the fuck is there a water shortage, I live on an island in the middle of the pacific ._.

 
Flag Post

Save about twenty people who specializes in a certain subject.

 
Flag Post

Keep all the water for myself.

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by Zoronii:

How the fuck is there a water shortage, I live on an island in the middle of the pacific ._.

Tried drinking oceanwater before?

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by benodoc:
Originally posted by Zoronii:

How the fuck is there a water shortage, I live on an island in the middle of the pacific ._.

Tried drinking oceanwater before?

You know that ocean water can get turned into good water? :P

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by livold:
Originally posted by benodoc:
Originally posted by Zoronii:

How the fuck is there a water shortage, I live on an island in the middle of the pacific ._.

Tried drinking oceanwater before?

You know that ocean water can get turned into good water? :P

Even if ocean water couldn’t be purified, it still makes a drought literally impossible.

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by livold:
Originally posted by benodoc:
Originally posted by Zoronii:

How the fuck is there a water shortage, I live on an island in the middle of the pacific ._.

Tried drinking oceanwater before?

You know that ocean water can get turned into good water? :P

Sure, through desalination. I’ve done it a couple of times. It doesn’t just magically happen though.

 
Flag Post

Resign and move to New York.

 
Flag Post

Ration? As mayor Defacto of this great city of AssBallsius, I would feel a great shame if any of my fine citizens were left with only drops of water to drink each day. A nice little volcanic eruption will lessen the numbers in my city so nobody will have to go through the agonizing pain caused by dying of thirst.

 
Flag Post

I keep it all for myself.

 
Flag Post

76,000 → 94,000 people are sent away to a nearby town or into the wilderness with a small amount of supplies to get to a better place.
If not possible, the people are executed.

Odds are I wanted to kill off them anyways, and this just gives me the chance to do so.
Assuming we have food, we won’t have to eat the killed.

Why this many?
To run a town you need a certain number of people, as well as certain demographics to keep the town running and alive so it doesn’t collapse.
Depending on the size of the town, I’m assuming it isn’t very small because there is 100,000 people living there, we would have tons of room.

Each person could be given their own house/area if they wanted so, or they could live together.
Each person gets their water, clearly.
Each person gets their food, or gets their new lovely meal of human.
Each person must contribute to the town in some way, even if they’re children. That doesn’t mean they have to do hard labor or anything, but they must help in some way unless something major is wrong with them. Which in such a case, they would most likely be executed.

Oh well, it’s not like OT really cares about me going into a long couple thousand word explanation on how to run a small town, and why that amount of people must go.

 
Flag Post

I would give rations to 50% of the people so we can keep living long enough until were dependent upon rain.

 
Flag Post

so how many can survive given the ammount of water?
EDIT
nvm, you forgot to type % on the example.

 
Flag Post

7½ years.

 
Flag Post

I would resign

Originally posted by livold:

Keep all the water for myself.

Originally posted by josh____:

I keep it all for myself.

And then you get killed from the angry protestors

 
Flag Post

Just buy lots of damn water.
Or build a salt water refinery.

 
Flag Post

I would try to either request government aid or try to generate water, by extracting Hydrogen from the hydrocarbons and combine it with Oxygen and burning it in a big and strong inoxidable container to form water vapor and cool it down to make liquid, drinkable water or search for another sources such as subsoil water.

May sound way too utopic tho :P