Forums Off-topic

For those of you who RP, or may just be curious.

14 posts

Flag Post

So, I was skimming through RPs the other day out of curiosity, since I RP as well (not here, but in a game.). For some reason or another, a post sparked something that I remembered a long while back on my guild’s forum that held the link to a quiz.

The quiz asks various questions, and depending on the answers, it diagnoses you with an “inner demon” that you might have, based on gut reactions to questions and the choices that you’re allowed. Not a perfect quiz by any means, but hey, it’s better than nothing.

The answers you give will provide you with an “inner demon”, which explains what it means, what “sins” you might be prone to committing, and a few tips at how to RP differently that may make your experience, and the experience of others regarding you, easier and more fun. It isn’t all bad, though; it does give good news as well, about the demon type you might have.

No matter what you get, don’t freak out; it’s not the end of the world or anything. Maybe the test is wrong; maybe it pinpointed you exactly. I don’t know; I didn’t make it.

But have some fun with it. Maybe you’ll get a tip or two at the end that you might find useful.

The Quiz

Explanation of the “Seven Sins”:

• Metagaming: Using your player knowledge in a situation concerning things your character would not know
  • DEMing: Standing for “Deus Ex Machina,” trying to ‘save’ everyone from their problems with an unlikely solution that often doesn’t fit the story
  • Forceplay: Writing statements that govern what other characters are doing besides your own
  • Moding: Claiming invincibility and/or playing a character as having ‘godlike’ powers
  • Drama-queening: Attempting to draw the focus of everyone’s interaction to yourself
  • Ostracization: Shunning or putting down other players
  • IC/OOC crossing: Being angry with a player for what their character has done; being angry with a character for what their player has done

Again, I’m not saying anyone is a bad RPer with this test. But maybe it might be handy for some people. Or just fun for others.

And just for kicks, for those of you wanting to share, I’ll start it off: I consistently get the “Helping Claw”. I used to be terrible with it; I’ve gotten much better at taking a step back, though.

Enjoy.

(Apologies if this has been posted before; I searched around, but nothing came up.)

-Deriaz

Flag Post

lol, i do like 5 of those things.
which may be why i suck at RPing.

Flag Post

Your Demon Type is: Unknown

Not everyone is easy to diagnose. If you’ve arrived here after working through the questions, you are either not being completely honest with yourself, or your inner demons are more subtle. All role players suffer from one of the 14 demon types in some form or other. Some are just better at subduing theirs than others. It is also possible for role players to suffer from more than one demon type.

Interesting.

Flag Post

My Demon type is “The Mobius”. Basically I only care about myself, never read other posts, and don’t talk to the other players. Which is pretty accurate.

Excpet I do read posts, and I just haven’t gotten into talking yet. Maybe I will soon.

Flag Post

I know that I mod and DEM, i try not to, it’s hard.

Flag Post

The High Horse

Your outlook on the world is down at everyone else. The demon known as the High Horse gives you a make-believe authority over who is good and bad in a community. You believe that others cannot hold up to your standards in content. You don’t just snub other players who’s play style is not to your liking, you often go out of your way to make certain they feel unwelcome. Slander and rudeness are your tools of the trade, not that you would ever see it that way. After all, in your eyes you’re doing the community a favor by weeding out poor quality rping. The truth of the matter is that the biggest dandelion of them all is you. Keep up that badmouthing and you’re liable to end up with a mouth full of herbicide. If you’re not careful, you’ll soon find yourself plucked and tossed out by the community owners for chasing away their patrons with your snobbing ways.

Common Sins: Ostracizing, IC/OOC crossing, Metagaming

The Cure

Not all rping is everyone’s slice of pie. You, however, are not the supreme chef. Some people like stories with combat, others prefer romance. Some players describe with intricate detail, others with verbal, and others with little of either. All players are of different ages, and for you to expect a 13 year old kid to be on the same playing level as a 45 year old adult is setting the bar a little too high. You never know who is on the other side of the computer screen, so just respect them all. Rather than turning up your nose at players content, mind your own business. Play as you would normally play with the other characters who interact with you. If someone’s character is not your cup of tea, have some manners when it comes to not wanting to play with them. You don’t have to be rude and nasty to someone when you don’t want to play with them. A simple ‘no thank you’ in private will do just fine. Being a stuck up jerk is doing nothing for your own content but making you look like a prissy, spoiled, trouble-making, conflict-starting, elitist.

The Good News
Your POSITIVE influences can help other players to be better with their content. Teaching someone to play does not involve you telling them how dumb or unskilled they are. Lead by example, and other players will follow. Your ability to set your standards high ensures that quality content is usually coming out story line wise, so newcomers can have something to admire as long as you’re not tarnishing yourself by belittling them.

Yeah, pretty much what I thought. I’ve never metagamed, though, but I’m more guilty of the other two things.

Flag Post

Actually, I find this very inaccurate. The first time, I mucked up one of the questions a bit, the second and third time I got things I absolutely am not.

