Forums Off-topic

Looking for some chemist type dude

9 posts

Flag Post

What do the numbers mean? Ca+2, C+4, O-2?

Flag Post

If you don’t know anything about chemistry, I can’t give you a lesson in one post.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Hallucent:

If you don’t know anything about chemistry, I can’t give you a lesson in one post.

I do know a little. If you just say what they are I’ll probably understand or google it. Is it oxidation state? I kind of discarded that idea but…I have no idea.

Flag Post

If I remember correctly (and don’t quote me on this, it’s been a while), it means a gain or loss of electrons.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Hallucent:

If I remember correctly (and don’t quote me on this, it’s been a while), it means a gain or loss of electrons.

Huh…so if it’s electronegativity, then the numbers on this table would make more sense. But…not to me :|

Edit: Actually, you said gain or loss…not the ability to gain or lose. Now it makes more sense.
HOLY SHIT IT MAKES PERFECT SENSE!

Flag Post

It can mean all sorts of different things in different situations, but for the elements listed here, the numbers with them are the prominent oxidation states for each corresponding element. I knew that oxygen’s was -2, and I looked up the other ones. Might just be a coincidence, but that’s one relationship that they have.

Flag Post
Originally posted by XtremeHairball:

It can mean all sorts of different things in different situations, but for the elements listed here, the numbers with them are the prominent oxidation states for each corresponding element. I knew that oxygen’s was -2, and I looked up the other ones. Might just be a coincidence, but that’s one relationship that they have.

This also makes perfect sense for what I was trying to figure out. This is valuable information.

Flag Post

C4 is a explosive and 02 is oxygen (air)

Flag Post

Looks to be referring to the oxidation numbers on the atoms.

Originally posted by cesarcurado:

C4 is a explosive and 02 is oxygen (air)

Are you an idiot?