Forums Off-topic

Is Facebook Really Bad?

25 posts

Flag Post

I have been begging my parents for a Facebook forever, and they always say that it is “unsafe”, because someone can go on to your account and get personal information. I don’t see how someone could to this, because all you put on your profile is like what state you live in and stuff about you, which couldn’t be used to track you down or anything. Is this a reasonable excuse? Post your opinions.

Flag Post
Originally posted by moomuffinq:

I have been begging my parents for a Facebook forever, and they always say that it is “unsafe”, because someone can go on to your account and get personal information. I don’t see how someone could to this, because all you put on your profile is like what state you live in and stuff about you, which couldn’t be used to track you down or anything. Is this a reasonable excuse? Post your opinions.

oh yeah you know like all you do is like upload your photos so someone can see what you look like and put what school you go to and what city and state you know it’s not dangerous at all
&if you need to ask your parents to get a facebook, you probably aren’t old enough for one.

Flag Post

Well anyone who does that is really stupid; I would not even think about doing that because it gives other “weird people” info on where you live.

Flag Post

Well anyone who does that is really stupid; I would not even think about doing that because it gives other “weird people” info on where you live.

So you are not gonna upload ANY of your photos on facebook?

Flag Post

Why have one then?

Flag Post

You can always make a private profile… I’m pretty sure you can do that… Hopefully I did…

Flag Post

I stopped caring a long time ago. I’ve heard about people getting raped by people they met online, but usually they were people who accepted random friend invites.

OMG SOMEBODY NAMED “SUPAHHOTGUYZ0R” ADDED ME. IM GOING TO GIVE HIM ALL MY INFORMATION LOLZ

Flag Post

oh yeah you know like all you do is like upload your photos so someone can see what you look like and put what school you go to and what city and state you know it’s not dangerous at all
&if you need to ask your parents to get a facebook, you probably aren’t old enough for one.

Of course, you don’t actually have to upload photos, say what school you go to and where you live, or anything other than your name for that matter. On top of that, you can make a private profile where people can only see your name and profile picture. To find out anything more, you would have to accept them as your friend.

Seriously, people are paranoid…

Flag Post

I’m just curious; why do you need a Facebook page if you’re 13 (As your profile says; not that that can’t be faked, of course)?

I mean, I made a private one to accept my friends, seeing as after this school year we all scatter to colleges, and I completely leave the country. It’s a good way to keep in touch, since we all use different IM programs and stuff. But at 13 years old? What are you going to use it for? Why would you want one?

The others already covered how you can make the profile private and all that. I’m just unsure of why you’d want one if you don’t have a good need for it. Lots of people live without Facebook pages; if your parents say no, well, in my opinion, I’d give up on asking. You’ll be fine without one.

-Deriaz

Flag Post

I find facebook and myspace totally useless.

Mainly myspace. =/

Flag Post

This is what those kind of sites will do to you, just I got to put it in a funny way.

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vMY7AE9-7cw&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;color1=0x5d1719&amp;color2=0xcd311b&amp;border=1" height="364" width="445"></embed>

Flag Post

The government monitors facebook

Flag Post

There are ways to make your Facebook profile private. You don’t even need to show your email address, state, or anything on there.

Flag Post
Originally posted by SUPERKILLATRON:

The government monitors facebook

No, they don’t.

Facebook moderators monitor facebook.

The government has nothing to do with facebook.

Flag Post

Because there are never problems caused by these sites, right?

Flag Post

HELL NO!
I use Facebook
and im not crazy.
Search me.
I am David Smith.
Annapolis, Maryland, USA.

Flag Post

HELL YES.
I love kids:D
I am crazy
Ill search you
Ohh hai David
Im coming to Annapolis, Maryland

Welcome to the internet.

Flag Post
Originally posted by arcaneCoder:

Because there are never problems caused by these sites, right?

Problems get cause my nearly everything- but I think he’s referring to the popular
“On noez! U can’t make an account mah son, a pedophile will get youz!” belief. =/

Flag Post
Originally posted by xyz702:

HELL YES.

I love kids:D

I am crazy

Ill search you

Ohh hai David

Im coming to Annapolis, Maryland

Welcome to the internet.

Really?

Flag Post

I’m surprised your parents would let you on an internet forum but not Facebook, really. They can much more easily monitor what you do and say there, also.

Flag Post

I’m very good with servers, and such, so personally I agree that facebook is dangerous. All it takes is one screwup, and you’re screwed.

Flag Post

Unless you want some virtual lady unmentionables, you don’t want facebook.

Flag Post

If you choose to make your profile only available to friends then it isn’t so bad… but it defaults to everyone being able to see everything about you, your friends, where you live, your photos so you need to remember to change the settings.

Facebook is owned by Micro$oft now I think? http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7061042.stm

Flag Post

If you choose to make your profile only available to friends then it isn’t so bad… but it defaults to everyone being able to see everything about you, your friends, where you live, your photos so you need to remember to change the settings.

I was defaulted a private profile, I believe.

Flag Post

I don’t see whats wrong with it, if you don’t want strangers looking into profile and finding out where you live then just put your profile to private. As long as you know what your doing, you don’t give strangers your information, and be careful, then everything should be fine.