Forums Off-topic

Bioshock's baptism scene shocks pious gamers

14 posts

Flag Post

I’m surfing news websites when my attention is brought to this article. I know this is considered old by internet’s standards, but I thought it was pretty interesting. In summary, it tells the story of a customer demanding a refund after seeing that the game forced him to be baptized for an imaginary religion. According to him, going through this was a sin. After some time, Valve (Steam) returned his money.

My question is: how come this person was more offended by a virtual ritual than the fact that this game was a shooter? How is the showcasing of a fictitious religion worse than murder, which is a capital sin? Am I the only one that thinks that his reasons are invalid or am I missing something?

Flag Post

Cool story.

Flag Post

His reasons are kind of silly but in the world of retail, the customer is always right and he can demand his money back all he wants.

Flag Post

Shows how intelligent these religious freaks are.

Flag Post

He then spent that money on cocaine and roofies for unsuspecting children. Such is the life of a devout follower.

Flag Post

Hurrrr. So, it’s okay to murder people in video games, but as soon as you have to dip your head in magic water, there are suddenly customers lining up for a refund. Stupid.

Flag Post

i wonder why could not this guy instead ask for someone who progressed just past this point to give him a save so he would not have to go through something so horrifying

Flag Post
Originally posted by Fyre_Hawk:

Cool story, bro.

Fix’d.

It’s a game. How is virtual baptism of a fictional character considered bad? In that logic, I can’t play any FPS because I am killing people. Sure, the beginning might be offensive to some, I can understand that, but how is virtual baptism enough to make you quit the game altogether? It’s not even you. It’s not even a real person! If it was really that offensive to him, I’m glad he didn’t see how you kill Combstock.

Flag Post

he obviously did it for a refund imo
bioshock games arent enjoyable so he did this to get his money back

Flag Post
Originally posted by cesarcurado:

bioshock games arent enjoyable so he did this to get his money back

Get out.

Flag Post

Get out.

“Oh, a differing opinion! You’re terrible and wrong!”

Flag Post
Originally posted by Peccancy: