Forums Off-topic

Why do so many people feel college is a necessity? Seems pointless to me. page 2

130 posts

Flag Post

Doing it for a long time doesn’t mean you’re better at it. When a person has a degree in a certain field, it’s proof that they have specialized in that field correctly. I’d rather hire a person who’s done 6 years of right work rather than hire a person who’s done 20 years of possible wrong work.

See, people in college take classes, whereas people working the field actually, well, work the field.

Have you ever been to a college or seen a college class?

Flag Post

My apologies. I’ve been referring to universities this entire time due to the fact that I’m in one right now, but I always tell people I’m away at college because it sounds more appropriate (to me). So, my terminology’s become a bit skewed because of that.

Flag Post
Originally posted by AlextheGreat13:
Originally posted by Storaged:

I agree with you. A college degree is a piece of paper with no meaning aside from “hey, I made it through a few years of classes, though I’m liable to forget 60% of all that I learned”. When people are applying for a job, the company/person that is hiring will generally hire the person with more college education. I find this to be quite ignorant, considering there are many other people that may very well be more qualified for the position that do not have a degree. They may have years upon years of experience, more knowledge in the field, etc., and they will not be hired because they don’t have a degree.

I don’t know about you, but I would prefer for my doctor to have actually gone to medical school or for the guys at my local nuclear power plant to have a clue what they’re doing.

Those people don’t have to go to college to be experts.

Flag Post
Originally posted by SpearDudezor:
Originally posted by AlextheGreat13:
Originally posted by Storaged:

I agree with you. A college degree is a piece of paper with no meaning aside from “hey, I made it through a few years of classes, though I’m liable to forget 60% of all that I learned”. When people are applying for a job, the company/person that is hiring will generally hire the person with more college education. I find this to be quite ignorant, considering there are many other people that may very well be more qualified for the position that do not have a degree. They may have years upon years of experience, more knowledge in the field, etc., and they will not be hired because they don’t have a degree.

I don’t know about you, but I would prefer for my doctor to have actually gone to medical school or for the guys at my local nuclear power plant to have a clue what they’re doing.

Those people don’t have to go to college to be experts.

Now you’re trolling.

Flag Post

Good luck surviving with 11k-13k a year.

You aren’t going to need any sort of professional help if you’ve been working the field for over a decade

Unless the experienced person is using outdated methods, which is a problem in certain professions.

Flag Post
Originally posted by JoeySkywalker:

I have a high school diploma and make more then any of my college educated friends. Plus I don’t owe thousands in student loans.

I have a 2-year degree and I guarantee I could get a job tomorrow if I wanted to, and still make more money than you.

Flag Post

wtf i want to be president. and for that i need best things possible. thats y i always sign in for extra lessons where i get an internationally recognized certificate in the end. so university is necessary too.

Flag Post

>tfw Highschool dropout and can become successful in my line of work.
>tfw no debts or worries
>tfw good feel

Flag Post

You’re right, college isn’t necessary. However, with a college degree you’re much more likely to get a job. In my unemployment-ridden shithole the only way I could get any job within 3 months, even ones which I’d be way too overqualified for is if I’d have a college degree. I’m going to get mine when I finish this year. However, I want to have a Magister’s degree so I’ll take an extra year for that.
also, college is free here ujelly

Flag Post
Originally posted by lei_wulong:
also, college is free here ujelly

More than you could possibly imagine

Flag Post

college can be necessary depending on what you are going into. its not like you need giant wages to live either. minimum wage is very livable

Flag Post

minimum wage is very livable

yeah, living with one meal a day if that sure is very livable

Flag Post
Originally posted by Ayumi_Stocking:

minimum wage is very livable

yeah, living with one meal a day if that sure is very livable

dat permacut

Flag Post

well obviously it depends on where you live. where im at food is very cheap as well as getting a room somewhere. i could easily live off of minimum wage. even if i worked at minimum wage would have thousands of dollars left over when the new years comes around. you can easily buy a months worth of chicken, beef, rice, beans, potatoes, greens, and some fruits where i live for maybe one hundred dollars or less. all you really need is a freezer and some knowing how to cook. this is also assuming you dont get any free food from your job.

