Forums Off-topic

I'm infuriated with the insane costs of college textbooks. Assist me.

15 posts

Flag Post

Before I begin, I must post the usual disclaimer to prevent my reputation from being tarnished. I’m taking one semester. My odyssey around the world remains my top priority.

Now. These…teachers want me to buy some overpriced books and shit. One of my teachers is even one of the authors of the required book. What I want from you, OT, is to find me the following books for cheap or…free (if you find the latter from questionable sources, PM me instead of posting here, so that we don’t risk Kongregate getting their panties in a bunch over stealing from thieves) :

- Atlas of World Issues, 2nd edition. The first edition is sold for…1 cent. Plus $3.99 shipping. The second edition…well…hope you have a healthy heart if you decide to click this link.

The problem is that I might actually need the 2nd edition for this. If you can prove me otherwise, do so.

- Fire Suppression Practices and Procedures, 2nd edition. Again, the first edition is vastly cheaper. Keep in mind that this is the book which has my teacher as one of the authors. It’s an online class so I wouldn’t bother with VENGEANCE.

I’ve found the other books that I may or may not need. Aid me with these ones.

Flag Post

its called torrents…

Flag Post
Originally posted by looking4rocks:

its called torrents…

>implying I haven’t tried that

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

lol whoops wrong book

Flag Post

I heard slugbooks is a good website to get college books. Never been there myself because I’m in high school.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Mansmany:

I heard slugbooks is a good website to get college books. Never been there myself because I’m in high school.

That looks like a fine place. Still not seeing cheap books, though :(

Flag Post

If you can get your hands on both of those textbooks for a day or so I recommend xeroxing them. Most bookstores allow you to return a book within a certain amount of time so you can get your money refunded after you do this (but do ask about the return policy before you do this!). Go to a cheap scanning and printing place and just spend a few hours xeroxing them. As long as you do not try to sell the copy to others you should be fine. I recommend listening to music while you do this.

One of my teachers xeroxed us an entire textbook one year because she didn’t have enough for us. It was actually a lot more efficient because we hole punched them, put them in our binders, and were able to highlight/write in them. Hope that helps a little bit.

Flag Post
Originally posted by MmeBunneh:

If you can get your hands on both of those textbooks for a day or so I recommend xeroxing them. Most bookstores allow you to return a book within a certain amount of time so you can get your money refunded after you do this (but do ask about the return policy before you do this!). Go to a cheap scanning and printing place and just spend a few hours xeroxing them. As long as you do not try to sell the copy to others you should be fine. I recommend listening to music while you do this.

One of my teachers xeroxed us an entire French textbook one year because she didn’t have enough for us. It was actually a lot more efficient because we hole punched them, put them in our binders, and were able to highlight/write in them. Hope that helps a little bit.

Ye, I’m thinking of just writing down the questions from one of the books (the online class one) while I’m in the library. I can use my prior knowledge of FIRE, and supplement it with research and the teacher’s powerpoint instead of reading the whole book. Now the issues is finding a way to get my hands on the book for a while.

The Atlas book looks small and easily drainable, but the library doesn’t seem to have it. I must search.

That teacher of yours sounds like a G. I took one class last year to please my parents, and the teacher told us that we wouldn’t be using a book cause it’s too expensive. She just gave us chapters from the book, and I passed with an A.

Flag Post

I don’t even need to read the OP to know this is a college freshman. Everyone knows you don’t buy all your textbooks. Even if you have to buy a couple, you buy them from whatever used textbook store satellites around the campus.

Now on to read the OP.

These…teachers want me to buy some overpriced books and shit. One of my teachers is even one of the authors of the required book.

College is a business, not a learning institution. Don’t let anyone try to fool you otherwise. I’ve had friends with professors requiring you to buy their books. It’s greed.

What I want from you, OT, is to find me the following books for cheap or…free

I’ll be the first to tell you that torrents for most college textbooks do not exist. Your best case is to do as I said above and buy used. There are plenty of websites if you don’t have a used textbook store nearby. You only buy a book new when it’s absolutely, horribly necessary.

- Atlas of World Issues, 2nd edition. The first edition is sold for…1 cent. Plus $3.99 shipping. The second edition…well…hope you have a healthy heart if you decide to click this link.
The problem is that I might actually need the 2nd edition for this. If you can prove me otherwise, do so.

I’d go ahead and buy it. What is $4 wasted in an attempt to save from a $400 purchase? If you’re lucky, you won’t need the 2nd edition. I’ve used previous editions of books successfully on more than one occasion.

the book which has my teacher as one of the authors

Always fun when this happens.

My advice, wait until you know for sure you need to buy them. And if you do have to buy them, look around campus before your college’s bookstore. Buying books new and full-priced is an easy mistake.

Flag Post
Everyone knows you don’t buy all your textbooks. Even if you have to buy a couple, you buy them from whatever used textbook store satellites around the campus.
My advice, wait until you know for sure you need to buy them. And if you do have to buy them, look around campus before your college’s bookstore. Buying books new and full-priced is an easy mistake.

i kno lol

College is a business, not a learning institution. Don’t let anyone try to fool you otherwise. I’ve had friends with professors requiring you to buy their books. It’s greed.

Well, I didn’t take this semester to learn things. I wouldn’t trust public education to educate me. If I want to know things, I study them myslef. Nah, I have other reasons for doing this.

I’ll be the first to tell you that torrents for most college textbooks do not exist.

I suspected as much, my suspicions hardening after looking around :(

I’d go ahead and buy it. What is $4 wasted in an attempt to save from a $400 purchase? If you’re lucky, you won’t need the 2nd edition. I’ve used previous editions of books successfully on more than one occasion.

That’s what I’m thinking, but the book is about contemporary world problems. It might be outdated cause some problems have been resolved and others have appeared.
No way I’m giving $400 for a book anyway.

Flag Post

>get a gun.

Rob you coward.

Flag Post

maybe you can share the book with a friend in the same class
and split the cost

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

Books are toooooo expensive. Same problem here..