Forums Off-topic

Why do so many people feel college is a necessity? Seems pointless to me.

130 posts

Flag Post

I have a high school diploma and make more then any of my college educated friends. Plus I don’t owe thousands in student loans.

Flag Post

My dad has no degree and he does just fine

though that may be because my mom makes so much

Flag Post

Certain jobs require degrees. However, way too many people go to college for the sake of going to college.

Flag Post
Originally posted by 91238576T91:
Originally posted by retart:

Is your mom the daddy in the house?

She doesn’t act like it, but she easily earns the most

Flag Post

It’s a bullshit idea forged into the minds of people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proof_by_assertion

This lie has been repeated so much that many people think it’s true. Not only that, they become addicted to the idea. They become almost incapable of imagining a life without college.
It is definitely possible to achieve success without college. Maybe even more so, if you know what you’re doing.
Degrees are something else. I think you can obtain a degree without wasting years in college. Even if you can’t, if you want a job that requires a degree, there are ways to obtain it without one. Definitely.

Flag Post

Is your mom the daddy in the house?

She doesn’t act like it, but she easily earns the most

Is she a surgeon?

no

Flag Post

In school, they hard-wire into childrens’ brains that college is a must and without it you’re a failure.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Thomas:

In school, they hard-wire into childrens’ brains that college is a must and without it you’re a failure.

Good Luck with your job at McDonalds! :D I think I’ll actually try to be a success in life, thank you very much.

Flag Post
Originally posted by hangman95:

Good Luck with your job at McDonalds! :D I think I’ll actually try to be a success in life, thank you very much.

I’m not saying that you’re a failure without college, I’m saying teachers / parents nowadays fill our heads with college. College. College. College. College. College. College. College. Don’t drop out. College. Yeah.

Flag Post

I’m not saying that you’re a failure without college, I’m saying teachers / parents nowadays fill our heads with college. College. College. College. College. College. College. College. Don’t drop out. College. Yeah.

Having that extra degree might be the difference between getting the dream job and getting the ok job or, possibly, the shit job

Flag Post

Because if you’re in college, you get this slip of paper after graduation that gives you jobs.

Flag Post
Originally posted by CowFriend:

Because if you’re in college, you get this slip of paper after graduation that gives you jobs.

Unless you majored in philosophy or something like that.

Flag Post
Originally posted by AlextheGreat13:
Originally posted by CowFriend:

Unless you majored in philosophy or something like that.

LOL!!! XD THATS FUNNY! Wait, didnt I major in philosophy? (jk lol)

Flag Post

I don’t ever wanna move back to my country, so for me college IS a necessity.

Flag Post

Depends in the field of work you want to go. Some jobs don’t require you to have any sort of degree. I, for example, want to be a teacher, which requires me to go to college. You have more job opportunities if you graduate college too. I’d rather have a job that I enjoy and get by than have a job I have to do, not like, and get by.

Flag Post

I agree with you. A college degree is a piece of paper with no meaning aside from “hey, I made it through a few years of classes, though I’m liable to forget 60% of all that I learned”. When people are applying for a job, the company/person that is hiring will generally hire the person with more college education. I find this to be quite ignorant, considering there are many other people that may very well be more qualified for the position that do not have a degree. They may have years upon years of experience, more knowledge in the field, etc., and they will not be hired because they don’t have a degree.

Flag Post

more knowledge in the field

One can only learn so much by themselves. There’s a point where you’re going to need some professional help.

Flag Post

College has a fixed bar. When a company hires people from college, they know exactly what they are gonna get. However, real life can give varied experience, good or bad. SO companies dont like them.

Seriously think about it. If you were building a computer, would you want to be able to pick parts out of boxes that are labeled and each part is exactly what the label says, or would you pick out random parts from a box with a question mark and place them willy-nilly. Same goes for the companies, they need to be sure they get the parts they want.

Flag Post

Because some people want to focus on one field and be as proficient as possible with that one field.

I’m hoping to get a good job in engineering. If I go to college there’s probably going to be more job opportunities from private employers and stuff. If I don’t I’ll end up being a civil engineer. Screw civil engineers.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Storaged:

I agree with you. A college degree is a piece of paper with no meaning aside from “hey, I made it through a few years of classes, though I’m liable to forget 60% of all that I learned”. When people are applying for a job, the company/person that is hiring will generally hire the person with more college education. I find this to be quite ignorant, considering there are many other people that may very well be more qualified for the position that do not have a degree. They may have years upon years of experience, more knowledge in the field, etc., and they will not be hired because they don’t have a degree.

I don’t know about you, but I would prefer for my doctor to have actually gone to medical school or for the guys at my local nuclear power plant to have a clue what they’re doing.

Flag Post

You’re forgetting the part where college is hard as fuck and a company will know you’re a hard worker just by having graduated.

Flag Post

There’s a point where you’re going to need some professional help.

You aren’t going to need any sort of professional help if you’ve been working the field for over a decade. You’re likely going to be more experienced and more well-trained than someone who’s earned a degree in the field. My father, for example. He’s been working at a company for 25 years, and he never attended college. He’s seen people fresh out of college land jobs above him simply due to the fact that they’ve earned a degree in the field. My father attended technical school for all 4 years of his high school career, as well. If you think someone who had gone to college for six years is going to be better at doing something than someone who has almost 30 years of experience, then I don’t know how you’re thinking.

a company will know you’re a hard worker just by having graduated.

A company will also know you’re a hard worker if you’ve stuck to the field for an extended period of time, working your way up as you did.

Flag Post

There’s a point where you’re going to need some professional help.

You aren’t going to need any sort of professional help if you’ve been working the field for over a decade. You’re likely going to be more experienced and more well-trained than someone who’s earned a degree in the field. My father, for example. He’s been working at a company for 25 years, and he never attended college. He’s seen people fresh out of college land jobs above him simply due to the fact that they’ve earned a degree in the field. My father attended technical school for all 4 years of his high school career, as well. If you think someone who had gone to college for six years is going to be better at doing something than someone who has almost 30 years of experience, then I don’t know how you’re thinking.

yes, the man who learned from real life COULD be an expert. Then again, he might be totally clueless. Seriously, read my previous metaphor.

College has a fixed bar. When a company hires people from college, they know exactly what they are gonna get. However, real life can give varied experience, good or bad. SO companies dont like them.

Seriously think about it. If you were building a computer, would you want to be able to pick parts out of boxes that are labeled and each part is exactly what the label says, or would you pick out random parts from a box with a question mark and place them willy-nilly. Same goes for the companies, they need to be sure they get the parts they want.

Flag Post

I did read your previous post. See, people in college take classes, whereas people working the field actually, well, work the field. Sitting in a classroom whilst participating in very minimal hands-on activities relating to the field (e.g. machining when you’re going to college to be a machinist — the majority of what they do in college is all book work). I just feel as though on-site conditioning and learning is more valuable than on campus learning.

Flag Post

I did read your previous post. See, people in college take classes, whereas people working the field actually, well, work the field. Sitting in a classroom whilst participating in very minimal hands-on activities relating to the field (e.g. machining when you’re going to college to be a machinist — the majority of what they do in college is all book work). I just feel as though on-site conditioning and learning is more valuable than on campus learning.

LOL did you just say College is book work… I think that you are thinking of universities. Colleges offer hands on training, and even work placements! Seriously…