Forums Off-topic

Why do so many people feel college is a necessity? Seems pointless to me. page 3

130 posts

Flag Post
Originally posted by pink_princess:

I think it’s much more important to know what you want to do for a living than worrying about how much money you might earn. If you want to you could become a miner with grade 12 education and earn $30 per hour but if you really want to be an engineer or veterinarian or something like that, you need college education. Who cares how much you earn if you are doing what you love.

Everyone who wishes to live well.

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by cesarcurado:
Originally posted by pink_princess:

I think it’s much more important to know what you want to do for a living than worrying about how much money you might earn. If you want to you could become a miner with grade 12 education and earn $30 per hour but if you really want to be an engineer or veterinarian or something like that, you need college education. Who cares how much you earn if you are doing what you love.

Everyone who wishes to live well.

Explain to me how you figure living well means slaving away at a job you hate for a few extra dollars.

 
Flag Post

Explain to me how you figure living well means slaving away at a job you hate for a few extra dollars.

I don’t need to explain myself to you, have a nice day.

 
Flag Post

See, people in college take classes, whereas people working the field actually, well, work the field.

Name me one person who’s college educated that doesn’t have work experience before graduation and I’ll show you an unemployed man.

 
Flag Post

>tfw Highschool dropout

>tfw not surprised at all.


also, college is free here ujelly

There are no taxes in your country?

 
Flag Post

It really just depends on what career you intend to enter. For certain careers, going to college or a vocational school is a wise decision. For other careers, it might not be necessary.

 
Flag Post

My father never went to university and he is the president of his company (the company has a CEO as well, so I’m not saying he is the head of it, its also the Australian and NZ company with the companies head office in NY), so he did fine. However he says that when he hires people (many of these jobs would be 100k+) he likes to hire people who have attended uni. This is because he can tell in peoples work who has gone to uni and who hasn’t, the uni graduates work tends to be more organised and templated then a non uni students.

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by basicbasic:

My father never went to university and he is the president of his company (the company has a CEO as well, so I’m not saying he is the head of it, its also the Australian and NZ company with the companies head office in NY), so he did fine. However he says that when he hires people (many of these jobs would be 100k+) he likes to hire people who have attended uni. This is because he can tell in peoples work who has gone to uni and who hasn’t, the uni graduates work tends to be more organised and templated then a non uni students.

Therefore, college students are the working class while the others are bosses

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by SpearDudezor:

Therefore, college students are the working class while the others are bosses

I laughed so hard.

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by Trigmethylamine:
Originally posted by SpearDudezor:

Therefore, college students are the working class while the others are bosses

I laughed so hard.

It is fact.

 
Flag Post

hallucent, im obviously assuming you live in good place as i said. going by where i live i could easily live off of minimum wage have done so before. minimum wage here is $7.75 and there is no state income tax. assuming 40 hours per week at $7.75 would get you 16175 and two cents per year. as you said uncle sam takes his share which is 10% for the first $8925 and 15% for the remaining $7250 and two cents. first bracket is left with $8032.50 second bracket leaves $6162.51 for a total of $14195 and one pretty penny. when you calculate all those bills you have to pay off $8000. that leaves you with $6195 which is more than enough.

 
Flag Post

$8000

You can live under a roof, afford lots of food, drinks, pay bills etc with that little?
I’m finding this hard to believe, but if it’s true then I’d happily live there. That much money annually alone isn’t much for just food in this area…

 
Flag Post

Therefore, college students are the working class while the others are bosses

he is the president of his company

You’re bound to be the owner of your own company. My dad owns his own company too, never went to college either. He’s doing incredibly well for never going to college or a university. He makes around 2k every two weeks and we live just fine, better than most. BUT he had to go through a lot of shit before he even made half of what he does now. Before he had me, him and my mother worked minimum wage jobs that they could barely live off of. They would sometimes not be able to eat any food other than a slice of bread for that entire day because they could not afford money for food PLUS taking care of my older sister who was 1 at the time. Heck, their first “car” was a borrowed 4-wheeler from the neighbors when they were 22 years old because they couldn’t afford a car either until they were about 25. So, my dad highly encourages me to take post-secondary education because he doesn’t want me living off $12 an hour for 5 years before I can afford money for a meal every night.

