Forums Off-topic

Help me pls

17 posts

Flag Post

I have to do an essay about the civil rights movement and it’s due tomorrow, but for some reason it’s very difficult for me and I’m having a very hard time being able to focus on it. Maybe part of the reason why is because there’s 2 little kids here making noise and a baby crying, but I have the intro paragraph done but I can’t really think of what specific things to talk about exactly because I have to summarize the entire movement including the civil rights movement of Native Americans and Hispanics in just 3 body paragraphs and no more. Any suggestions? Please help, finals are in a week and I need this to pass the class.

Oh and also I have to talk about all 3 civil rights movements in every paragraph and compare them or something.

Flag Post

talk about the civil rights OF CROWS :>>>>

Flag Post

Well if it’s just three paragraphs why not the traditional beginning, middle, and end format?

Paragraph one can talk about the history of what led to the civil rights of each such as how they were treated, and what event (if any) sparked the beginning of what inspired the civil rights movement of each (a speech, a horrific event, or they just had enough).

The next paragraph you could use was the tactics each civil rights used. Did they do it peacefully, violently, through loud protests, or silent marches, etc. You can also put what the leaders (if any) of each movement did during this time to move it forward.

The last paragraph may be about how it ended (did they get what they wanted or was it a disaster), and the result of what happened as a result of the movement.

Well now what can you compare them to can be a bit tricky. I’ll toss a few sample topics down the aisle based on the previous three suggestions.

The leaders: How did they get their point across (peacefully protesting or through fiery demagoguery and loud protests) and who did they target as their audience (the young, the old, etc).

Impacts: Compare how they positively/negatively impacted society and those who it was meant to help

Reasons: Every cause needs a reason for momentum, and you can compare what sparked each of these cause to begin, and what kept the cause together without dividing it.

Flag Post

http://essaytyper.com/

I don’t suggest just handing in what it spits back, but it can definitely help you get started. Just type randomly and it’ll pull stuff for you from the net.

Flag Post

Thank you so much for your help FlyingCat, I was able to start it thanks to you. :)

I have one of the main body paragraphs done now, how does it look?

Before the Civil Rights Movement in the 1960’s, the United States was a very different place than it is today. It was a land of little opportunity if your skin color was anything other than white. Minority groups faced daily discrimination, unemployment, and were often poor and were forced to live in slums. Minority groups were also segregated from the white population and had poorer quality services than services that were given to whites. African Americans, Hispanics, and Native Americans fought for equal treatment, and each of these minority groups had a similar experience during their civil rights movements.

Each of these groups had a similar goal. African Americans faced harsh discrimination in the southern states. For example, there’s the case of Emmett Till, a young African American boy who was gruesomely murdered by two white men simply because he whistled at one of the men’s wife. This is not the only case though, because there has been several other lynchings similar to this. African Americans also were often forced to have low income jobs doing hard manual labor just to survive. The main goal of African Americans was to have equal treatment and equal opportunities of jobs and education, which goes along with the goals of Hispanics during the same time period. In California during the 70’s, Hispanic farm workers faced dangerous working conditions and were very underpaid for their hard manual labor, sometimes making less than 50 cents per hour. Workers had health problems from being doused with pesticides while working in the fields and from working in the unrelenting heat of summer with no water made available to them. The main goal of Hispanics was to have a safe working environment, better pay, and to have more job opportunities. Native Americans were struggling during the same time, as they were forced to live in poor conditions in reservations and had their culture stripped away from them. Native Americans faced discrimination from whites just as they have in the past, and in the case of the Pine Ridge Reservation, the Native Americans who were living there were controlled by a white man who had little sympathy towards them. The main goal of the Native Americans was to have equal rights, to be able to express their culture, and to have better living conditions.

Oh and sorry for the wall of text, I know it’s pretty long.

Flag Post

You forgot to mention the modern genocide of whites.

Flag Post

Congrats, now your teacher can google your essay and find it, leaving him/her convinced that you lifted it from the web.

Flag Post
Originally posted by finkidz5_:

Congrats, now your teacher can google your essay and find it, leaving him/her convinced that you lifted it from the web.

Actually I typed all of that myself based on what I learned in that class.

Flag Post

Of course, I don’t doubt that. But now that you posted it, it’ll come up in an online search. And your teacher doesn’t know that you wrote it yourself.

Flag Post
Originally posted by finkidz5_:

Of course, I don’t doubt that. But now that you posted it, it’ll come up in an online search. And your teacher doesn’t know that you wrote it yourself.

Oh OK, if she finds this thread then I’ll just say right here that I go to Molalla High School.

Flag Post

Ask Vika.

Flag Post

Copied so no remove

Originally posted by VanHalen1:

Thank you so much for your help FlyingCat, I was able to start it thanks to you. :)

Before the Civil Rights Movement in the 1960’s, the United States was a very different place than it is today. It was a land of little opportunity if your skin color was anything other than white. Minority groups faced daily discrimination, unemployment, and were often poor and were forced to live in slums. Minority groups were also segregated from the white population and had poorer quality services than services that were given to whites. African Americans, Hispanics, and Native Americans fought for equal treatment, and each of these minority groups had a similar experience during their civil rights movements.

