Forums Off-topic

Your opinion on Windows 8

11 posts

Flag Post

So, I hear a lot of criticisms about windows 8. Often, I will be using my laptop, and as soon as I hit the start button, somebody will comment, “EW, Is that windows 8?”

Personally, I have been using it for a while now, and I think it’s fine. It’s pretty much the same as Win 7, except you have a little media center you can escape to instead of the start button.

What are your opinions? Have you tried Windows 8? If so, do you like it?

Flag Post

Windows 8 is just Windows 7 with addons I regret installing it but I don’t dislike its way better than the shitter that was Windows Vista.

Flag Post
Originally posted by KingFresh:

Windows 8 is just Windows 7 with addons I regret installing it but I don’t dislike its way better than the shitter that was Windows Vista.

Actually, the metro screen replaces modules in Windows 7, which were basically little modules you could put on your desktop.

Flag Post

I’ve been using Windows 8 for a few months now.
I hated it at first, but I decided to put up with it because I assumed that I would get used to it and start liking it.

I was wrong.
I still fucking hate it.
I mean, I got a program that adds back in the start menu, but it’s still not the same!

Negatives:
All of the default programs don’t open on desktop so you can’t multitask (I know you can do that weird 2 things open at once thing, but it’s so not the same thing)
None of the default Windows 7 games (Yes, like Solitaire, Chess, Mahjong, etc.) are installed, and I can’t find any good replacements for them.
Even though it’s been out for months, lots of games just fail to work on it.
Whenever I move my mouse to the top right corner, (or bottom left) for example to click the ‘X’ button to close any fucking window, it opens the stupid settings sidebar.
Clicking the network connections button in the taskbar opens an entire sidebar.
You can change the background of the lock screen to a picture, but when you press any button and get to the input your password screen it’s just a solid colour as a background. No customisation.
Microsoft hasn’t released Windows 8 drivers for my headset. Which is made by Microsoft. They haven’t released drivers for their own fucking operating system for their own fucking product.

Positives:
It’s slightly faster than Windows 7
Xbox Smartglass is kinda cool, but it could be a hell of a lot better.

Flag Post

By far the most dramatic shift I’ve seen in a Windows OS change so far, but the more I get used to it the more I like it. Still has some bugs they need to patch out, but I definitely give it a solid 8/10.

Flag Post
None of the default Windows 7 games (Yes, like Solitaire, Chess, Mahjong, etc.) are installed, and I can’t find any good replacements for them.

Microsoft has all of these for free on the Windows appstore.

What games? I have never played or heard of a game, or any program for that matter, that isn’t compatible with Windows 8. Are you sure it isn’t a problem specific to your PC?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Darkscanner:

Microsoft has all of these for free on the Windows appstore.

What games? I have never played or heard of a game, or any program for that matter, that isn’t compatible with Windows 8. Are you sure it isn’t a problem specific to your PC?

They don’t have Chess Titans. They don’t have good versions of any of the others.

And it’s some Steam games that are a bit glitchy.

Flag Post

I switched to Linux Mint before they came out with Windows 8, so I don’t even care. If I have to use any version of Windows (or Mac OS, sometimes), I’m disgusted a bit because it’s just not as friendly as the interface I’m now used to.

Flag Post

I could probably talk a lot about computers, but to prevent myself from going on and on, here’s a very brief synopsis of my view:

Windows 8 is great/“shnazzy”, but a bit confusing at first to changers. In Windows 7, the mentality seems to rest upon organized files, folders, and applications that remain in a “lined-up order.” Those users who are getting used to the Windows 8 mentality, of an App-based interface, find it confusing to not have that “ideal, boring” line up and instead have a “jumble” of options, as most changers describe it as, in one “home screen.” Windows 8 has some great potential and looks state-of-the-art. I will go with Windows 8.

Note: I’m generalizing on what changing users may feel to give a broader perspective to the discussion. Personally, I’m fine with both… Windows 8 has some great new features though.

Flag Post

Windows 8 has great features unfortunately it’s disorganized and hard to understand. That’s why Win 7 is better because it’s simple and yet productive.

Flag Post

Windows 8 will probably have better performance, but I’m still skeptical about the awkward grid system.