Flag Post

The Mobius

A unique Demon of its kind, the rare Mobius demon causes you to feel that the only importance is yourself. Unlike the Diva-demon, it’s not based on how others are reacting and interacting with you. Infact, for the type of RPing you’re doing – ‘interaction’ doesn’t apply at all. Everything you do under the Mobius Demon is one sided. You don’t pay attention to what other characters are doing, saying, or if they’re even reading what you’ve posted. You’re so absorbed in your own actions, you probably wouldn’t notice if the person you’re chatting with had already logged off.

Common Mobius Sins: ForcePlay, Deming, Moding

The Cure for Mobius

Slooooooow Doooooown. No one is going to bother playing with you once they realize you’d rather play with yourself. Who wants to be at the receiving end of a one-way conversation? Would you? Here’s an exercise to break the habit. Try making statements that require a reaction from someone.

Instead of buys the man at the bar a drink try saying
orders a drink, not for himself apparently, as he sets the glass down in front of the man at the bar.
You could also have the character be direct and ask a question
“How about a drink sir?”
The important part of this exercise is to wait for the reaction of the other player. Be patient – not everyone is a fast typist. If you just can’t wait, you may want to give up on this kind of roleplaying, because it sounds like you’re interested in being alone.

Good News:

Many Mobius victims are very talented and descriptive writers. Don’t lose that, just allow the input of others to enrich your work.

Wow. That’s not true at all. Except for the talented writer part.

Flag Post

[HappyYay why didn’t you sign up to my RP?]

And High Horse.

Flag Post
Originally posted by HappyYay:

The High Horse

Your outlook on the world is down at everyone else. The demon known as the High Horse gives you a make-believe authority over who is good and bad in a community. You believe that others cannot hold up to your standards in content. You don’t just snub other players who’s play style is not to your liking, you often go out of your way to make certain they feel unwelcome. Slander and rudeness are your tools of the trade, not that you would ever see it that way. After all, in your eyes you’re doing the community a favor by weeding out poor quality rping. The truth of the matter is that the biggest dandelion of them all is you. Keep up that badmouthing and you’re liable to end up with a mouth full of herbicide. If you’re not careful, you’ll soon find yourself plucked and tossed out by the community owners for chasing away their patrons with your snobbing ways.

Common Sins: Ostracizing, IC/OOC crossing, Metagaming

The Cure

Not all rping is everyone’s slice of pie. You, however, are not the supreme chef. Some people like stories with combat, others prefer romance. Some players describe with intricate detail, others with verbal, and others with little of either. All players are of different ages, and for you to expect a 13 year old kid to be on the same playing level as a 45 year old adult is setting the bar a little too high. You never know who is on the other side of the computer screen, so just respect them all. Rather than turning up your nose at players content, mind your own business. Play as you would normally play with the other characters who interact with you. If someone’s character is not your cup of tea, have some manners when it comes to not wanting to play with them. You don’t have to be rude and nasty to someone when you don’t want to play with them. A simple ‘no thank you’ in private will do just fine. Being a stuck up jerk is doing nothing for your own content but making you look like a prissy, spoiled, trouble-making, conflict-starting, elitist.

The Good News

Your POSITIVE influences can help other players to be better with their content. Teaching someone to play does not involve you telling them how dumb or unskilled they are. Lead by example, and other players will follow. Your ability to set your standards high ensures that quality content is usually coming out story line wise, so newcomers can have something to admire as long as you’re not tarnishing yourself by belittling them.

Yeah, pretty much what I thought. I’ve never metagamed, though, but I’m more guilty of the other two things.

Same as me! :P

Flag Post

The Mobius

A unique Demon of its kind, the rare Mobius demon causes you to feel that the only importance is yourself. Unlike the Diva-demon, it’s not based on how others are reacting and interacting with you. Infact, for the type of RPing you’re doing – ‘interaction’ doesn’t apply at all. Everything you do under the Mobius Demon is one sided. You don’t pay attention to what other characters are doing, saying, or if they’re even reading what you’ve posted. You’re so absorbed in your own actions, you probably wouldn’t notice if the person you’re chatting with had already logged off.

Common Mobius Sins: ForcePlay, Deming, Moding

The Cure for Mobius

Slooooooow Doooooown. No one is going to bother playing with you once they realize you’d rather play with yourself. Who wants to be at the receiving end of a one-way conversation? Would you? Here’s an exercise to break the habit. Try making statements that require a reaction from someone.

Instead of buys the man at the bar a drink try saying
orders a drink, not for himself apparently, as he sets the glass down in front of the man at the bar.
You could also have the character be direct and ask a question
“How about a drink sir?”
The important part of this exercise is to wait for the reaction of the other player. Be patient – not everyone is a fast typist. If you just can’t wait, you may want to give up on this kind of roleplaying, because it sounds like you’re interested in being alone.

Good News:

Many Mobius victims are very talented and descriptive writers. Don’t lose that, just allow the input of others to enrich your work.

Hmm, interesting… but I don’t mod or DEM hardly at all, but I guess I ForcePlay a bit

Flag Post

^^That’s me. :D

Flag Post

This is me.
‘Ostracization: Shunning or putting down other players’
It’s kinda true. =P

Flag Post

this is coll when it was telling me what i was my gut felt wierd i felt like i was being probed or something i need to show this to my freinds