Each of these groups had a similar goal. African Americans faced harsh discrimination in the southern states. For example, there’s the case of Emmett Till, a young African American boy who was gruesomely murdered by two white men simply because he whistled at one of the men’s wife. This is not the only case though, because there has been several other lynchings similar to this. African Americans also were often forced to have low income jobs doing hard manual labor just to survive. The main goal of African Americans was to have equal treatment and equal opportunities of jobs and education, which goes along with the goals of Hispanics during the same time period. In California during the 70’s, Hispanic farm workers faced dangerous working conditions and were very underpaid for their hard manual labor, sometimes making less than 50 cents per hour. Workers had health problems from being doused with pesticides while working in the fields and from working in the unrelenting heat of summer with no water made available to them. The main goal of Hispanics was to have a safe working environment, better pay, and to have more job opportunities. Native Americans were struggling during the same time, as they were forced to live in poor conditions in reservations and had their culture stripped away from them. Native Americans faced discrimination from whites just as they have in the past, and in the case of the Pine Ridge Reservation, the Native Americans who were living there were controlled by a white man who had little sympathy towards them. The main goal of the Native Americans was to have equal rights, to be able to express their culture, and to have better living conditions.

Flag Post

Well it wouldn’t matter anyways if she found it here, as she knows she specifically taught those things in class, I made this thread the day before the due date, and also I already stated what school I go to.

Anyways does it look good so far?

Flag Post

I’ll try to add any comments or make suggested changes in bold, since I’m fairly bad with forum formatting. It’s a very nice paper, although it may be embellished a little, although I might suggest avoiding using contractions if you want the paper to sound a bit more formal.

I might suggest ordering the paper so you explain what injustice they suffered, and link those together like “African Americans suffered in way x → while they did not suffer this way exactly, the Hispanics were similarly exposed to treatment y which is similar to treatment x → African American had problem z, and despite being very different it shares similarities with way x and treatment y.” before finishing the paper off with something like “Despite all three of these races being treated unfairly in different ways, they each fought their war of civil rights. Whether it was violence against them, unfair working conditions, or they couldn’t be where they wanted to be, they fought for similar principles, they fought for reasons a, b, c.” Something like that. Just a random suggestion though, but I think expressing all the problems first, and showing their differences before moving onto how they had similar ideologies might make a good impact.

Originally posted by VanHalen1:

Before the Civil Rights Movement in the 1960’s, the United States was a very different place than it is today. It was a land of little opportunity if your skin color was anything other than white. Minority groups faced daily discrimination, unemployment, and were often poor and as a result, they were forced to live in slums. Minority groups were also segregated from the white population and services they received government and private enterprises were inferior to services given to the white populace. African Americans, Hispanics, and Native Americans fought for equal treatment, and despite the differences in their background, each of these minority groups had a similar experience when they fought for equal treatment during their civil rights movements.

Each of these groups had a similar goal. African Americans faced harsh discrimination in the southern states, (combine the two sentences) for example, there’s the case of Emmett Till, a young African American boy who was gruesomely murdered by two white men simply because he whistled at one of the men’s wife. This is not the only case of violence caused by inequality though, because there has been several other lynchings similar to this incident. African Americans also were often forced to have low income jobs doing hard manual labor just to survive. The main goal of African Americans was to have equal treatment and equal opportunities to pursue fair jobs and a proper education, which goes along with the goals of Hispanics during the same time period. In California during the 70’s, Hispanic farm workers faced dangerous working conditions and despite investing their will and body into hard manual labor, they were often underpaid, sometimes even making less than fifty cents per hour. Workers suffered from health problems from being doused with pesticides while working in the fields and from working in the unrelenting heat of summer without any water made available to them. The main goal of Hispanics was to have safer working conditions, better pay, and to have equal job opportunities. Native Americans were struggling during the same time, as they were forced to live in poor conditions in reservations and had their land and culture stripped away from them. Native Americans faced discrimination from whites just as they have in the past, and in the case of the Pine Ridge Reservation, the Native Americans who were living there were oppressed by a white man who held little sympathy towards them. Similar to the African Americans and Hispanics, the main goal of the Native Americans was to have equal rights, to be able to express their culture, and to have better living conditions.

Flag Post

Sorry for the bump, but I’m almost done with my essay and I just need to find out what the exact accomplishments of the American Indian Movement in the 70’s was and then I’ll be done, but I can’t seem to find anything specific on Google search though. Can someone help me?

EDIT: Nevermind I just finished it and emailed it :D

Flag Post

“The Fluidity of Penis.
Gender Norms & Racial Bias in the Study of the Modern ‘Penis’”

I can’t contain my childish laughter.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Gevock:

“The Fluidity of Penis.
Gender Norms & Racial Bias in the Study of the Modern ‘Penis’”

I can’t contain my childish laughter.

I just got “The Modern Penis: A Normative Critique.”

Edit: Thinking it over, 20 minutes later, I can’t believe we just did that. What are we, twelve?