Forums Off-topic

Math Help

43 posts

Flag Post

Okay, I’m doing my homework, and I look at the example. It’s called FOIL, and I think it’s simple enough…

But when I go to do the problem, it makes absolutely no sense! FOIL is when you multiply the first terms of an equation, the outer terms, inner terms, and last terms. I do this, and to be sure, I check with the answer in the book. I get somewhat close, but I can’t get the answer.

The equation is (p + 4)( “p squared” + 2p – 7)

The answer is “p cubed” + “6p squared” + p -28

Please help…

Flag Post

Call ‘p squared’ pp, and ‘p cubed’ ppp, just to save me typing it all out.
We have:
(p + 4)(pp + 2p – 7)
= p(pp + 2p – 7) + 4(pp + 2p -7)
= ppp + 2pp – 7p + 4pp + 8p – 28
= ppp + 6pp + p -28

Give me a shout if you need the steps explaining…

Flag Post

Ah, thank you very much. I’ll try using that method from now on for this subject :D

The distributive property makes it easier, I guess…

Flag Post

My method is effectively the FOIL method as far as I can tell, although I’ve never actually heard of FOIL:

p(pp) + p(2p – 7) + 4(pp + 2p) – 4(7)
F + O + I + L

I think I’ve got that right anyway…

Flag Post

I see what I did wrong, now. Instead of multiplying p(2p – 7), I just multiplied p(2p).

It still seems easier with the distributive method.

Flag Post

I had trouble with things like that, but I used a grid method to work it out.

Flag Post

Another question

I’m now doing a problem on the same subject, except I’m finding the area of a triangle using the same method. Would I multiply 1/2 to the final product, or would I have to distribute 1/2, too?

Flag Post

The area of a triangle is Base x Height / 2

Flag Post

1/2 = divide by 2

I know the formula, I’m just wondering if I am to distribute the 1/2 or just multiply it with the end solution.

Flag Post

Multiply with the end solution.

Flag Post

OMG!!!Im doing the same thing in math!!!Its totally easy for me!!! Do you have Algebra 1B

Flag Post

Ain’t Algebra fun?

First
Outside
Inside
Last

First distribute ‘p’ to p squared, 2p, and -7
then distribute 4 to p squared, 2p, and -7
simplify.

srsly, you’re in algebra?

Flag Post

you can use the carat key (^) to denote powers, ie. cubed ^3 or squared ^2.

If you you look at a rectangle it’s area is l * w, if you look at two triangles, and arrange them on their hypotenuses you get a rectangle, with the b = w and h = l. Since the rectangle is composed of two equal triangles, the area is equal 1/2* b*h.

Flag Post

pretty fun math!

Flag Post

I know the formula for the area of a triangle… I was just wondering when I should have multiplied the 1/2. Anyways, I already finished my homework

Flag Post
Originally posted by Pobelt:

Ain’t Algebra fun?

First

Outside

Inside

Last

First distribute ‘p’ to p squared, 2p, and -7

then distribute 4 to p squared, 2p, and -7

simplify.

srsly, you’re in algebra?

Yes

Flag Post
Originally posted by Stoic001:

you can use the carat key (^) to denote powers, ie. cubed ^3 or squared ^2.

If you you look at a rectangle it’s area is l * w, if you look at two triangles, and arrange them on their hypotenuses you get a square, with the b = w and h = l. Since the rectangle is composed of two equal triangles, the area is equal 1/2* b*h.

Originally posted by UzumakiNaruto:

I know the formula for the area of a triangle… I was just wondering when I should have multiplied the 1/2. Anyways, I already finished my homework

If you you look at a rectangle it’s area is l * w, if you look at two triangles, and arrange them on their hypotenuses you get a rectangle, with the b = w and h = l. Since the rectangle is composed of two equal triangles, the area is equal 1/2 * b*h.

If you put two triangles together you get either a square or a rectangle, since you have two triangles you divide the area of the rectangle by two to get the area of the triangle.

Flag Post

I agreed.

Flag Post

If you think FOIL is bad, wait till you get to imaginary and complex numbers. Multiplying complex numbers, you use FLOI

Flag Post
Originally posted by Blood_Shadow:

If you think FOIL is bad, wait till you get to imaginary and complex numbers. Multiplying complex numbers, you use FLOI

What got me was 3 & 4th semester Calculus…New Math systems and multivariable stuff just made my head spin. I’m glad I don’t need most of that stuff in the real job world :)

and gratz on ur early Algebra II kic but um apparently where you excel in math you fail in manners.

Flag Post
Originally posted by UzumakiNaruto:

Okay, I’m doing my homework, and I look at the example. It’s called FOIL, and I think it’s simple enough…

But when I go to do the problem, it makes absolutely no sense! FOIL is when you multiply the first terms of an equation, the outer terms, inner terms, and last terms. I do this, and to be sure, I check with the answer in the book. I get somewhat close, but I can’t get the answer.

The equation is (p + 4)( “p squared” + 2p – 7)

The answer is “p cubed” + “6p squared” + p -28

Please help…

The FOIL pattern is when you multiply each number to the other number then combine like terms. so your equation looks like this

(p+4)(p^2+2p-7)
=p^3+2p^2-7p+4p^2+8p-28 <- After you get the answer you must combine the like terms.
=p^3+6p^2+p-28

If I can guess, i would say that this is algebra 1 honors? This is really annoying but kongregate really wont be there for the tricky stuff using these polynomials. Listen to what we say you can get it for the things in algebra 2 which dont get any easier.

Flag Post

Being veeery young, I have absolutely no idea what any of this is about. Our level of advancement in maths (and I’m in the top set) is like this.

7(x + 12) + 3(y – 6)

Which would of course be 7x + 3y + 66 (simplified answer)

Well, that’s one thing, but the entire some may be completely different if it’s a different question.

You don’t want to know how young I am.

Flag Post

Well Mario, you are really close to what they are doing. You’re multiplying numbers through an equation and simplifying. The OP was talking about multiplying variables through an equation. You will be doing that soon enough. Wait I thought you said you were past those exams that the other guy was talking about.

Flag Post

Nope, I’m before. :P I was lying…my real age is a guarded secret, and I shall only convey it through whispers. Do you wish to know of it?

Flag Post

Yep I sent you a whisper too, FYI