Forums Off-topic

Why do so many people feel college is a necessity? Seems pointless to me. page 4

130 posts

Flag Post

hallucent, im not saying we are going to some fancy grocery store. if you want to save money you go to the poor people stores where most people in line will be paying with food stamps. you will also want to buy in bulk obviously. it also depends on where you live. some places you can get about one pound of rice for 33 cents.

if you think those prices are way over then you probably live on the east coast or some other expensive state or country.

 
Flag Post

Which is exactly my point. Unless you get government help, you aren’t surviving on minimum wage. End of story.



Originally posted by UNRIVALEDUDE52:

if you think those prices are way over then you probably live on the east coast or some other expensive state or country.

The west coast is more expensive than the east coast, with the exception of the northeast.

 
Flag Post

do you even know how to read? i said most people will be paying with food stamps because it is a cheap store so the people are going there so they can get more for less with their food stamps. you will not need to get food stamps to go to these stores.

note that by east coast i mean the northeast, like new york and maryland. those places are expensive as hell and you will be lucky to get any good prices on anything. if the east coast is even cheaper than you should have an even easier time living off minimum wage considering i live on the west coast and food is very cheap.

 
Flag Post

I live in North Carolina, which isn’t exactly pricey.

So tell me, how old are you? Do you support yourself or still live with your parents?

 
Flag Post

irrelevant. my point is that you can live off of minimum wage fairly comfortably. it obviously isnt going to be easy as most minimum wage jobs are going to be pretty bad but it is livable without government assistance. and i actually compared grocery prices and it appears that i was wrong about the east coast being expensive as the prices are very similar to where i live. i actually do live by myself now although off of inheritance which is obviously not even comparable to minimum wage.

 
Flag Post

It is completely relevant.
I was making $14 an hour, almost double what minimum wage is, and I wouldn’t call that “living comfortably”. Between bills, food, and gas, I had almost nothing left over. Only once in a while when I got a bonus would I be able to splurge a little bit.

It’s not the food that will get you, it’s the living expenses. Rent/mortgage, electricity, water, gas, and internet/cable/phone.

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by Hallucent:

It is completely relevant.
I was making $14 an hour, almost double what minimum wage is, and I wouldn’t call that “living comfortably”. Between bills, food, and gas, I had almost nothing left over. Only once in a while when I got a bonus would I be able to splurge a little bit.

It’s not the food that will get you, it’s the living expenses. Rent/mortgage, electricity, water, gas, and internet/cable/phone.

The hell do you need gas and electricity and Internet for?

 
Flag Post

The hell do you need gas for?

Because he’s never heard of wood heating.

 
Flag Post

When I say gas, I mean gasoline for a car. Either that or you have to pay for public transit.

I have a wood heater in my house.

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by Hallucent:

When I say gas, I mean gasoline for a car. Either that or you have to pay for public transit.

I have a wood heater in my house.

Or uh…walk?

 
Flag Post

Or uh…walk?

Do you just assume everyone lives close to the things that they need to get to?

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by Storaged:

Or uh…walk?

Do you just assume everyone lives close to the things that they need to get to?

If you want a minimum-wage job you can probably get one close to where you live*

*depending on your neighborhood

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by Storaged:

Or uh…walk?

Do you just assume everyone lives close to the things that they need to get to?

unless you are like in the country on like a farm chances are there is something close enough to walk to

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by Rich112:
Originally posted by Storaged:

Or uh…walk?

Do you just assume everyone lives close to the things that they need to get to?

unless you are like in the country on like a farm chances are there is something close enough to walk to

And if you have a farm why the hell would you want a job?

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by SpearDudezor:
Originally posted by Rich112:
Originally posted by Storaged:

Or uh…walk?

Do you just assume everyone lives close to the things that they need to get to?

unless you are like in the country on like a farm chances are there is something close enough to walk to

And if you have a farm why the hell would you want a job?

I know a few people that live on old farm land but they don’t really use it as a farm anymore

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by SpearDudezor:

If you want a minimum-wage job you can probably get one close to where you live*

*depending on your neighborhood

No, you can’t. Most places aren’t even close to being like this.

I don’t know where you’re from, but in North Carolina unless you live downtown in a large city like Charlotte or Raleigh, you definitely need a car. Even then I would definitely recommend owning one.

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by Hallucent:
Originally posted by SpearDudezor:

If you want a minimum-wage job you can probably get one close to where you live*

*depending on your neighborhood

No, you can’t. Most places aren’t even close to being like this.

I don’t know where you’re from, but in North Carolina unless you live downtown in a large city like Charlotte or Raleigh, you definitely need a car. Even then I would definitely recommend owning one.

What would you consider a far distance. like one you can’t walk and would need a car??

 
Flag Post

Well for example, I live about 5 miles from the nearest job opportunity, and the more attractive ones are double or triple that distance. That’s just too far to walk, considering I can get there in just a few minutes if I’ve got a set of wheels.
And riding a bike through areas like this is a horrible idea. There aren’t any bike paths, and people do not expect to see bikers on the road (since everything is so far), so it’s fairly dangerous.

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by Hallucent:

Well for example, I live about 5 miles from the nearest job opportunity, and the more attractive ones are double or triple that distance. That’s just too far to walk, considering I can get there in just a few minutes if I’ve got a set of wheels.
And riding a bike through areas like this is a horrible idea. There aren’t any bike paths, and people do not expect to see bikers on the road (since everything is so far), so it’s fairly dangerous.

5 to 10 miles isn’t that bad to walk.
I do 6 miles to and from school every week day and walk 4 miles to and from my shop on the weekends.
I could get a car but I see no point and taking a bus would take me longer to get there.
Any thing more than like 10 I wouldn’t walk cuz even 10 is a pretty far walk but 5 miles don’t even take me an hour to walk

 
Flag Post

5 to 10 miles isn’t that bad to walk.

That’s a lot to be walking every day. Just because you do it without issue doesn’t mean it’s practical for other people

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by The_American:

5 to 10 miles isn’t that bad to walk.

That’s a lot to be walking every day. Just because you do it without issue doesn’t mean it’s practical for other people

it’s really not a lot unless you have like health issues anyone should be able to walk 5 miles with out any issues. fucking people are so lazy anymore it pretty pathetic

 
Flag Post

The real problem here is that it takes forever, not because it’s hard to do

 
Flag Post

Looking at the map, my last job was 11.4 miles from my house. No way am I spending 3-4 hours a day walking.


Originally posted by The_American:

The real problem here is that it takes forever, not because it’s hard to do

Definitely this.

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by The_American:

The real problem here is that it takes forever, not because it’s hard to do

it don’t take that long though like 5 miles takes like an hour. you can do that a hell of a lot faster in a car depending on where you are.

Like open country roads 5 miles takes a few minutes around here some times in a car 5 miles will take well over an hour cuz all the traffic and to take a bus even on days there isn’t a lot of traffic still take them longer than an hour to go about that far.

10 miles all at once is a hell of a long walk but 5 or 6 isn’t bad

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by Rich112:
Originally posted by The_American:

The real problem here is that it takes forever, not because it’s hard to do

it don’t take that long though like 5 miles takes like an hour. you can do that a hell of a lot faster in a car depending on where you are.

Like open country roads 5 miles takes a few minutes around here some times in a car 5 miles will take well over an hour cuz all the traffic and to take a bus even on days there isn’t a lot of traffic still take them longer than an hour to go about that far.

10 miles all at once is a hell of a long walk but 5 or 6 isn’t bad

How do you know?