Forums Off-topic

Should I use Linux?

4 posts

Flag Post

So the thought just aroused in my head. I’ve been using a trial version of windows for a few years now. Its a trial version of XP, every 30 days I type in a code into the command prompt and it renews the 30 days. I can do this a maximum of 4 times. So every season I have to backup everything onto my 2nd harddrive and format the 1st one, reinstalling the trial version.

I firmly believe that buying a copy of XP is a waste of money. I should just upgrade to another version of windows, especially with support for XP going down the drain. But my system can barely handle XP right now, so I wouldn’t upgrade until i bought a new computer anyway.

But what about linux? Its free, no renewing, its perfect!
I have some concerns though…. What programs would be impossible to run on linux? I absolutely have to have access to Adobe flash to make my games. I also greatly enjoy playing the games I buy on steam and from what my friend has told me, you have to use WINE in order to play any windows games, its a lot of work to setup some games to do this, and some simply will not play on linux. I love playing games, so that may be a deal breaker.

But linux is faster. A lot faster.

Flag Post

Thinking of setting this up tonight. I guess I should just back everything up on my second harddrive, put linux on a disc, format my first harddrive and then install linux? Ubuntu was exactly what I was aiming to use!
Theres really no huge list of limitations??

Flag Post

If your computer can hardly run XP you should look into getting some better hardware before getting Linux if you wanna be a gamer.

Sure Linux is fast, but getting less intensive software is more temporary than upgrading outdated hardware.

Flag Post

@ Zoronii I know. Getting new hardware is in the cards, but not in the cards… yet.

@Quintrigmeth and everything works fine on Ubuntu as well? Sounds great.