Flag Post
Originally posted by UNRIVALEDUDE52:

well obviously it depends on where you live. where im at food is very cheap as well as getting a room somewhere. i could easily live off of minimum wage. even if i worked at minimum wage would have thousands of dollars left over when the new years comes around. you can easily buy a months worth of chicken, beef, rice, beans, potatoes, greens, and some fruits where i live for maybe one hundred dollars or less. all you really need is a freezer and some knowing how to cook. this is also assuming you dont get any free food from your job.

Do you like that computer you’re on? How about the internet you’re using? I’m sure you’ll need to use a phone eventually, right?
Go ahead and set aside $100 per month for that.

How do you plan on cooking that food you bought? Over an open fire? You’ll need to pay for the electricity to power your oven, microwave, and refrigerator. Oh, and don’t forget the A/C and heating.
Take $100 for the electric bill. An extra $20 if it’s a cold month.

How about water? I’m certain you’ll need water eventually, unless you are some alien creature that we haven’t discovered yet.
Let’s be generous here and say you only pay $15 for that.

I know what you’re thinking. That’s not too bad. I could totally do that on minimum wage.

Well let’s see…
Minimum wage in the U.S. is $7.25. If you work full time (40 hours per week), that’s $290 per week, or $1160 per month.
“Hey, no problem!” you say.

Not so fast
You forgot that Uncle Sam gets his share.
If you’re lucky. And I mean lucky, you’ll bring home about $850 per month.

Time to pay the bills!
$850
minus $100 for internet and phone bills
minus $100-$120 for electric bill
minus $15 for water bill
minus $100 for food (the price you quoted)
minus $350 for rent (which would be a shithole if you’re paying that little)

That leaves you with… $185, give or take. But oh no! We forgot about gas! Gas to power your car (which is magically paid for in this scenario) to drive to your minimum-wage job.
Take another $30 per week for gas (I’m being generous here, I spend $60)

That’s $65 you have left at the end of the month, and I haven’t even described all of the things you would have to pay. This is just a basic example. In reality you would pay much more.

Now please, tell me again how minimum wage is very livable.

Flag Post

Shut up Hallucent. That scenario is like living in a hotel.
And who pays $100 for Internet and phone?!

Flag Post

Me minus the phone

Flag Post

This is my phone bill that I have to pay. It’s also not a smart phone, and I don’t have 3G internet. I have the normal things any phone user would have which are only 500 minutes of talk and unlimited texting. (I have Verizon Wireless)

Internet’s another 80-100 dollars. Saying both together are $100 is being really generous.

Flag Post

Unless you wanna be a laborer, factory worker, corporate slave etc., you have to go to college for a good job here

Flag Post

I wish people hired raw talent and such. As long as I have a portfolio, why not? I hate the idea of paying someone money to teach me shit i already know, just so that I can get a fucking piece of paper telling me I know my shit.

Flag Post

Are you kidding me? I was extremely generous with most of those figures.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Thomas:

In school, they hard-wire into childrens’ brains that college is a must and without it you’re a failure.

If this is true… why isn’t college free?

While college is a nice thing to have, it’s not a necessity.

Also problem is that this happens too many times.

“herp derp i iz spendingz $$$$ on a art program”

But they don’t realize you can’t actually get a job with an art skill.

Artist=Unemployed.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Hallucent:

I have a high school diploma and make more then any of my college educated friends. Plus I don’t owe thousands in student loans.

I have a 2-year degree and I guarantee I could get a job tomorrow if I wanted to, and still make more money than you.

So do it.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Hallucent:

So do it.

He’s going to get a 4-year degree to get an even better job. Something you won’t do since you’re too stupid to realize the necessity of college.

Flag Post

I think it’s much more important to know what you want to do for a living than worrying about how much money you might earn. If you want to you could become a miner with grade 12 education and earn $30 per hour but if you really want to be an engineer or veterinarian or something like that, you need college education. Who cares how much you earn if you are doing what you love.