 
Flag Post

ayumi, do you live on the east coast? on the west coast you can easily get a years worth of food for one thousand dollars. i guess you might need more if you want to be overweight or fancy but im assuming you are smart with your money. you also have to consider that if you get the right job you will have a free meal everyday, if not more.

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by UNRIVALEDUDE52:

on the west coast you can easily get a years worth of food for one thousand dollars

Bullshit

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by Hallucent:
Originally posted by UNRIVALEDUDE52:

on the west coast you can easily get a years worth of food for one thousand dollars

Bullshit

In California you can get a ton of money from food stamps if you don’t have a job. The system also pays some of your rent. They want you to do “volunteer” work, though.

Putting that aside, I can definitely get a year’s worth of food for $1000.

 
Flag Post

ayumi, do you live on the east coast?

Don’t even live in America, just converted my currency to yours to make it easier for you (using a weeks shopping). Let’s say the average cost of one meal is a fiver and you want to eat three meals a day every day for one year. The total would be £5475, which if currency converters are right that comes out at $8573.85. That would just be for one person, seen as we’re poor and only put on average $8000 into food each year I cannot eat that much and often go a lot without eating.

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by SpearDudezor:

In California you can get a ton of money from food stamps if you don’t have a job. The system also pays some of your rent. They want you to do “volunteer” work, though.

Of course you can. The point I’m trying to drive home here, though, is that you can’t survive on your own (no government help) on a minimum wage job.
And FYI, the West Coast is more expensive than the East Coast, especially California.

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by Hallucent:
Originally posted by SpearDudezor:

In California you can get a ton of money from food stamps if you don’t have a job. The system also pays some of your rent. They want you to do “volunteer” work, though.

Of course you can. The point I’m trying to drive home here, though, is that you can’t survive on your own (no government help) on a minimum wage job.
And FYI, the West Coast is more expensive than the East Coast, especially California.

You can if you aren’t a slave to rent and live in the glorious wilds. Or are a funky homeless dude.

 
Flag Post

I don’t know if anyone else already said it, but.

When you have gone through college, you can get much higher paid jobs.

Why not?

Although, I can’t be bothered going to college, I wouldn’t be able to afford it, and anyway, the job I want doesn’t require such a high pass.

 
Flag Post

just converted my currency to yours

Did you account for cost of living differences?

 
Flag Post

Did you account for cost of living differences?

I don’t know where the other person lives aside from the west side of USA, so how can I?
I also only mentioned food if that matters.

 
Flag Post

wtf? is this thread still around?

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by Ayumi_Stocking:

ayumi, do you live on the east coast?

Don’t even live in America, just converted my currency to yours to make it easier for you (using a weeks shopping). Let’s say the average cost of one meal is a fiver and you want to eat three meals a day every day for one year. The total would be £5475, which if currency converters are right that comes out at $8573.85. That would just be for one person, seen as we’re poor and only put on average $8000 into food each year I cannot eat that much and often go a lot without eating.

food is very cheap in the usa. i can go to the store right now and get eight pounds of potatoes for one dollar. twenty pounds of rice for ten dollars. ten pounds of chicken for twenty five dollars. twenty pounds of pinto beans for ten dollars. you may make less in the usa but most things are much cheaper and especially so for food. buy things when they are in season and on sale and you get even cheaper prices

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by UNRIVALEDUDE52:

food is very cheap in the usa. i can go to the store right now and get eight pounds of potatoes for one dollar. twenty pounds of rice for ten dollars. ten pounds of chicken for twenty five dollars. twenty pounds of pinto beans for ten dollars. you may make less in the usa but most things are much cheaper and especially so for food. buy things when they are in season and on sale and you get even cheaper prices

Have you ever actually been to a grocery store? You can’t buy all of this for $46. No way in hell.